The Prop Den
http://thepropden.aokforums.com/

eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)
http://thepropden.aokforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4173
Page 2 of 3

Author:  jkno [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

With the interior fiberglass texture you will never be able to use a real 3-M head band like in the originals but the interior (inaccurate) padding will be the only choice. And even so the fb texture will be visible on visor interior sides...

Legend is weathered (really curious how they will nail the weathering - just look at the eFX PCR Sandtroopers - looks like it was drowned in Bantha poodoo), Limited is pristine (that is what I want), also Legend only sold on eFX site = again the same crap for the international customers. Thank you eFX for a "true" Legend! If we want Legend, then lets it be REAL Legend.

As I already said on another forum after these facts the Legend means only it is made from an original mold. That is all and nothing else alas. And thus for me name loses the "Legend" aura it had, it is just a copy of an original mold which could also be made in wood, led, porcelain, steel, or even clay as long as it keeps that shape - which I kind of think will be a bit altered to fit better too.

Author:  Midnight Trooper [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

jkno wrote:
-it is just a copy of an original mold-

Ho hum... Guess I wont bother then. :cool:

Seriously I get why people are upset its FG. It seems like it should have been faithful to the original material and construction. But somebody who understands how the originals were made should explain to the Chinese how to make a few hundred of them that way.

BTW the original helmets were painted.
So lets see, original molds, molds taken from original parts, accurate paintjob, accurate shape... Just that pesky FG texture from not being able to do it any other way and people are this disappointed? When you have a prop replica company, do a better job.

Author:  jkno [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

They could also add some real accurate parts like the 3-M interior. But I can bet it will have padding inside.

Author:  No Humor Man [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

Midnight Trooper wrote:
Seriously I get why people are upset its FG. It seems like it should have been faithful to the original material and construction. But somebody who understands how the originals were made should explain to the Chinese how to make a few hundred of them that way.

BTW the original helmets were painted.
So lets see, original molds, molds taken from original parts, accurate paintjob, accurate shape... Just that pesky FG texture from not being able to do it any other way and people are this disappointed? When you have a prop replica company, do a better job.

They have a lot of things going for them. It's just the original announcements that are biting them in the ass now. That's what got people's hopes way up there, so understandably the new approach is a bucket of cold water that probably wouldn't have been as hard to digest if the original announcements about "in the accurate material" hadn't been made. Also, there is only ONE reason not to make these in ABS and if the Legend helmet is limited to 250 pieces like the Vader helmet was supposed to be... then it's all about whether eFX thinks the Chinese company can actually trim and assemble 250 helmets in ABS exactly the same. We heard from several fan made creators who did theirs the original way that they are a PITA to assemble. So the fiberglass makes sense in that regard... but it still sorta kills the LEGEND dream many people had, myself included... and it just doesn't feel that legendary that the only difference between the two versions is a weathered paint job. It sorta cheapens the Legend edition in a way.

If they can fix the softness of the face, which would require a new and better pull from the original face mold than they did, mold that and cast in fiberglass, + fixing the placement of the face in the visor and fix the placement of the face and visor piece on the back piece (raising it to sit flush at the top), then they have a winner.

It was noted that the snout detail looked rather crappy, but I guess they molded and cast an original one?

Author:  No Humor Man [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

The thing is. When doing these in fiberglass... then using the original vac-forming molds creates a problem, as you are then having to deal with whether the trimming and assembly is up to par with the original pieces. When making licensed fiberglass production helmets you mold the outside of an original helmet. That gives you accurate shape and assembly + the added bonus of being exact to one particular original helmet.

It's the same with the eFX hero trooper helmet. They took it apart to mold it on the inside for vac-forming, then later realized they had to potentially go fiberglass. A fucking shame as they could have molded it as a one-piece for fiberglassing with separate ears and they would have had perfect assembly and the bonus of surface blemishes that we hardcore nuts appreciate. It's just backwards. Mold the originals on the outside to make fiberglass versions and there'd be LESS issues.

Author:  Midnight Trooper [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

No Humor Man wrote:
They have a lot of things going for them. It's just the original announcements that are biting them in the ass now. That's what got people's hopes way up there, so understandably the new approach is a bucket of cold water that probably wouldn't have been as hard to digest if the original announcements about "in the accurate material" hadn't been made. Also, there is only ONE reason not to make these in ABS and if the Legend helmet is limited to 250 pieces like the Vader helmet was supposed to be... then it's all about whether eFX thinks the Chinese company can actually trim and assemble 250 helmets in ABS exactly the same. We heard from several fan made creators who did theirs the original way that they are a PITA to assemble. So the fiberglass makes sense in that regard... but it still sorta kills the LEGEND dream many people had, myself included... and it just doesn't feel that legendary that the only difference between the two versions is a weathered paint job. It sorta cheapens the Legend edition in a way.

If they can fix the softness of the face, which would require a new and better pull from the original face mold than they did, mold that and cast in fiberglass, + fixing the placement of the face in the visor and fix the placement of the face and visor piece on the back piece (raising it to sit flush at the top), then they have a winner.

It was noted that the snout detail looked rather crappy, but I guess they molded and cast an original one?



Yeah I get it. If I was hardcore into the scout Id feel a bit let down too. If the Hero helmet isnt in ABS (likely) I will be bummed out even more. But I still love them for what they are. We have never had castings of either of these pieces before. So the fact that castings were made and copies produced that were true to the original shape, size, and details; Im still excited.

Also PM sent.

Author:  No Humor Man [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

The Propstore helmet may be exceptionally sharp compared to other originals, similar to the differences in sharpness with the ANH troopers, but not as extreme.

This one seems to be pretty spot on to the eFX face in terms of sharpness.
Image

Author:  StarWars Collector [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

Even compared to this one the eFX still looks soft imo

Author:  No Humor Man [ Wed May 07, 2014 12:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

What are people's opinions on the prototype picture that was posted on Biker Scout.net?

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=12038

Is it me or is there something off looking regarding the rear of the bottom jaw? Shouldn't it be pulled in a bit? Also... is the placement of the face correct? It seems it is placed too far forward compared to the Propstore helmet. Though, maybe they are using another original as reference that looks different?

Author:  jkno [ Sat May 17, 2014 5:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

Holy moly, this thread was started in 2012...

Author:  No Humor Man [ Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

There was an earlier one in Nov. 2011.

efx-biker-scout-helmet-vt3858.html

Author:  jkno [ Sun May 18, 2014 9:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

eFX surely take their time.



And also find ways in screwing international customers - hope it won't be the case with the Scout and TK though...

Author:  DynamicMenace [ Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

jkno wrote:
eFX surely take their time.



And also find ways in screwing international customers - hope it won't be the case with the Scout and TK though...


yeah when are these going to happen anyway? i dont have faith in this company.

they dont keep up with their website at all. and im not even seeing these on their website.

Author:  locitus [ Fri May 30, 2014 2:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

I think you have a better chance of convincing lonewolf to make new helmets than ever getting an eFX. The lonewolf helmets were more accurate anyway.

Author:  jkno [ Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: eFX Biker Scout helmet (Legend?)

I have the LW scout and it is in top 10 favorite collectibles I own, it is simply superb! I doubt eFX version will top that, no matter if it was made from original molds or not. Unfortunately eFX lack a lot regarding basic communication, updating their site and respect for international customers.

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/
Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buy web visitors
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums