It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: TM ANH / SL / EFX faceplate sizes...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:29 pm 

OK! First off, this isn't a moment to judge which one is best, I don't care. I personally love them all. ...yes, even the EFX - not a fan of the company, but I do like the FG Vader lid.

What I'm curious about, are they the same size?

...or if there are any size differences between the faceplates. Has anyone ever photographed all three faceplates face forward and side by side or set up a tripod and blocked/jigged the faceplates into precise placement one after another (face forward) to do a size relationship comparison? I figure someone in the bunch has done it. LOL

Just wondering if all three are essentially the same size, or if there are significant size differences.

If you do have a photo and don't want to share it publicly, could you PM me the photo? It won't go public - this is just for my own curiosity.

...Actually, I'll even be happy with just a TM/EFX Legend or LE faceplate size comparison. So if anyone has both, could you set them up side by side and pop me a photo? It would be greatly appreciated. Again, a PM would be fine, it won't be shared publicly nor privately

Cheers,

c

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TM ANH / SL / EFX faceplate sizes...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

TM original face mask sizes varied between castings/moldmakers, the orignals were slightly warped.

The SL face is much the same as the EFX, fractionally bigger.
The dome is more rounded on the EFX and the SL is tighter in the dome cap. the flaring on the flanges differ.
Much more detail on the SL where as the EFX is toy like and it has been cleaned and features a more inaccurate but sharper Y crease in the peak.

Very doubtful owners could make direct photo comparisons that show this as you normally have both TM and SL agreements :thumbsup .

All 3 could make an impressive Vader but you would need much bigger mods to an EFX and I would imagine much skill to pass it off as a finished and accurate Vader. Even then.

Bare in mind the SL face also has it's flaws. I'm not going to state what they are. As does the TM. Measurements are fractionally larger on an SL face. We are talking small measurements that are barely noticed.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:43 pm 

Darthvaderv wrote:
TM original face mask sizes varied between castings/moldmakers, the orignals were slightly warped.

The SL face is much the same as the EFX, fractionally bigger.
The dome is more rounded on the EFX and the SL is tighter in the dome cap. the flaring on the flanges differ.
Much more detail on the SL where as the EFX is toy like and it has been cleaned and features a more inaccurate but sharper Y crease in the peak.

Very doubtful owners could make direct photo comparisons that show this as you normally have both TM and SL agreements :thumbsup .

All 3 could make an impressive Vader but you would need much bigger mods to an EFX and I would imagine much skill to pass it off as a finished and accurate Vader. Even then.

Bare in mind the SL face also has it's flaws. I'm not going to state what they are. As does the TM. Measurements are fractionally larger on an SL face. We are talking small measurements that are barely noticed.

Only interested in the size comparison of the TM and the EFX faceplates and how they relate to the dome. Nothing more. Not interested in detail comparisons.

Since the SL and EFX were pulled from the same mold, even though years apart, believed they'd be close...

It's for my own curiosity since I paired the Efx dome and the TM faceplate up - which I definitely (personally) like. ...my mind tends to wander, so I ask questions. :lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:23 am 

Paul is right. But keep in mind the production EFX's are at least an extra generation down from any SL or TM copy. They would have taken the master, molded it, taken a copy to modify, mold that, then have the production copies. So the EFX is actually noticeably smaller than a TM or SL. I have a comparison thread of the SL and EFX here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm 

Thanks, Tom and Paul.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:24 pm 

SithLord wrote:
I have a comparison thread of the SL and EFX here.

Great comparison, BTW! :thumbsup

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 pm 

Totally agree with darthvaderv and sithlord.The SL and the TM masks are practically identical. :thumbsup