It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Painting a DJ ANH
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:47 am 

As I’m looking forward to receiving the DJ ANH as a Christmas present for my son (and of course me :wink: ), I thought I would start a thread to document the painting process and discuss painting techniques and my mistakes. :lol .

I know the original face mask had been painted and touched up at different times but wanted to see what the consensus is now about the tubes on his right being gunmetal.

These pics caught my eye in that regard.

I’m leaning towards painting them gunmetal, but I haven’t kept up with anything since the EFX came out and had them painted that color.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Painting a DJ ANH
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:15 am 
Site Admin

They are drybrushed with gunmetal, that is for certain, but whether they are like the left outer mouth wall and right cheek and between the right tusks that are predominantly supposed to be black, or whether they are supposed to by like the "fully covering" gunmetal application will be up to you. Nearly all surfaces of the face mask has been drybrushed with gunmetal - except the area above the left cheek beneath the eye that is the only place left untouched by gunmetal - so it is up to everyone to determine which type application it should be. I can say though, the eFX has shown that it is NOT a fully covering layer of gunmetal, because their tubes are so visible in any lighting condition, whereas the screen used ones aren't - they are more visible than if they were completely black, but nowhere near a full covering gunmetal. However, this observation is also somewhat flawed since eFX never really replicated the brushed on look - their gunmetal coats were always too heavy, too covering, so may not be a good basis for comparison. I have seen some who have painted their face masks with the right tube gunmetal and it still looks wrong to me, as it still looks too visible.

Also, metallic paint drybrushing is notoriously tricky because it all depends on the application layer thickness and whether it's fully covering, lightly covering, or even wiped off afterwards but still leaving the metallic sheen that catches the light.

Another thing to consider... why is the right tusk black, unless the tube's supposed to be black? If it was a painting mistake, then when was it done? Did they paint the tubes on both sides the same and determined it was too much and painted some thinned black on top again on the right, but also covering the tusk? I don't know. It's something I've always pondered.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:34 pm 

Those are all really good points. I think you’re definitely right about all the surfaces not being “equal” in the application of the gunmetal/silver. It looks like those tubes are darker for instance.

I will try to get the “density” of the application right in the surfaces at least. I probably won’t get too much into weathering/scratches/smudges. We shall see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:23 pm 

It’s here!

Big shout out to Mike. Beautiful work. Like I told him, I can’t keep smiling like an idiot. More to come!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:11 am 

Sweet. I can not wait to see what you do with it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:44 pm 

Any updates on this project?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:43 am 

vader45 wrote:
Any updates on this project?

I have been absolutely swamped. I can’t believe the time goes as fast as it does anymore. If all
goes well hopefully in the fall!

Profile E-mail