It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: TE Helmet - Color Simulation in Photoshop
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:27 pm 

I thought I'd share some Photoshop fun. I am not claiming that these colors are accurate; I simply wanted to do a quick mock-up of an image of a helmet kit that I'm strongly considering purchasing from TE. Sometimes I have a hard time developing a mental picture when talking over the phone regarding Stormtrooper details as, admittedly, this is a new area of study for me. A picture speaks a thousand words, and what better a means of developing an eye for authenticity, now that TE's making these available? (Of course, TE2 has been a good source.)

Simply put: I love the look of TE's helmets, much much more than AA/SDS. If painted right, the kit has potential of looking outstanding.

But how do you envision what it would look like since the kit looks bare? Well, I've begun a process of figuring out how to do my own detailing as precisely as possible. I am not super anal or picky. When I do end up painting mine, I'll do as close a color match as possible.

So here is some fun with Photoshop. The only images added to the helmet are the mic tips. The rest are simply just highlighting areas and coloring them in. The stripes on the tubes were fun to do, and they turned out quite nicely!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Well... for ANH... the colors for the detailing have been identified as Humbrol paints... I had a list around here somewhere.

Though... some swear to the Testors paints with the grey color interestingly enough having the number #1138! :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:01 pm 

1138? No way!!! :toothy

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
1138? No way!!! :toothy

Yes way, I'm not kidding you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:14 pm 

The Humbrol grey is good (color-wise). The paint doesn't lay well so I matched some lettering enamel to match so it lays (covers) much better.
Black is black, Humbrol or not just use gloss.
The Humbrol 15 blue or the lighter 48 that folks claim is right for the tubes stripe are not correct, 15 is too dark and 48 is too light. Most folks are using vinyl for the stripes and no vinyls match the color either. The two vinyl colors I have seen used are vivid blue and saphire blue (3M Gerber vinyl chart names).
I'm still working on a color match for tube stripes -- soon. When done I will try to supply PMS color numbers so folks can try to mix paint to match themselves if they want.

BTW, this is just for ANH version -- ESB is of course different stickers & such.

Doug