It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the input. That puts it a bit in the proper perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:10 am 

Thanks! It makes a lot more sense.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:10 pm 

chris1748 wrote:
Some people can't get how big bodybuilders are.
He is lets say 6 foot 5 inches so a 50" chest on him is not as big as you would think and with a 38" waist the drop would only be 12" The illusion is with a waist that big he would not look as large except when you put him next to a normal person.. 18" arms are not that large also. 18.5 inch neck not that big for a guy 6 foot 5 or so.
I am only 5 foot 11inches and in my best shape I had a 48" chest I had A 32" waist and 19" arms and my neck was 18" I was not the largest around by any stretch.
Those measurements are very realistic for a bodybuilder /powerlifter.
In fact his arms are kinda small for a man that large.

chris

Chris, thanks for sharing this. That's quite an eye opener. I think when people see "50 inch chest" they thing the armor has to be super wide. The screen used armor wasn't really tremendously wide like some of these 19" and 21" (front corner to corner) fanmades seem to have been made for. I think some of the "Prowse-sized" fanmade armor is oversized.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Last edited by CSMacLaren on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Vader measurements?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Some pieces are oversized. I think the thing with Prowse is also the depth of his chest which is an added small factor. I also agree 18 inch arms are not incredibly massive but we have to also bare in mind Prowse's heyday was not in the late seventies but before that when bodybuilding had not been promoted as much until Schwarzenegger took it to a new level. It still doesn't change his arm to chest ratio etc but many bodybuilders have certain body types that have flaws, some have weak arms, weak legs, poor definition etc..

If people have volume 2 of straight from the forces mouth then you can see Prowse is not as musclar and defined as he was some years prior.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:37 pm 
Random avatar

I know this image doesn't answer any questions really, because we don't know how big the guy in front is, but I thought this was interesting.

We can see that, although Prowse is much taller, his muscle mass is not proportionately greater than that of the man in front. He's body builder big, and he's tall, but not a monster. This was in 1960, 15 years before George Lucas even considered looking for people to play the part of Vader, but still.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:04 pm 

Thanks for that pic. It's also worth noting that taller people find it harder to pack on muscle as shorter folks....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:40 pm 
Random avatar

Gypsyboy wrote:
I know this image doesn't answer any questions really, because we don't know how big the guy in front is, but I thought this was interesting.

We can see that, although Prowse is much taller, his muscle mass is not proportionately greater than that of the man in front. He's body builder big, and he's tall, but not a monster. This was in 1960, 15 years before George Lucas even considered looking for people to play the part of Vader, but still.

For a bodybuilder, especially during his heyday, 6'4" is a monster. Hell, most of the greats are less than 6' tall now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm 

For myself being 6'6" tall and about 300lbs, I can say that proportions that seem normal or completly huge for a smaller person, are not so big to someone my size. Dosnt get any easier though to find fitting cloths though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:45 pm 
Random avatar

Prowse was strong built during SW but has lost most of his muscles in that pic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:14 pm 
Random avatar

I imagine this pic was taken during the height of his athletic fitness. I really like the expression on Prowse's face in this picture - it's like "little dude, I make two of you LOLOLOL".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:57 pm 

:ac10

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:59 pm 

Just a side note - looking through posts and topics - the large list of Vader measurements was just labeled with "Darth Vader" and didn't mention ESB or ROTJ, etc. in case that clears anything up. A minor point for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:52 am 
Random avatar

NoHumorMan wrote:

Height 6' 6"

Never!!! Maybe in armor???
Sorry, I saw Mr. Prowse in the early 90th. We wasn´t taller than 6.2!!!

Gypsyboy wrote:

Looks the other guy is not ever taller than Carrie Fisher. Remind the scene on death star in ANH!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Another few pictures of Prowse. Not sure where I found it, but can take it down, just let me know.

Image Image Image Image

Got more, it would be nice to see them, as it may help those buffing up their mannequins to Prowse proportions. There was a picture of the full body cast of Prowse used by Brian Muir to sculpt the Vader armor pieces on posted here somewhere, but I can't find it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:52 am 
Random avatar

Full body cast would be interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next