It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: One same screen used Storm helmet, two different brow trim?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:38 am 

I guess that title and pics speak for themselves.

Any idea why the brow trim isn't the same on both pics?

ImageImage

I always knew this helmet with the "slim" brow trim (as you can see from this "old" photo taken from Jez website: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/Original ... elmets.htm)

So what happened? Did they decided to change the brow trim for the auction and replaced the "original slim" by one more in line with others? Or maybe thatthe first owner used a non accurate Uchannel rubber trim on his screen used helmet since this one lost the original trim over the time?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: One same screen used Storm helmet, two different brow tr
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 pm 

Was anything else done to it? Maybe a misguided restoration attempt by a previous owner? Can this one be identified on screen?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:42 pm 

I'm pretty sure you can see this thin brow right outside the bunker very predominantly in a few scenes.

I would assume the brow was replaced as the thin one is not as familiar or/and esthetically pleasing. It would help to get a higher bid number. Wouldnt be the first time I've seen changes like this being made to get better results at the auction.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:53 pm 

Seriously?? Do you have other example Juan ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Changing a potentially screen matched detail would be detrimental to the prop. Why anyone would think that is a good idea should not work with screen used props. They are destroying history.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:46 pm 

I agree that this would be sacrilegious to any screen used prop. I guess when it comes to props used by soldiers/ troopers who were made in larger numbers for production and beaten up ( not that this trooper looks beat up) some helmets end up being cannibalized to improve other helmets that just need a little help.

For example Starship Trooper helmets were used and abused over and over in many productions and they were abused. I've spoken to collectors who use the good parts from beaten helmets to put together or complete helmets that only needed a little bit of work to get a more desirable final look to the prop.

For this trooper it looks like the rubber trim used to replace the thin one, is either screen use or at least from production. so you still get a full original trooper helmet prop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:48 pm 
Random avatar
The helmet is an ESB MKII and it's not the screen used helmet as that one doesn't have any teeth cut out, unlike this particular helmet.

It's possible the trim was replaced to a more accurate one, but that's not the original trim. What's also possible is the trim is a J-profile that has one short side and one long side, so it could have been flipped over.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:28 am 

For sure the first trim is different and not the common style (squared U channel).

It looks rounder on some pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:20 pm 

This helmet is also missing its left ear. A few OG helmets have been auctioned while missing neck trim, and with replaced brow trim and eye sheets..it is not too far a leap to surmise that this "original thin trim" was a replacement trim fitted to the helmet back in the day. Accurate information freely available now was in the 90$ only for a select few......