It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: New ANH helmet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:27 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks guys I am extremely happy with this helmet. No buyers regret on this one :)

Carsten I had great plans of getting this finished by one of our great artisans from the Den / RPF but on seeing the helmet I am genuinely a bit apprehensive about getting it done just the details are so stunning it would be a shame to dull any of them down. I will have to come to a decision on what I want to do but it is a hard choice. I might try to get a second helmet for painting up.

Paul don't worry this is an officially sanctioned thread :toothy

I will try to get a few more pics done but thanks to the evil Edinburgh rain gods outside ones are at a premium just now.

I will hopefully get a chance to get a few Vaders together for comparison pics as well.

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:54 pm 

very nice helmet :cheers !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:37 pm 

May I offer a suggestion?

I have been experimenting with acrylic paints, particularly ones that can wash off with warm water and soap. Apparently, not all acrylic paints come off with that ease so make sure you read the label regarding water solubility. I was inspired by one Den member speaking well of FolkArt paint. Anyway, water soluble acrylic paint can go on and provide wonderful color. If you make a mistake, simply wash it off and start over. It's non-aggressive and does not harm the finish. In washing paint off, if the surfaces are not smooth, some residual paint might require more attention (e.g. a sponge, a soft brush, etc.).

I've gotten some pleasant results from this approach. I don't care to use car paint for the sake of it being "accurate" - not if I can achieve an acceptable look that is long lasting to where I can change my mind without harming the casting's finish.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 am 
Random avatar
yeah I like FolkArt paint as long as it's the "Outdoor" line.
This stuff is like a rock when it's dry..

While experimenting, I was trying to find a good paint for my mini Vader display I tried it and I was
very happy with the durabuility after fully cured.. It will however come off pretty easy if you use Mineral Spirits,
so while you would love to buff it with polish, many waxes and polishes are petroleum based which would
take the paint right off..

also a really good durable paint is Vallejo Game Color. I also use this and it's pigment is great
as well as it's durability..

Of course this is all assuming your gonna paint it yourself ;) :wink: :lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:54 am 

Nice helmet, is anyone going to say its the SL or is it all planned out to hide that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 am 
Site Admin

I think it was meant to be subtle :wink:

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 am 

This was subtle?! Ha! If so then I have no worries over passing gas in church at leisure.

:thumbsup

:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm 
Random avatar

darthjones wrote:
This was subtle?! Ha! If so then I have no worries over passing gas in church at leisure.

:thumbsup

:)

You made me spit water on my monitor! You have to clean it up now!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 pm 

:lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:11 pm 

As long as you didn't get water on the keyboard... :)

Was going to ask though too - the only ANH screen I have for the DJ is the screen now in the mouth. Where do folks get ANH screen? ESB/ ROTJ screen? Curious. I want to re-do the mouth on my cleaned up Vader helmet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:56 pm 
Random avatar

darthjones,

For ANH mouth grill Marcus (Kurtyboy) over at the RPF has some really accurate grill. If he has none left I might have some spare but would have to do some hunting to find it. I will hopefully be seeing Marcus tomorrow so I can ask if he has any spare. Not sure on ESB / ROTJ suppliers just now.

Cheers Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I agree contact Marcus for ANH. Regarding ESB and ROTJ mesh there is nothing accurate to buy so it has to be sourced by the few that have it.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Admin

voice in the crowd wrote:
Carsten I had great plans of getting this finished by one of our great artisans from the Den / RPF but on seeing the helmet I am genuinely a bit apprehensive about getting it done just the details are so stunning it would be a shame to dull any of them down. I will have to come to a decision on what I want to do but it is a hard choice. I might try to get a second helmet for painting up.

Bummer... would have loved to see it finished, though can understand your reasoning. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:56 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
voice in the crowd wrote:

Bummer... would have loved to see it finished, though can understand your reasoning. :thumbsup

I hope nobody shoots me down for saying this, but it's totally okay to leave it unpainted. A casting of this nature is like a historical record. Paint would obscure that record. I'd be happy to leave something like that unpainted and set up to be regarded like a sculpture.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
NoHumorMan wrote:
I hope nobody shoots me down for saying this, but it's totally okay to leave it unpainted.

:gib:

Just kidding! :blah

I fully agree. Completely understandable, Chris.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next