It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Esb helmet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

The dome position is much better. I think you got that right. The dome really isn't that different... just photographed at a different distance, which affects the look of the shape.

Regarding the neck, you need to add to the front of the neck and not as much in the rear, trying to create a curved appearance into the rear. The left side (right in the frontal pictures) needs to be reshaped completely and you may have to build up the shape on the inside and then grind off the old neck that extends out to the side, as it should be more straight down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:54 pm 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
The dome position is much better. I think you got that right. The dome really isn't that different... just photographed at a different distance, which affects the look of the shape.

Regarding the neck, you need to add to the front of the neck and not as much in the rear, trying to create a curved appearance into the rear. The left side (right in the frontal pictures) needs to be reshaped completely and you may have to build up the shape on the inside and then grind off the old neck that extends out to the side, as it should be more straight down.

Ok. I am reading a lot of things that say you can bend fibreglass if you heat it up with a heatgun and bend it a tiny bit at a time. I may give this a go to fix the bent side rather than rebuilding and grinding. Even if it goes wrong and I Fu#k the piece of neck up I am working on it shouldn't be too much of a problem as it's wrong anyway.
Has anyone else tried this on a helmet? I know of someone who dine it on some quite thick armour and it worked. As a helmet neck is quite thin then I can't see it will be a problem. Unless I am overlooking something obvious.?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm 

When the mask is "nodding" (photographed looking downwards) it will increase one's perception of the flaring of the neck. I honestly don't think you should worry too much on that. It looks like the front lip of the neck has been cut down which messes up the proportions of the mask. If you're up to the modification, it looks like roughly 1 cm. or more has been removed.

It's best if you stand back at least 6 feet and zoom in (without cutting off any part of the mask in the image) when photographing. In that way we can get a better sense of proportions which are usually obscured if a mask is photographed too closely (perspective distortion).

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:50 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
When the mask is "nodding" (photographed looking downwards) it will increase one's perception of the flaring of the neck. I honestly don't think you should worry too much on that. It looks like the front lip of the neck has been cut down which messes up the proportions of the mask. If you're up to the modification, it looks like roughly 1 cm. or more has been removed.

It's best if you stand back at least 6 feet and zoom in (without cutting off any part of the mask in the image) when photographing. In that way we can get a better sense of proportions which are usually obscured if a mask is photographed too closely (perspective distortion).

What would be the best way to 'add' to the neck without turning it into a thick mess. I would of thought epoxy putty might work but you would have to apply it quite thick so it would stick properly. I know nobody but me will see the inside but I still don't want it looking a mess.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm 

PM sent.

- Mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Actually. You can do it quite thin. As thin as the rest of the mask. Only rough up the inside bottom of the neck line on the mask, so the material you are using will be able to grip better. Also, you can build up a slight overlap on the inside just where it connects for a better hold, but keeping the rest as thick as the rest of the helmet.

I've been using apoxie sculpt and it's a two-part epoxy resin and I've found that it's the easiest to work with. It has a curing time of roughly two hours, starts getting harder before that, but will need support until it's cured or it may sag slightly. Don't do too much at a time... rather work in small sections, slowly building up the neck shape and restoring it back to how it should look. Whoever trimmed it completely removed the swooping curve at the front, so you should not add a uniform 1 cm extension across the whole neck. That would be wrong. You should add more at the front and then decrease the length the further towards the rear you go, to create that curve.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
Whoever trimmed it completely removed the swooping curve at the front, so you should not add a uniform 1 cm extension across the whole neck. That would be wrong. You should add more at the front and then decrease the length the further towards the rear you go, to create that curve.

I've documented the Don Post Deluxe quite extensively, and it can serve as a reference. Only the front appears cut so restore up to 1cm. You'll have to hunt around for it.. things got moved around so I dont' know where the thread is at.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 am 

Thanks for the replys on what to use for building up the neck. Unfortunately neither apoxie sculpt or magic sculpt are available in the u.k.
So I will be using milliput which seems to be very similar to apoxie sculpt and I have used it a lot in the past. It's a 2 part epoxy putty made for the modeling world . I have some yellow kicking about here and will have a bit of a play with it and a practice (on the piece of dome mount I removed) and I will get some black milliput when I do the helmet alterations (I know I will be annoyed with myself if I dont use the same colour as the helmet)!!! (I must have a touch of o.c.d!! Lol ;) )

Allso I am not trying to get too far ahead of myself but I could really do with a good helmet painting tutorial. I can't find one anywhere (even YouTube doesn't have one!!!).
I would really like to know what the best order to paint/mask the various parts on the helmet. Any help or tips would be really handy. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:05 am 

How hard is the putty? Slapping putty and sanding is one thing, but doing it accurately is another. Test-mix a portion of your putty and see if you can smooth it with wet fingertips. If you can, then you have some options you haven't had before. If it sticks to absolutely everything, then obviously don't let it touch your skin. Make sure that when it hardens, it will stick to the fiberglass like rock, as you don't want it to break.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 am 

Also, another thing with putty: if the putty bends under its own weight, simply do a small bit at a time to where it won't sag.

Another thing is to observe its cure time. When it starts to firm up a little, it can still be manipulated to an extent. Best to watch it and correct for sag ever 10-15 minutes until it's set, then leave it for the 8, 12, or 24 hrs it requires to cure.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 am 

twofootlong wrote:
Thanks for the replys on what to use for building up the neck. Unfortunately neither apoxie sculpt or magic sculpt are available in the u.k.

Hold your horses right there, I bought some apoxie sculpt.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 am 

Vaux wrote:
twofootlong wrote:

Hold your horses right there, I bought some apoxie sculpt.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

Yeah idid see these on eBay but I don't really want a lb of it. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, they are big cans of apoxie sculpt, but I can tell you, once you've tried it you just want to keep playing with it and building new stuff and using it for everything and you'll start wondering what the heck you did before you got it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:08 pm 

Ok here is the helmet front on. I have taken the first pic from 6th away to get the correct perspective.
If anyone with some Photoshop skills would like to draw a rough line to where I should roughly be aiming it would be a massive help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm 

The comparison pic is of a Don Post Deluxe from this thread: 1-vt1124.html

Mac if you want me to take it down just pm me.

It's not going to be perfect but I've lined the noses up, it gives an idea of how much to add don't follow it to the letter sorta thing.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next