It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: The 1994 Christies's ESB helmet, a new look
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

the-s-collection wrote:
Very well put! I have been following this forum for years and being a collector/buyer of screen used or production made SW props, it is important to note that someone paid good hard money for that helmet! (At the time that owner spent his 10k in 94 for that helmet they all called the winner crazy i assure) today $$$ different ballpark$$$! :) In terms of speculating and publicly posting speculative opinions about someone's Vader helmet who is not present to defend his baby that was sold thru the same auction house that has sold 100 million dollar single paintings?? This is nothing to joke about as it is so easy for someone (even myself) with NO financial interest in the said helmet (or any SW prop) to sit and post about how it cannot be what you/we think. The collector who won that auction knows the story as did the consignor....nuff said. You see verifiable (hopefully) provenance is part of what a collector pays for when they step up to that plate and try to win it. This is why we are so flippin scared to show any of our stuff publicly on forums but thanks goes to the Guys that have been here long enough to know when to slow down some. No Humor and Sithlord have really earned my respect here and maybe its time to come forward with our UK Helmet.... Carsten, you can have TM contact me as i know why his helmet came secured the way it did.....This is my first post and glad to have had this site as a helpful reference over the years so thanks!

Well, first let me say welcome to the forum and glad you find it a helpful reference. Thanks also for the kind words. Personally, I do not know the auction text, nor what the potential buyers and the buyer was told about it and what provenance they were provided. Would be cool to know, though. Most of what we do here is speculate and try to reason and find out the truth about things. I try to push people to not jump to conclusions and go with what is known and possible to prove and leave the rest as speculation and I hope people do the same to me, when I go overboard with a theory.

And yes, I have heard it plenty of times that people who own authentic stuff, screen used or production pieces, even pieces from original molds are often wary of posting or talking about their stuff. Completely understandable.

Am interested in the news about a UK helmet that hasn't been shown before. Always nice to see new pieces. Just post when and if you feel ready. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 pm 

gonk27 wrote:

Unfortunately I have no idea when the photo was taken, there were a couple of other lowish-res ones floating around at one point, I'll see if I can find them.

The fact that it's numbered in chalk is interesting. That isn't something one would usually do to their own private copy, (unless they were passing it off as something it isn't!) Comparing the the way the number's written, where it's placed perhaps, the dome attachment and strapping, even the type of fibreglass inside the face could all possibly help in working out what this helmet is.

Finding the person who sold it in the first place would also be a bonus. I tried contacting Christies once about that but never got anywhere. There's always the chance it was made for production, but without knowing what happened to it afterwards it becomes extremely difficult to say. If it was cleaned up and repainted by someone it could become virtually impossible to ever place. I've seen other original Star Wars props that have been repainted by people who felt they were 'improving' them, of course once you do that you loose any chance of screen-matching them.

I tend to agree that the artefacts you're seeing could very well be reflection, but who knows? Admire your enthusiasm though :salut

It's certainly a mystery and something I've wondered about for years.

Gonk27,
You said it was numbered in chalk? - Can you elaborate on that some? - Where did you see it? - What number was it? - Any chance you're still looking for those other pictures?

John

---

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 pm 

Hi John
I've not seen the number myself but the auction text mentions that it's numbered in chalk.

I can't remember off hand what the number is, and I'm on holiday at the moment but I'll check next week. I may have copied the auction text into the original thread about this helmet, would check but I'm on my phone and haven't got great signal here!

Jeremy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:22 am 

Cool Jeremy, I hope it says something.it would be especially cool if it said something that makes sense. :wink:

----

John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23 pm 

Hi John

I've found the auction catalogue, this is the lot description:

Darth Vader
A black/grey fibreglass skull helmet with wide-flanged rim and faceted characterised face, the inside inscribed in white chalk 3 - made for the 1980 Lucasfilm The Empire Strikes Back.
£3,000-£4,000

(I don't know what price it actually sold for though).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 pm 

A white chalk number 3, that's interesting. I'm surprised the auction house actually released that piece of information.

Thanks for posting that, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:48 pm 
Random avatar

Welcome s-collection
Really looking forward to your future postings
Im a fan with a true interest in discovering more about the origins of the real helmets, how they were made and the origins of the uk mould that (we expect) was the source of the ep 5 & 6 helmets.
No need to feel any trepardation about position. Myself and theres plenty more like me on this site , have no ego, just respect & genuine interest
Cheers
Mike

the-s-collection wrote:
Very well put! I have been following this forum for years and being a collector/buyer of screen used or production made SW props, it is important to note that someone paid good hard money for that helmet! (At the time that owner spent his 10k in 94 for that helmet they all called the winner crazy i assure) today $$$ different ballpark$$$! :) In terms of speculating and publicly posting speculative opinions about someone's Vader helmet who is not present to defend his baby that was sold thru the same auction house that has sold 100 million dollar single paintings?? This is nothing to joke about as it is so easy for someone (even myself) with NO financial interest in the said helmet (or any SW prop) to sit and post about how it cannot be what you/we think. The collector who won that auction knows the story as did the consignor....nuff said. You see verifiable (hopefully) provenance is part of what a collector pays for when they step up to that plate and try to win it. This is why we are so flippin scared to show any of our stuff publicly on forums but thanks goes to the Guys that have been here long enough to know when to slow down some. No Humor and Sithlord have really earned my respect here and maybe its time to come forward with our UK Helmet.... Carsten, you can have TM contact me as i know why his helmet came secured the way it did.....This is my first post and glad to have had this site as a helpful reference over the years so thanks!

Profile E-mail