It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Star Wars- Dressing A Galaxy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm 

Another instance where I purchased the deluxe version of the book. This one approaches the subject material in the same style as the Modeling The Galaxy book. It also has an impressive clamshell cover and includes some sweet extras in addition to a very nice chronicle of all things SW Costumes from the entire saga. There is an actual Wookiee belt buckle prop inside the book cover that is cast from the mould used in Episode III. I know, not so impressive if you are not a prequel fan, but a novelty nonetheless. The other cool inclusion in the deluxe version is a fabric swatch book. The swatch book has a fantastic accordion folded booklet that has individual fabrics from all the films included. Yes it is heavy in the prequel fabrics because it's author is of course Trisha Biggar, prequel costume designer. But the real beauty of the book is that each buyer gets a set of swatches that are mixed into the fantastic photos and though no two sets of swatches are identical, your book is absolutely unique from the next guy's book. Each set of swatches were chosen randomly and you might get a tunic or cloak or trouser fabric swatch from your favorite characters. You get the actual leftover fabric from the production in your little booklet. You gotta admit, that is some seriously cool bonus material right there. Yes that alone is worth the price. Yes I did pay full price for this one $399. No overstock discounts on this bad boy. They sold out rather quickly too.

If you can find this one as a used book that has all the goodies included, just jump on that muther!!!! You won't be disappointed.

Dave :)

Post subject: Re: Star Wars- Dressing A Galaxy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:02 am 

I must admit the way they documented the costumes for the prequels was pretty nice.

From Amazon:

Limited Edition Special Features

Hardcover with French-fold jacket encased in an elegant clamshell box with an Obi Wrap cloth overlay. Special features include six bound-in booklets and eight 6-page gatefolds, a costume index by character for all six films in the Star Wars Saga, 16 additional pages of color photographs and fabric swatches cut from the same bolts as the Saga's actual costume material originating from the Lucasfilm archives including swatches made from the same fabric used for Darth Vader's cape as well as a cast replica "Wookiee Belt-Buckle" symbolizing the valor and loyalty of these ferocious warriors. Also includes a Certificate of Authenticity for the Wookiee Belt Buckle replica and Costume Swatches.

Package Features
*Clamshell box wrapped in Japanese silk
*Wookie beltbuckle replica
*Darth Vader cape material
*Fabric samples (includes piece of Darth Vader's cape)

*Limited Edition Lucasfilm DVD

Edition Features
*Gatefolds (Six 6-page gatefolds)
*1. Jedi council
*2. Royalty: fabric details (embroidery, edgings, beading, sewn-in embroidery sheet)
*3. Military (featuring the Wookiees)
*4. Senators incl. Padmé outfit
*5. Rogues Gallery (Jawas, Ewoks, Cantina, Jabba's place)
*6. Farmers: Padmé outfit

Additional Signature
* Costume Archeology" (antique fabrics and pieces) | "Trisha's Scrapbook" of her travels w/passport stamps; 16 additional pages. Special Insert (accordion-fold )

"Building 37" - workroom, inspirations, pictures of JAK folders, pictures of fabric samples, etc. of top 20 costumes, fabric samples. This special insert depicts costume evolution inside Trisha Biggar's workshop.

Eight (8) Bound-in Booklets and Inserts (loose)

1. Headresses
2. Classic character costumes
3. CG "Costume Booklet"
4. Footwear (in silhouette)
5. "Dressing Bail Organa"
6. Costume breakdown with transparent overlays
7. Jewelry
8. Darth Vader

I'll buy the Darth Vader cape sample off ya..... :lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 pm 

You could if it were for sale. I can tell you that it's not the same material as the OT vaders for sure. The OT's were a ribbed wool gabardine type material. The prequel cape material is most definitely a wool crepe. Totally different look. I actually found a worthy crepe that matched that swatch once in a normal fabric store. It's pretty common. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 pm 

You could if it were for sale. I can tell you that it's not the same material as the OT vaders for sure. The OT's were a ribbed wool gabardine type material. The prequel cape material is most definitely a wool crepe. Totally different look. I actually found a worthy crepe that matched that swatch once in a normal fabric store. It's pretty common. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 am 

Always wanted to pick this book up too... sounds awsome!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:51 pm 

A GREAT reference book! I also went with the deluxe edition. Were you one of the lucky ones to get the Trisha Bigger Signature in it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:52 pm 

It's a very nice book. Only have the normal edition.
Is there anything interesting new on the DVD?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:52 pm 

Honestly, I barely opened the box. :wink:
I cracked the case open....touched the piece of Vader's cape and shut the box. That was my brush with greatness.

Profile E-mail