It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: How to order aluminum parts to be milled?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 am 

After I make my ANH Vader chestbox(s) I will need to get rods and coin slots milled. Anyone here ever have stuff made? I'd like to get this started around the first of the year so any helpful advice appreciated.

DOug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:59 pm 
Random avatar
As I am a machinist, the first thing they will ask for is a good drawing or an example. If you have a wood prop in exact measurements, your golden.

Rods will be run on a lathe, and the coin slots on a mill. Machining isnt a cheap date. The hours and time are what you pay for. The aluminum is cheap.

If they are a bigger shop, they will have access to a CNC, or Cumputer numeric control machines, Great for mass production as well as finish.

Smaller shops will hand make the parts.

Talking to the machinist is important, as for most have an imagination. We kinda have to...

Tell him the way you want it to look, and provide insight for your piece.

Most of the time a one off part will excite some, but turn off other machinists, and depending on shop commitments you might have to wait a while.

I would look in the phone book and let your fingers do some walking, then visit in person.

Hope i helped a litle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 pm 

Thanks R, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. :wink:

It sounds like if I want repeat orders (if others wanted some) then I should go with a CNC shop?

Any ideas on typical minimums to bump the costs down?

I have very detailed drawings showing relivant profiles and detailed measurements, would this suffice? I also have Russ's examples to show (though not accurate) to give them an idea.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:02 am 
Random avatar
Volume will always bring costs down. The more that want a set will help a ton.

I will say though the Prop community is one to want to see the final product, so the first offs might be the higest priced.

The minimums will be on the shop, they all will price a little diffrent.
Thankfully your Vader parts arent to hard in the machining world. Especially CNC. Very Repeatable.

Having the Drawings is a Very Very good first step.