It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Indrustiral HVLP Spray gun advise?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:38 am 

Ok so between two friends I got a brand new compressor and a brand new HVLP spray gun. Now here comes the real problems. I have no idea how to use this thing. I wanted to use it to paint with auto paints for things like Royal Guard helmets, Vaders, and Ties. But after reading on some of the auto paint websites as to how to use it I don't understand a word of it. (well that is a bit extreme I understood some of it). How do I know what kind of paint to buy, and what additives go into it? How long do I have to dry things between coats, what do I have to do to clear coat it? Why can't it just be as simple as rattle can or airbrushing???

Anyone ?

Contact me for painting services.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 am 
Site Admin

I tried out a real spray gun yesterday and I can tell you that it is difficult compared to airbrushing... insanely more difficult, as you gotta spray differently, hold your hand differently, move differently and I simply couldn't do it, so my father, who used to be a professional car painter had to take over.

It's pull the trigger, swipe across and when getting to the end, release the trigger and then all over again on the way back. It was cool to watch... but impossible for me to just jump into.

I think it was mentioned to go with acrylic colors and then thinner... mix it until it become droplets when holding the stirring stick up to see the viscosity (think that's the right word).

Also... I think the place where you buy paints would know what kind of paints to use with your spray gun and what is needed to make it work.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:30 am 

So in my quest I went out and bought wait for it.....a book! Yes I bought a book from a line called: Motorbooks Workshop and it is titled : How to Paint Your Car. I read the entire thing (skipping the parts about how to bondo and fix rust spots and other car body things) and found it really really helpfull. It explained what most of the stuff I was wondering what ment, ment. It covered everything from base coats, to top coats, clear coats and finnishing (polishing and buffing). I feel pretty good that I can do this now as long as I get the right paints. And the book said most paint stores will tell you exactally what you need for the conditions you will paint in. It was in my opnion well worth the $20 it cost.

So in the next few days I am going to see if I can find a paint store near me and then give it the good old college try! Hopefully I don't some how kill my self (apparently most of the chemicals are really, really toxic and deadly) or ruin my friends royal guard helmet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Just remember wearing a coal filter mask and safety goggles or whatever they're called when painting... IMPORTANT! :thumbsup

CRAP... forgot to comment on that book you bought... THAT's a cool buy! :cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:25 pm 

Mark,

I use some industrial spray guns here at work. Dont really know if yours is different but I would assume that it isnt too different. Make sure that when you buy the paints you get info on cutting for viscosity, flow rate, and application pressure. This is sometimes paint specific. You should also have a standard for this that came with your gun.

Sounds like the book you picked up will help out. Let me know if you need any help or pointers otherwise. You should still have Shannon's number if you need to get ahold of me. If not pm me and I'll shoot ya the number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 am 

Yea the book has a long section on safety. I have one of the masks alreday but from what I am reading on the types of paint I am probally going to use I need to get a long sleeve paint suit and gloves as well as goggles. I guess the reducers can be absorbed by the pores in your skin or your tear ducts and kill you.

So good safty tips.

Yea Eric if I have any Q's I will give you a call.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:37 pm 

Hi PMV...sorry I didn't notice this thread sooner. What size tip did your gun come with? Probably to late to give any input at this point but thought I'd chime in anyhow.

Most of the inexpensive guns come with large tips...1.7...1.8...ect. These will dump a great deal of paint in a real short time. I try to stick to smaller tips...nothing larger than a 1.3.

For painting cars the 1.4 and 1.5 work nice...nice even paint flow. One thing I've noticed over the years is to be careful when using auto paint on certain types of plastic...auto paint is usually a pretty hot mixture ( chemicaly) and I've seen it melt plastic. Never had trouble with fg though.

Anyway hope your gun is working out for you. My family owns an autobody shop so if you want to ask any questions about paints shoot me a pm...if I can't answer it I can find someone who can. :wink: