It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Sith Planet...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:20 pm 

Hi guys and gals (guessing there's a few in here somewhere?)...

I stumbled upon this website today thanks to Facebook.

http://sithplanet.com/project/darth-vader-helmet/

What's the delio? Are these Vader helmets recasts? Is this a consignment site? I believe that's a JB Helmet top left.

:cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sith Planet...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:28 pm 

SithPlanet's original helmet was ANH-style, based on something of FIberdyne origins (US mold). SithPlanet has worked with Portumac, either reselling Portumac's products, or having Portumac make SithPlanet products. SithPlanet does have other products such as models, but for the purpose of the Den and its focus on props, I'll stay focused on just Vader props in the scope of my answer.

The reason why the helmet looks a bit like a JB is because JB's was based on a Don Post Deluxe. The Don Post Deluxe is related to the 20th Century, but diluted down.

I believe what we are seeing here is a combination of Portumac's DP Deluxe mask, modified, combined with a Darth Stone V1 dome (20th century based).

It's not a bad generic resemblance of a ROTJ Vader. However, I would caution people of pursuing Portumac. Over on the 501stSithLords Detachment forums, we've discussed a serious issue of recasting. Portumac had not only recast the eFX ANH Vader as his own ANH Vader product, but under the advisement of an SLD member produced an ESB based on modifying (howbeit incorrectly) the eFX.

Additionally, the recasting didn't stop there after Portumac was contacted by the leadership of the 501st Sith Lords Detachment (SLD) at the time. Ace Replicas, a fan who produced a variety of aluminum-bodied Vader chest boxes was plagiarized by Portumac. There are photos on Portumac's FB of the interior of his boxes - and the method of milling and certain key hole positions were copied - but not used because those holes were used to enable Ace Replicas' functionality.

SLD leaders have posted warnings to 501st members on the website for the recasting.

If anyone needs something that is based on an idealized Don Post Deluxe but looks more accurate than Portumac's, I suggest checking out JMC's helmets.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )