It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Rogue One Darth Vader helmet discussion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:11 am 

Turrican wrote:
TheIronGAMING wrote:
Darctic wrote:
That helmet wasn't in the rest of the movie. That looks to be from a deleted scene.

Then what should we call it? The boarding party helmet?

Btw. Iron Gaming, may i can ask you who are you?
I see you are new here to the board, so how did you make it over to here?

Mainly people mentioning this forum in the RPF. If you peek around the RO Vader thread there I am there.
Trust me, just skip the end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum. Have fun.

The more I hear about the RO Vader the more I'm puzzled, as to why that production wasn't given access to the LFL archives to get their pieces from.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 am 

No Humor Man wrote:

The more I hear about the RO Vader the more I'm puzzled, as to why that production wasn't given access to the LFL archives to get their pieces from.

Yeah but at least it came from someone well known and respected here on the den and the RPF.

On an unrelated note, I was at the mall yesterday and saw a poster of RO vader's helmet and it had cut tubes. I bought it and will post pics when I can. Then I saw a canvas print that had no cut tubes.
Can someone please explain?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am 

No Humor Man wrote:

Jup, also the same here.
Seems it was much more easier for them to grap some fanmade parts, instead going for the real deal.
If they not wanted to damage some 30 year old stuff, they had could go for 3D scanning instead of copy some fanmade stuff.
Also as those fanmade parts are all "unlicenced bootleg's", if you come to think of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

Turrican wrote:
No Humor Man wrote:

Jup, also the same here.
Seems it was much more easier for them to grap some fanmade parts, instead going for the real deal.
If they not wanted to damage some 30 year old stuff, they had could go for 3D scanning instead of copy some fanmade stuff.
Also as those fanmade parts are all "unlicenced bootleg's", if you come to think of it.

That 30 year old stuff is probably damaged.
Plus, they wanted continuity. Imagine a large garage full of stuff used in the film. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. That's why the costumes you see at exhibits, while being screen used, look like something from a fever dream.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

You could still make copies or 3D scans from either the props or the molds. We know the Rick Baker mold still works because it was used for the eFX helmet, so why they didn't use that - as it is a direct helmet mold from the actual screen used ANH helmet - is beyond me. If the mold couldn't handle another casting, they could have scanned it. They also have loads of armors, shins and chest boxes and belt boxes in the archives, so again, why not copy that? To go the fan route simply makes no sense and the epIII production was allowed to mold a Return of the Jedi Vader helmet... that mold would still be available and could easily have produced a good base to work from. Still authentic. Still LFL based. It just makes no sense, considering the director was in the archives when doing research.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 am 

They could have also used some of the EFX helmets directly or recasting them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 pm 

They had full access to the Archives and possessed the Rick Baker mould.
You have to realize there is a massive disconnect and lack of communication between the huge corporate entities involved. It is a mess most of the time. Bottom line is the person that would have to make those creative calls probably had no idea what assets were available. So the crew likely took it upon themselves to source what they could from within their ranks.
I would have preferred even a stock EFX seeing as they would have been readily available. But whatever happened it is done. ..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:59 am 
Random avatar

Completely makes no sense. They surely knew someone that knew something about the screen used props. It's def done now, but damn! They could have had a number of 501st ANH Vader that could've made the cut in physique and costume.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:56 am 

Disney doesn't really care about accuracy like the few people like us do, so it was to be expected. Could have been worse too. For Disney if a prop looks 90% is ok. Heck even 50% or less, might do it for them, as long as so many people pay the tickets and buy the stuff, considering most still have no idea there is a difference between Vaders in movies. So Disney didn't bother to do more alas. But there is one thing for sure: this will happen again, if we see Vader or troopers or other known characters in upcoming movies, they will be different from the ones we know, and maybe different from the RO too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am 
Random avatar

I'm starting to wonder if they really did have access to the archives at all. Compared to the main new trilogy... what is the budget/input for this movie?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:06 pm 
Random avatar

kroenen77 wrote:
The film was a boring desaster.The Vaderhelmet looks also cheap and wrong in the first scenes.
At the end it looked better.I think they used smoked lenses there and not red ones like before?

Rogue One most definitely was NOT a boring disaster! Get some glasses if you already don't have any and if you do get a stronger prescription.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:47 am 
Random avatar

I swear that the first Vader helmet seen in Rouge One looks like a Sith planet face.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:55 am 
Random avatar

I still havnt seen the film :rolleyes But upon viewing these stills of Vader,I cant help but wonder what they were thinking with this cape?As mentioned,it looks thin and why is wrapped around his neck?Horrid.The mask looks ok,but again,as mentioned here,it does have a plastic(y) look to it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 pm 

danzig1313 wrote:
I still havnt seen the film :rolleyes But upon viewing these stills of Vader,I cant help but wonder what they were thinking with this cape?As mentioned,it looks thin and why is wrapped around his neck?Horrid.The mask looks ok,but again,as mentioned here,it does have a plastic(y) look to it

That's because it is a 3d printed helmet off a laserscanned Quasi ANH V2 . It is plastic.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next