It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Royal guard figure/kit
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:42 pm 
Random avatar

I asked about this figure a few years back on rebelscum and no one had info (or they just don't like me), so since its a kit I finally remembered to ask you guys...

I've been told it was released in either 1998 or 1999 at event in Japan called "Wonderfest" - guessing the later date there.
. Its a resin kit smaller than the normal SW figures (half a head shorter compared to another RG)
Picture shows before and after (although the parts are just set on)
the bottom of the figure has the following pressed into it

METALIX
Anyone give me more info about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

I saw one of these sell on eBay some time ago... no real info on the kit or who made it, sorry, but from what I've been told: rare outside of Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:05 pm 

This style and size of kit do tend to show up recast once in a while with creative titles like - emperors guard or cloaked guard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:44 pm 
Random avatar
Usually kits that are Japanes Wonderfest Specials are licensed kits that are produced to be sold at Wonderfest only - and only for the one day of W'fest.

The organizers of W'fest Japan sell the license beforehand and only for a very limited number of kits/figures. Usually the number of copies are extremely small: as little as 3-5 kits sometimes...

The advantage of these licensing deals is that the kit producer can produce and sell a FULLY LICENSED item, w/out having to spend the big bucks... I think, usually around 20% of the selling price or something like that... which, compared to getting a license here in the US is like nothing...

A friend of mine, who produces a small line of Toho/Daiei kaiju kits, was able to aquire licensing [w/ the help of some Japanese friends] for his kits to be sold at the W'fest Japan... very good experience/deal for all parties involved.

The license however is for Japan ONLY... so, ideally - the items should remain in Japan... of course - eventually, many of these limited items fall into the hands of recasters and make their way onto ebay, etc.

The Royal Guard looks nice... seems that the original came w/ a machined metal force pike? Pretty cool. Wish, there was a good/accurate 1/6 kit of the Royal Guard available... I love the elegance of that character.

NoHumorMan wrote:
I saw one of these sell on eBay some time ago... no real info on the kit or who made it, sorry, but from what I've been told: rare outside of Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:54 am 
Random avatar

marcvs66 wrote:
The license however is for Japan ONLY... so, ideally - the items should remain in Japan... of course - eventually, many of these limited items fall into the hands of recasters and make their way onto ebay, etc.

The Royal Guard looks nice... seems that the original came w/ a machined metal force pike? Pretty cool. Wish, there was a good/accurate 1/6 kit of the Royal Guard available... I love the elegance of that character.

Thanks for the info.
Never thought it could be a recast - mainly because I've only ever seen one on ebay... and I won that :D

Anyway of telling if this is original or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:58 pm 
Random avatar
PhantomShadow wrote:
Thanks for the info.
Never thought it could be a recast - mainly because I've only ever seen one on ebay... and I won that :D

Anyway of telling if this is original or not?

Hey, Phantom Shadow... is that force-pike that came w/ your kit machined or a white-metal casting? If it's machined, I would say that your kit is most likely an original... I've never seen a recaster who would go through the trouble of having a part of the kit machined... too costly... and since the idea of selling recasts is basically to make a quick buck... a recaster would have just cast the force-pike in resin and left it at that...

If the force-pike is a white-metal casting... again... I would tend to think that a recaster would not go through the trouble of having a small piece like that done in white-metal... which requires different molds, etc.

So [I'm gonna stick my head out here] - I'm thinking, you might very well have an original W-fest kit in your posession... good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm 
Random avatar

marcvs66 wrote:

Hey, Phantom Shadow... is that force-pike that came w/ your kit machined or a white-metal casting? If it's machined, I would say that your kit is most likely an original... ... a recaster would have just cast the force-pike in resin and left it at that...

If the force-pike is a white-metal casting... again... I would tend to think that a recaster would not go through the trouble of having a small piece like that done in white-metal... which requires different molds, etc.

The force pike is metal, I'm guessing the type of metal used for 25 mm wargaming figs. I'm not into those types of figures so not sure if that is "white-metal casting" or lead or what ever.

marcvs66 wrote:
So [I'm gonna stick my head out here] - I'm thinking, you might very well have an original W-fest kit in your posession... good stuff.

I'll be taking pics tomorrow, so I'll take a close up of the staff. And also the bottom of the figure. The text on the bottom is very clear - not sure if that detail would come up on a recast or not - hopefully I can get a good picture of it aswell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:59 pm 
Random avatar

Here is the close up pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:58 am 
Random avatar
PhantomShadow wrote:
Here is the close up pics

OK - the force-pike looks like a clean white-metal casting... the bottom of the figure looks crisp and sharp w/ just one mold-line going around the figure... I would say: that looks pretty good to me... should be original... unless the kanji/symbols on the piece of cardboard that has the force-pike taped to it, turn out to be Korean or Thai or something... now, if that was the case... BUT - nahhh - your figure looks pretty original to me [color of resin, etc.]... enjoy it and build and paint it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:42 am 
Random avatar

marcvs66 wrote:
your figure looks pretty original to me [color of resin, etc.]... enjoy it and build and paint it!

YAY!!

Build and paint it..... you want me to ruin it
:lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Well... the feet are the pouring area... so unless the recaster made a cast of the bottom stamp first and then pressed it into the curing resin as it was still in the mold, I'd think it's a safe bet that it is an original. Also... recasters use white or off-white resin... never this more yellowy/tan stuff, as it is more expensive.

:thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:03 am 
Random avatar

Small update.

There was a Japanese collecting Panel at the recent Celebration Europe. I figured if someone has an idea about this figure, it would be the Japanese collectors. So I gave a friend who was going a photo of the figure and told him to go ask about it. He did. And they didn't know anything about it
hehehe :lol

:rolleyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:20 am 
Site Admin

LOL... that sux... here you were hoping for additional info and confirmation... and they don't know... that's just... funny... :lol