It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Interesting ANH Faceplate on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:56 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
The photos are too small and blurry, but I agree with the shape.

At any rate, if people wait long enough, the eFX will likely get recast, and that would make any exclusivity of this mask obsolete.

Not quite. EFX, while nice, isn't a DJ or SL.

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 pm 

sskunky wrote:
Propsmith, I was also thinking of bidding on it just for curiosity sake, so are we going to have a bidding war? :toothy

I don't think so...money is short and it looks like he's not willing to ship internationally. I just sold my GH ROTJ to you so getting a facemask only Vader won't make any sence.

I still wait fort a pic from the top view of the helmet he said he needs one day to upload one. The left upper tusk tube shapewise reminds me of a VP but again, the pics are blurry and distorted.

EDIT: I think we will see more helmets like this pop up. People will try to sell them before the release of the EFX Vader will de-value their casts. In my opinion the EFX Vader (depending on it's final state) will change the whole Vader thing dramatically...Imagine all the recasts which will be modified to ROTJ or ESB and then will be reselled again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:27 am 

wannab wrote:
Well, after comparing it to my SL I'd have to say nope. Many things are different, and it is waaaay too soft. I'll let Thomas point out some of the details as I'm not sure I can without giving info I agreed not to disclose.

Doug

I hope for your sake Doug and the rest of the SL owners (as well as Thomas) that this is just a bad attempt at trying to make a casting look authentic. I do remember, however, some of the same comments made by a few about softness and bad pics etc with regards to the TD and SL auctions and we know what they turned out to be. I guess we will find out in a few days if the person who buys it, shows it off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:20 am 

TD for comparison:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Admin

That looks vac-formed in softness. The no-disclosure on background info raises a BIG RED FLAG in my mind. Sounds fishy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 pm 

Looks "rubbery", at least to my untrained eye.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:35 pm 
Random avatar

I might be wrong on this but this doesn't look like an SL to me but the pics are pretty poor on the auction.

Obviously I am limited to what I can say about the SL but if you look at the pics here on the Den of the SL there are few quick things for sure that stand out that don't make it like an SL - The features are very soft compared to an SL. The holes at the end of the tubes where the tusks go are nothing like the SL. The chin vent hole is much deeper than the SL. I really don't see it being an SL or to be honest anything derived from the Rick Baker mould.

I am sure Thomas will chime in to point out numerous differences on this faceplate compared to his one.

I hope it isn't a recast - if it is I might just have to fetch my pitch fork and torch

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 pm 

OK,
If I bid for this am I going to be going head to head with anyone here? If I do win this then I am willing to take hi-res pics and show it off for everyone to analyze and tell me what it is. But I don't want to be spending more than I have to if someone here is going to bid against me. I understand you don't have to tell me if you are going to bid but it would be nice to know. :thumbsup :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:38 pm 

To be honest I will bid on this too but on a very tight budget and just for the reasons I've mentioned above.

The seller doesn't give ANY information on this, requests for better pics were not responed to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:30 pm 
Random avatar

I won't be bidding on it so feel free but to be honest guys I wouldn't go crazy. I think it looks a bit like a soft 20th Century from the pics. I presume as well the seller will be making more as he says that no dome will be offered with this particular cast which makes me think there may be more casts to come and a dome may arrive as well.

I think the whole thing is pretty suspect.

Sorry for being so cynical but that is part and parcel of the Vader world :blah

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:19 pm 

I don't think its a 20th C The top right (left as you look at it, second pic) tube doesn't have the bend that the one in the auction has....Not mine anyhoo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:45 am 

Definitely not a recast SL or DJ or VP, so the respective owners can put their minds at ease.

What I think at this point is that it is most likely a copy of a DS 20th C that has been modified to look ANH. Given the greater availability of the DS 20th C it isn't surprising.

If so, then the neck has been modified, so has the rear edge and rear corner of neck where it meets the rear edge. The lenses were added. The vent was modded to ANH and is just filled in to look like an SL but SPFX has done that with his newer masks as well (although to make it look like a UK mask) so that is nothing new. It might have a remnant of the grill impression in the mouth gaps, just doesn't show up too well in the photos and they might have been covered with filler material. The notch on the right nose bridge seems to have been deepened.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm 

Definately won't bid on this finally...the shape of the end of the upper left tusk tube really does look exactly like a 20th Century one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't waste my money. It screams bloody poorly crafted recast at inflated prices to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 pm 

I have asked him to confirm that it is not a recast of any known casting already out there and listed all I could think of and low and behold have not got an answer. That in itself has made me cancel any thought of bidding. If he had confirmed I could have got my money back on false info. As it stands he can't seem to confirm anything.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next