It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Painting Oz's Budget Rocketeer Helmet
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am 

I had a problem. My home's motif was too dominated by Star Wars, and too dominated by Vader, and so I needed to diversify. I have an MR Kermit the Frog and a Sideshow Iron Man Mark III bust which helped. But I needed something more.

I needed something simple that I could do up quick n' dirty. I'm very fond of The Rocketeer, so when I saw Oz offering a run of his budget helmets, I decided to give it a go.

But because the weather's cold, using spray paints might not be the best approach. So I used some acrylic paints by Folk Art (Metallic Silver Sterling) and by DecoArt's "Dazzling Metallics" Line, which includes Splendid Gold, Glorious Gold, and Emperor's Gold.

I am not studied up on the screen used prop, so this is my first time ever attempting a Rocketeer prop. My challenge was "How do I get this thing to look like metal?" I'm not that accomplished a painter... yet.

The kit arrived already primed. Dremel and sanding work needed to be done to remove the lenses, trim the neck, and deal with excess globs of resin.

I decided not to polish out a lot of the sanding lines, hoping that I could use the texture to my advantage. I dremeled out the eyes and the neck line, but left the teeth because I would have put a black piece of cardboard on the inside of the mouth anyway. The kit came with lenses that fit just about perfectly, and I used clear parcel tape to hold me over until I got a glue gun.

Doing the eyes made me think of all those time I cut out the eye sockets for Vader masks. Heck, if you've done Vader, you can do just about anything! :wink:

I painted with a 1" brush and went front-to-back. I didn't mix my paints perfectly on purpose because I wanted to create not only a worn or slightly patinated look, but I was relying on the unevenness of colors to help give a sense that the metal was alloyed.

(Above: This side is just a teensy bit too clean. I'll have to darken the recesses a bit.)

And there you have it. Again, I'm no expert on Rocketeer. I took a peek at some HD screenshots on a site that turned up on a Google search, and just painted at random.

I'm wondering if I should clear-coat this. What do you guys think? When I wash it, it looks pretty cool, but the movie look isn't as wet.

This helmet will go far to balance out my collection. It has a lot of character to it, and it's broken up the Sithlord monotony of my apartment. :thumbsup

Enjoy!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject: Re: Painting Oz's Budget Rocketeer Helmet
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:14 am 

Very nice work, Mac :cool: I have recently tried my hand at weathered looking metals done in paint on an R2-D2 dome. But I must say that I really like your helmet, it's something that you should be proud of.

I too have a Rocketeer helmet on order. And yes, the desire to round things out in my collection has had me pick things that are both interesting, and not black. "Finhead" Iron Man 1:1 bust, Arnold Schwarzenegger bust from a Lazar scan from T3, and even the Old Cylon from Battlestar Galactica. Even been dabbling in some of the smaller, and less expensive screen used props from other films as well.