It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: One more Rubies Supreme modification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 pm 

Picture

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:08 pm 

Looking good, Ossie.
Can you elaborate onhow you redid the dome mounting system? I can't quite get mine to where I want it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm 

Ok, i have to say i like your vader poholio, but it will look better if you fix the dome position and get some gloss finish (did you try with car polish?)

I tried to to fix the dome position with the original mount on the mask but it was too far off, the mount have to sit maby 2.5cm back, a little lower and tilted a little to the back.

If you still have the original mount on the face mask i think the easiest way would be to cut it of and position it like you want it and then use fiber glas to connect the mask and the mount.

I dont have any picture from when i did the new mount, but i can try to show you with this picture. I had to make a new mount because the old one was completely destroyed from when i tried to modify it.

First you need to tape the face and the dome in a position you like.

I put some plastic protection in the mount of the dome so the fiber glas dont stick to it, then i simply put slices of fiber glas from the mask to the dome mounting system. Dont forget to sand the areas where you want the fiber glas to stick, and you probobly have to cut of a bit of the dome mounting system, that edge is too high.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 pm 

How well is the fiberglass welded to the plastic? If you flex the plastic, will the welds break?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 am 

Thanks for the input, Ossie. I am not satisfied with the dome position nor the finish. I hesitate to do major cutting, so I am still thinking about alternatives. As for the paintjob, I did try car polish, but the finish of the paint itself never came out glossy and smooth to begin with. I painted it in the late fall, so I think the colder temps played havoc on the paint. I intend to resand and prime and try again, along with 2000 grit paper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 am 

Looking back at my own mods and that of others, I think that there are some tutorials still floating around out there that teach you to cut the dome mounting system into the crown of the head in order to alter its angle. Any time you cut this plastic and rely on bondo-type substances or epoxies, these things may break when flexed.

I feel that doing so presents new challenges. A lot of stuff sticks to the black plastic, but not many things truly weld and flex with it.

I think it's possible to simply cut the mounting system down to 50% of its original height (on the faceplate and on the inside crown of the dome) and that may help to a degree. But my concern is that the dome not only needs to sit lower but needs to be pivoted away from the face so that the rear of the dome covers the neck.

So a possible solution is to cut the mount receiver on the inside of the dome out using a disc, but saving it for later. Then once you've established the right pivot angle, then glue the mount in its new position.

Hope that makes sense. In this way, you don't harm the mask so much.

Another way, which involves absolutely no cutting (but you may not like this) is to soak the mask in boiling hot water as you would to modify the neck (try not to use a heat gun, as concentration of heat can cause plastic to blister). Once soft enough, put the dome on, and then mechanically force the mask into its new dome positioning. This will widen the skull somewhat. You're basically rotating the helmet back and having it sink down. Run with cool water, then find blue painter masking tape to tape it in that position. Use books or weights or whatever to try to get the helmet to cool slowly into its new position and set. Stick it in the refrigerator for a day or so, until you're certain the "memory" of the plastic is overcome.

Now when you pull off the dome, prepare to laugh because your faceplate will look like Casper the Friendly Ghost or a pregnant light bulb. But most won't notice. This heat treat method involves no cutting, and that's the beauty (and ugly) of it.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:50 am 

Mac,
Thanks for the "X-ray" image of the Rubies. Enlightening.
I cut into the sides of the mount on the mask itself, about half of the length of the mount. Then I heated it to just be able to push it in and at an angle. I think TMG recommended this method at some point. It has improved theangle, but I am still not happy with it. I have seen some posts in which the mount receiver in the dome is cut along the sides at an angle decreasing toward the front. I am on the fence about this method. Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:07 am 

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're saying. Please post some shots taken at least 6 feet back, as that distance is a good standard to where cameras suffer less from lens/perspective distortion.

Hey, this is Ossie's thread, right? If you want to start your own, PM me when you do, so I can post a response to what you're asking. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:39 pm 

My Vader projekt have been standing still for a few weeks, i have just been driving Sweden-Italy two times, about 700km, and now im going to France for a month. So i will finish it when i get back :)

CSMaclaren: The fiber glass stick quite good and flex a little, i made alot of scatches with my dremel so the polyester would stick, but i dont know if its good enough.

Poholio: I dont have any tip for you about the final painting, since im not there yet :) But maby you can talk to a professional car painter and he could do it, i dont think it would cost much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 pm 

I dont have any big update for you since i spent a few months abroad.

But now i spent a few hours shaping the dome and filling the cheeks of the mask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 am 

Did you cut off the upper tubes or was it covered over when you built up the sunken cheeks? dang...now i cant wait for my Rubies to arrive :wink: , lookin great!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 am 

No i didnt cut it of, but i have alot of problems with this now, it was more difficult than i thought :cool: But now i have to find some kind of tube to replace it, on top of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 am 

Hope to see your Rubies here soon, you will probobly finish before i do :banger

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Already looking much better.

For the upper tubes, seeing as you filled in most of the area, I would recommend Aves apoxie sculp, as it bonds well to most things and works somewhat like clay before it hardens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:29 pm 

Garlic

I went to the shop looking for that epoxy sculpt you talked about, i found an epoxy putty from plastic padding, i will try that one.

Right now am working on the helmet, to make the edge thicker.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next