It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:05 pm 

Finally got to see RO this past Saturday. Took the kids with me which was fun. Here are my random thoughts...

I have very mixed feelings about the movie but I think overall I enjoyed it -- especially the second half. My son and I both agreed that it took waaaay too long to get going and they wasted waaay too much time with the useless character the gave to Forest Whitaker. In many ways, if given the opportunity, it's kind of like the Star Wars movie I would like to make -- only like darthjones observes, pare it down, make it more spare -- almost like a "Dirty Dozen" in space, lol. Given the scale of the previous Star Wars movies this is probably their idea of a gritty sparse movie, lol. And speaking of attempting to be gritty I thought they employed way too much hand-help shaky-cam. It started to give me a headache at one point and made editing the shots together seem very jarring - in the opening sequences especially. Those choices seemed out of place to me but just my opinion.

Geeky things that I enjoyed: I enjoyed the "performance" of Governor Tarkin -- though I was a little distracted by how shiny his animated skin was and I think they went a little overboard with the age spots, etc. Peter Cushing has been a life long favorite of mine, even before Star Wars, and for what it was I think it was a suitable tribute to him and glad to see Tarkin's role expanded; I also enjoyed the other cameos (Dr Evazan/Warus Man/fighter pilots) and wish that maybe they'd been able to work Biggs into things but I guess his footage was too specific to reuse; having Blue Squadron lead the assault; the SE-14 Blaster -- I had to look up what they're calling that prop but cool to see it given some prominent screen time.

A few minor nerdy things that bugged me: my perception while watching was that Captain Antilles/the fleet had left by the time of their cameo so how do R2-D2 and C-3PO get aboard the Tantive IV? I'm obviously wrong about this one and I guess they hadn't left, lol; having a pilot called Red 5 get shot down so Luke can take his call sign -- K, so we get to shoot down another fat guy (at least Porkins wasn't a panicky idiot) but somehow his ship is reconstituted in time for the assault on the Death Star? I guess the ground crew painted up and weathered a new Red 5. Maybe Red 5 is the go-to designation for the "new guys" who they think won't last long so they have a fleet of Red 5's painted up and ready to go for every time they get picked off.

Lastly, to bring things around to our favorite subject, let me preface this by saying that my children enjoy Star Wars but are definitely more casual fans. Neither of them has watched the movies multiple times. My son is all about Pokemon and video games and my daughter loves Nightmare Before Christmas and Dragons. So I was gobsmacked when, on the way back to the car, my daughter -- without any prompting from me -- turns and asks "What was up with Darth Vader's costume? Why did it look so funny?".

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:29 am 
Random avatar

:lol i like your daughter mate.....beside this i agree in all points. Personally i didnt like 3POs and R2s cameo....looks more like they HAVE to be in the movie just because its Star Wars. Would be better to show them small in the background without let 3PO telling always the same boring stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:52 am 
Site Admin

I wanted more protocol droids and R2 units littered about and less of the two known characters. Remember, Tantive IV was LITTERED with protocol and astromech droids in ANH... why these two are singled out so prominently in all the other movies with there being less of other similar droids, I simply don't get. They were supposed to be run-of-the-mill nobodies of the masses, not major players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
I wanted more protocol droids and R2 units littered about and less of the two known characters. Remember, Tantive IV was LITTERED with protocol and astromech droids in ANH... why these two are singled out so prominently in all the other movies with there being less of other similar droids, I simply don't get. They were supposed to be run-of-the-mill nobodies of the masses, not major players.

I agree Carsten, they're supposed to be replaceable labour.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:22 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:43 pm 

lol, I love it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:01 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
why these two are singled out so prominently in all the other movies with there being less of other similar droids, I simply don't get.

When Lucas was interviewed back in the 70s after ANH came out, he stated he planned on ultimately making 9 films. He said 3PO and R2 would be the only two characters he would keep as a constant to help tie in all the movies. That is why they have been featured in all the films and will be in Ep 8 and 9 (assuming Disney keeps his wish going).

As far as RO, I assume it was done as a homage to Lucas, although their presence, once again, ties all of the films together. It would have made more sense to put them alongside Leia in the Tantive command bridge or have had the rebel soldier run past them in the Tantive hallway on his way to Leia.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:21 am 

Lambotour wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:
why these two are singled out so prominently in all the other movies with there being less of other similar droids, I simply don't get.

When Lucas was interviewed back in the 70s after ANH came out, he stated he planned on ultimately making 9 films. He said 3PO and R2 would be the only two characters he would keep as a constant to help tie in all the movies. That is why they have been featured in all the films and will be in Ep 8 and 9 (assuming Disney keeps his wish going).

As far as RO, I assume it was done as a homage to Lucas, although their presence, once again, ties all of the films together. It would have made more sense to put them alongside Leia in the Tantive command bridge or have had the rebel soldier run past them in the Tantive hallway on his way to Leia.

True, I remember reading something similar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Sure, I get THAT part of it... but why remove the fact they are run-of-the-mill nobodies by not have that many other protocol or astromech droids around? ANH and ESB were littered with them - even the same style as C-3PO, just less golden.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 pm 
Random avatar

Hey This is officially my first post here I guess. I went through the digital version of RO and screencapped Vader.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:33 pm 

Pretty sweet first post, Darctic! Thanks for sharing those :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 am 

Indeed - nice pics! I may be required to give up my Star Wars Fan Club membership card for admitting this, but I haven't seen Rogue One yet. I did pre-order the 3D blu-ray though to be released in a few weeks.

Criticisms about the Vader costume not looking the same as the original were somewhat exaggerated I think. The RO helmet actually looks very close to the original it was based on:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 am 

The cloth they used for the cape and robe is just horrible.
It's the topping on the cake to ruin the complete look of him.

Beside that the armour is sitting on him like some hanging tits with that mega gap between the throat and the armour. :banger
Not noticed that so much in the cinema, as the movie was very dark in lightning, but now in better light it's even more worse.

Last edited by Turrican on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 am 

Yes the cape material is thin and ill-fitting. It looks like they tried to match the cape contour to the base of the mask but it just ended up looking forced and all bunched together.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 am 

Yeah lol :lol

The whole costume looks like a prop-trainee-chore, who has done this the first time in life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next