It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ROTJ Darth Vader- Kotobukiya/Art fx 1:7 scale
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Kotobukiya Artfx
Darth Vader 1.7 Scale soft vinyl statue

ImageImage

Packaging ***1/2
The packaging is really the same format as the smaller ESB Artfx figure. This packaging is similar to the Sideshow statues . It’s simplicity along with an elegant design is effective. The product is displayed from the figures various views. I would of liked to see more reference to the movies like the Sideshow packaging but the design is nice overall and as usual a nice use of dark colours.

ImageImage

Sculpt/Outfit- **
On the surface the sculpt is fairly positive but unfortunately when even compared to the 8 inch Art FX Empire Vader you would be surprised to see a vast difference in quality. It looks like Vader but the sculpt is very cheap and plastic looking. A major disappointment for a £130 figure/Statue. A more detailed explanation is reviewed in movie accuracy below.

ImageImage

Paint ***1/2
This figure doesn’t contain too much slop and the application is done to a good standard. The chest armour colour is incorrect where as they got it right for the ESB version minus the bells. This figure incorporates the same flaw with the bell colour not being all black. I’m not crazy about the colours used overall, definitely not a high end paint selection.

Pose **
Where as the old ROTJ Kotobukiya had a nice flowing dramatic and dynamic pose to it, this attempt is neither of it’s predecessor. It’s just clumsy. It doesn’t install any menace or drama, not that a statue or figure has to incorporate that much like the Attakus V1 but if you are going to do a pose like this then at least hit the middle ground. Unsure if the decision was based on the excellent pose of the ESB version being safe and they decided to do something exciting here but other than Vader looking like he’s jumped and landed in a supposedly cool or menacing way I fail to see the attraction.

ImageImage

Movie Accuracy *1/2
Starting with the dome the sculpt is weak. The strip is too wide, the height of the dome in relation to the mask doesn’t sit accurately and the whole thing it’s a fairly basic attempt from flanges to domecap. The face is also a wish wash of underpar and weak comic book detailing based on the reveal in some respects. The eyes aren’t actually bad and a semi decent triangle section for the mouth but in-between the detail from the cheeks to the tubes it’s a poor attempt, as for that fat lip I take it the stunt mask was the reference as it’s terrible. A pretty tacky attempt in my opinion. The chestbox is very average at best, not one feature is remotely accurate and the pushed in lights instead of them being raised is another clumsy effort, once again it’s a no thrills attempt. Onto the suit and the robes I can’t fathom how the excellent body from Kotobukiyas ESB Vader was such a hit and this suit so poor. Plastic looking, lack of definition and detail as well as ignoring any attempt at accuracy. The toy like cape and robes are simply ridiculous as is one of the worst cod pieces I’ve ever seen. The shins are more positive, not an overly accurate point but a decent attempt and better than a few around, pity once again the boots let the shins down. What is with the high boot design underneath where you actually can see the boot being taller than the shin? It’s such a sloppy mistake and as for the big clunky boots I see a repeat of the same error Kotobukiya used for the ESB Version when in the past they have done much better.
Finally the belt while it suffers from accurate cosmetics it’s not a bad attempt on the boxes but once again accuracy wise it’s behind the ESB version. In fact the only thing I would credit here is the tusks. They seem like a solid attempt over everything mentioned.

ImageImageImageImage

Display Status *1/2
This wouldn’t make a high end display room In my opinion. It screams function over art with the light up and it’s just an 11inch cheapish looking attempt that resembles Vader without the substance and quality.

Value **
I paid £130 for this at the time of release and it’s now cheaper on eBay around the £100 mark. Is it value for money with an 11inch figure with 2 heads, 2 lightsabers and a light up feature? The answer is no. I would say too much emphasis over this lighting up over accuracy has been the priority and you get little thrills for a decent amount of cash exchanged. This should be £59.99 at the very most I’m afraid and to think it’s more or less the same price as Gentle Giants ROTS black Vader version is a surprise.

ImageImageImage

Overall **
The description on the back of the box raves at how the details and figure have been recreated to such a high standard with accurate details which is almost laughable. Some may find this harsh but this just made 2 stars. Additionally I can’t understand how a good enough company like Kotobukiya would make a $45 ESB version some 3 inches smaller (which knocks this sculpt and design out the water) so positive and this so lame. It’s not even meant to be a toy but an adult collectible and for the price it’s an insult to the fans intelligence to give glossy packaging and fail to deliver a worthy product. There is no excuse at the material components used as far better attempts are around using the same materials. Very disappointing and all for a product that lights up with inaccurate colours giving us collectors a very poor attempt and robbing us of a decent representation of the Return Of The Jedi Vader. Kotobukiya have to put the same amount of effort into their sculpts as they once did if they want to compete in a better market as it‘s only a matter of time that sales suffer through competition because you get no bang for your buck with this latest Vader.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject: Re: ROTJ Darth Vader- Kotobukiya/Art fx 1:7 scale
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 pm 

i couldn't agree with you more on this review.
once again, excellent review my friend :thumbsup

Profile E-mail