It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

I drew the ANH helmet drawing with a picture of the DJ helmet as reference. And then Cantina_Dude took that and improved on it and gave it life. I'm still impressed of what he could do with that drawing! :thumbsup

And welcome GINO, hope you'll enjoy The Den with the rest of us nuts! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:48 pm 
Random avatar
I was talking about the belt photos only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

I know. But I didn't credit DJ for the use of the picture of his helmet for my drawing... so I thought I could better do it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Also, I would imagine that proper credit will be given once the templates are complete and revealed in their entirety.

Again, great work C_D! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:59 pm 

Wow. Well I guess it just never really occurred to me to mention what exactly was used for reference for these diagrams. I would like to point out that I didn't "trace your photos exactly" as you had said, but I did use them as a great reference to get the perspective and proportions right for what I was trying to put together. I know that you hate it when opinions are stated as fact just as much as I do.

Anyway, give me a few minutes and I'll go find some things on my computer to help illustrate exactly what I did. I hope it will clear things up a little.

Talk to you soon,

MJC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:00 pm 

OK, so what I like to do when working on something like this is to start by coming up with a sketch on paper of how I want it all to go. I wanted to show the belts at a good angle that illustrates all the details of them in as clear a manner as possible. This is where Gino's photos came in as they were the only accurate reference I could find of the belts taken from straight on at the front but from slightly above (so as to allow the back surface of the belt to be visible). I wanted to have these diagrams be as accurate a representation of the belts as possible, so I wanted to get the perspective on the boxes just right. With all the various angles on the boxes and their details playing off each other, it can be difficult to achieve the right proportions without some good reference to follow. Now if you all have seen these photos that Gino posted, you will obviously see that since his belts were unbuckled, the shape of the belt and the obscured angle of the buckles prove to be of no use as reference for this project, so I had to go it on my own for that.

So my ANH sketch looked like this:
I figured I would just copy, flop, and paste the one belt box for the other, so I didn't bother drawing both. I also skipped sketching the buckle as I had already made up a digital ANH buckle a couple of years ago when I posted some proposed measurements for it on the RPF.
I had created this buckle image by using one of the photos in the Chronicles book for reference.

Anyway, once I had scanned my sketch onto my computer, I started out in Photoshop by laying out the shape of the belt itself:

Then I set to work on the box and it's details:
Again, I would draw out one green lamp and then copy it for the second one. Same thing with the knobs, I drew one, then copied it for the other five. I did this to not only make a bit more professional looking image, but also to cut down on work! ;)

After I completed the one, I copied it and flopped it for the other one:

I then dropped in the buckle (after modifying it to have some appropriate perspective to it) and added the belt hook:

After all the line drawing was completed, I could go about colouring the whole thing and have a completed image:

For the ESB belt image, I did basically the same thing except with this sketch of the ESB box:
Since I could just use the same belt and buckle drawings from the ANH image for this one, I didn't need to re-do all that. And for the ROTJ image, I used the same completed ESB box drawings and simply modified the belt to be thinner and altered the buckle to be ROTJ accurate (using that ROTJ lobby card photo of Vader standing alone on the Death Star or where ever he is).

For the completed diagrams, I also went about creating some straight on images of an individual belt box and the buckle for each film, again using a similar method, but without any specific photo reference to work from directly. Those were achieved by a lot of research and trial and error with my own belt projects. I do think I've got those pretty close all by myself! ;)

Well that just about covers it all. I'm sorry if I offended you Gino in anyway, but I was just trying to create the best reference I could to help out those working on their own costumes. Obviously I'm not making any money off of these, they are just a small way for me to help out the community. I did put a lot of work into these and have done countless hours/days/years of my own research into all aspects of the Vader costumes (and others), just as you have. It would be next to impossible to go through and identify each and every source of all reference material found and each tid-bit of information ever conveyed that has come together in my total knowledge of these props. So I will say thanks to you for all that you have told/shown while I also say thanks to everyone else who has contributed a piece of the pie!

Take it easy everyone, and I hope someone has found these diagrams useful.

Later,

MJC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:17 pm 
Random avatar
MJC,
It's clear to anyone who looks at your drawings that they were derived from the photos that I posted regardless of the exact nature of how you constructed them. If you post side by sides or overlays, it's clear that they were more than just the inspiration for your drawings. They even replicated details only found on my belts. I'm okay with all that.

I'm not upset at all.
It's just that I don't post good photos like those belt photos very often. And when I see them being used for something like this and not being given some form of credit, kind of puts me off.

I think your drawings are pretty cool, but they are pretty much illustrative versions of my photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:18 am 

OK then! Good stuff...

Stay safe,

MJC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:01 am 

Gino RPF December 20, 2006:

Cantina Dude TPD October 16, 2006

Does not look like tracing to me. :rolleyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:40 am 
Random avatar
That's the wrong pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Then please show the picture in question, so we can all see what is going on, instead of this run-around, thanks. :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:15 pm 
Random avatar
I can't host the photos, but I can email them for someone else to host/post.
Any volunteers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

No problem GINO.

starwarscollector@home.nl

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 pm 
Random avatar
These are the photos I was talking about:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:56 pm 

Sorry, it looks more like a trace of the chronicles pic to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next