It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Vader Sculpture
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:19 pm 

Hello guys! some little updates, the general shape starts to look, I added a piece of crest in front just to give an idea! I was lucky enough to be able to make a cardboard silhouette of the base of the dome from a friend's helmet, it should be a don post I think! I then stuck the silhouette on the base of the sculpture, it helped me to see the real size and correct the shape!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, the skirt width and shape looks much better now. Not as flared as before. You need to add a little more material at the widows peak area. It should almost follow the contours up the upper eyelids on the mask - not exactly, but a little more than it does now. You can sorta see in the frontal pictures where you need to add material out from the middle, as you see the eyelids drop down away from the dome ridge. Hope that makes sense.

At the side view you can see the skirt curves from the groove separation and down towards the bottom. It should curve at all back there, but be a straight angle from top to bottom. Also, the bottom edge should angle up a bit about the halfway to 2/3 of the way back from the front corners, as that is the leftover of the ANH curved bottom edge.

Image, on Flickr
(click on the picture to get to the original size)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:57 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Yeah, the skirt width and shape looks much better now. Not as flared as before. You need to add a little more material at the widows peak area. It should almost follow the contours up the upper eyelids on the mask - not exactly, but a little more than it does now. You can sorta see in the frontal pictures where you need to add material out from the middle, as you see the eyelids drop down away from the dome ridge. Hope that makes sense.

At the side view you can see the skirt curves from the groove separation and down towards the bottom. It should curve at all back there, but be a straight angle from top to bottom. Also, the bottom edge should angle up a bit about the halfway to 2/3 of the way back from the front corners, as that is the leftover of the ANH curved bottom edge.

Image, on Flickr
(click on the picture to get to the original size)

Thank you, always help your experience and your advice! I sign everything for the next time I work on sculpture! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Damn me and my spelling errors. What I meant about the vertical rear back skirt edge is that it SHOULDN'T curve, but be more straight - the angle looks decent though. Sorry if my post was confusing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:03 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Damn me and my spelling errors. What I meant about the vertical rear back skirt edge is that it SHOULDN'T curve, but be more straight - the angle looks decent though. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Thanks for the correction, in fact that part I had not understood well! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:41 pm 

Hello guys! I have some little updates to make, I removed a lot of material and the shape has improved! slowly it takes shape! I have already seen some corrections to make for the next time, raise the back of the dome a little, going down towards the front, and other little things! Every criticism and advice is always welcome! :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 am 
Site Admin

This is getting better and better. Looks really great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:02 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
This is getting better and better. Looks really great.

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup We hope to continue so well! After the dome I will go back to work on the mask, I didn't want to change it anymore, but I don't really like the neck, it's too wide! It's a never-ending story! :fight

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Neck looks fine to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm 

No Humor Man wrote:
Neck looks fine to me.

I like the left side (worn), the problem is that when I sculpted, the side underlined in red on the photo of the TM seemed to me that it had an exaggerated curve, and so on the sculpture or tried to eliminate that shape and do everything more symmetrical! But this way my neck seems too wide! And that shape so assymetrical, it's actually an important feature to give the real look to a Vader mask! I pointed out in red on my mask the things I'm going to fix, but we'll talk about it when the dome comes out of a mold! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Though I'm a perfectionist too, I actually don't mind the symmetrical feel of some parts of your helmet. But again, being bitten by the perfectionist bug I know what you mean. Just be careful you don't stick to only that, because then you'll never finish anything. You have to find that sweet spot where something looks pleasing but could use a few more tweaks... and basically stop there, because you may ruin "the look" if you try to go for ultimate perfection. And "the look" is more important than getting everything just right.

And you have "the look" already.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:16 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
Though I'm a perfectionist too, I actually don't mind the symmetrical feel of some parts of your helmet. But again, being bitten by the perfectionist bug I know what you mean. Just be careful you don't stick to only that, because then you'll never finish anything. You have to find that sweet spot where something looks pleasing but could use a few more tweaks... and basically stop there, because you may ruin "the look" if you try to go for ultimate perfection. And "the look" is more important than getting everything just right.

And you have "the look" already.

Thanks, you're absolutely right! I'm finishing in the oblivion of obsession Vader lol! As you say find perfection, especially in a Vader mask, sculpting from scratch, I think it's almost impossible! I just want to change some little things, for example my eyebrows, I just have to polish them a little, which are too round, the nose slightly raised because it is low and too straight. Small changes, only the neck will be a little bigger change, let's say! In general I'm satisfied, but you'll know better than me that if you don't like something about the work you've done, you can't leave it as it is! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm 

Hi guys, I have some little updates for the dome! In the picture the helmet on the left is the most recent, on the right instead it is before the changes, with the arrows indicating where I modified! One question, does anyone know how wide the central ridge of the dome must be?

Here the link to a video where I superimpose my dome on a photo of the TM! The shape fits quite well!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B39ZCBZIU7_/?igshid=wm189s4av940

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am 

Hello guys! The work on the sculpture of the dome is a good point, so I put it a little aside to return to work on the mask! I didn't like the end result, and so I studied the parts of the mask that didn't look right! The biggest flaw was the nose and cheek band that was too low, which was almost dug! So I cut that level and raised everything, now I'm sculpting the part, which is much more correct!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:36 pm 

It’s coming together nicely.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next