It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Vader Cape Patterns
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:31 am 

Vadermonkey wrote:
Weren't Bob Anderson and Dave Prowse both costumed for some of the carbon chamber shots? I thought I saw a pic somewhere of them both in costume on set at one point.

Now that's a photo I'd like to see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:45 pm 

Thanks for that DJ!

darthjones wrote:
Hey, guys - I think the dude said it was wool but it has that kind of "gaberdene" (however you spell it) weave. It was pretty darn heavy too.

I suspect it is the "No disintegrations" cape cuz thats the only one where we see that yoke thing from behind I think.

They also had the tunic there, same material.

Had the hooks inside the leather to which a plastic chain could be attached.

They tell me it was sold as an ANH cape because if it was ESB/ ROTJ than LFL owned it.

But I think its ESB from that yoke shot with Fett - just a guess.

Other capes at LFL had a wider weave and were slightly "fuzzier" - definitely more sterotypically wool on those.

But I have laid out two LFL capes on the floor. This one was a half circle and the other one was just over a half circle - like 200 degrees (a guess) instead of 180.

I think there's even a more full one than that but never got to do that one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:19 pm 

darthjones wrote:
Hey, guys - I think the dude said it was wool but it has that kind of "gaberdene" (however you spell it) weave. It was pretty darn heavy too.

I suspect it is the "No disintegrations" cape cuz thats the only one where we see that yoke thing from behind I think.

They also had the tunic there, same material.

Had the hooks inside the leather to which a plastic chain could be attached.

They tell me it was sold as an ANH cape because if it was ESB/ ROTJ than LFL owned it.

But I think its ESB from that yoke shot with Fett - just a guess.

Other capes at LFL had a wider weave and were slightly "fuzzier" - definitely more sterotypically wool on those.

But I have laid out two LFL capes on the floor. This one was a half circle and the other one was just over a half circle - like 200 degrees (a guess) instead of 180.

I think there's even a more full one than that but never got to do that one

Great info DJ....just goes to show the inconsistencies between the capesets...interesting.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm 

Fatherless One wrote:
Bloody hell, what are you doing hangin' around with a bunch of Star Wars nerds like us? You're WAY over-qualified :)

But seriously, it's great to have such expertise in our midst :)

Cheers,
Alan.

Actually my father was a private collector of stuff and a dyed in the wool SF fan. :lol Armour, weapons, film props... dad had more stuff, and all of it provenanced, with a documented chain of custody. My brother ended up with the gun collection. The Medieval armour and most of the swords ended up in the Glenbow Museum. The family connected Medieval stuff is at my place. The book collection was split up. I have his set of first editions signed by Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke. Dad used to read Heinlein to me as bedtime stories. The historical books went to the university as an individual collection. I am still dealing with most of the SF props. Much of it will go to the NW SF Museum in Seattle. I simply do not have the space or ability to properly conserve it all, and the insurance is not something I can afford to pay. A few of the more important pieces I will be keeping, but knowing what the numbers will come in around, I really don't look forward to getting them appraised for insurance purposes.

Maia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm 
Random avatar

What would be the best way to draw Vader's cape and inner robe? Should I draw it as accuratly as possible Like have the split in the robe details such as that Or draw my own versions of his cape and Inner robe? I'm doing a comic with Vader in it. You can see a sample of my drawings in this forum and On Taker's Prop Forum

William Shakespeare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 pm 

I have been researching Vader's cape as much as I can, mainly because I purchased KevVader's cape set. I was always under the impression that Vader's cape from the OT was 3/4th of a circle. When I received Kev's cape(for ROTJ) I noticed it was cut as a half circle at 180. I watched the film a lot and really focused on the back of Vader to really study the drape of the cape. It does drape like a half circle in many of the scenes. Is Vader's cape truly a half circle?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 pm 

Hi there
It is more than half a circle but less than 3/4, more like 2/3 or 3/5 of a circle. That's what I made mine and it drape over the shoulders but is open enough not to cover my chest. If I put my arms to my side it will hide them, but Vader is usually point at something or resting them on his belt.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:42 pm 

vader45 wrote:
I have been researching Vader's cape as much as I can, mainly because I purchased KevVader's cape set. I was always under the impression that Vader's cape from the OT was 3/4th of a circle. When I received Kev's cape(for ROTJ) I noticed it was cut as a half circle at 180. I watched the film a lot and really focused on the back of Vader to really study the drape of the cape. It does drape like a half circle in many of the scenes. Is Vader's cape truly a half circle?

The one from ANH is I think a half circle. And at least one from ESB. However, ROTJ is more full. I'd put money down on this.

I found the ROTJ pattern in this toy. Truly. That is why I saved this photo. The ROTJ cape I laid out on the floor was exactly this:

Attachment:
vader cape pattern.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:19 pm 

darthjones wrote:
vader45 wrote:

The one from ANH is I think a half circle. And at least one from ESB. However, ROTJ is more full. I'd put money down on this.

I found the ROTJ pattern in this toy. Truly. That is why I saved this photo. The ROTJ cape I laid out on the floor was exactly this:

Attachment:
vader cape pattern.jpg

I laid my Kev cape out on the floor and it is no more then a half circle. I'm under the impression that he was able to see some of the original capes in the archives.

But if you look at the scene where Vader is looking for Luke at the end of the duel there is a good shot of his back and the cape looks like its stretched like a half circle over the armor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:27 pm 

vader45 wrote:
darthjones wrote:
vader45 wrote:

Attachment:
vader cape pattern.jpg

I laid my Kev cape out on the floor and it is no more then a half circle. I'm under the impression that he was able to see some of the original capes in the archives.

But if you look at the scene where Vader is looking for Luke at the end of the duel there is a good shot of his back and the cape looks like its stretched like a half circle over the armor.

Yes, there are DEFINITELY half circle Vader capes in ESB. I laid out the bounty hunter "no disintegrations" cape - half circle for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:23 pm 

Thanks for that conformation on the half circle. I was doing some comparing to screen shots with my cape and they are pretty much a match for most of the scenes. I also saw Maia's old post comparing 3/4th design to a half design and the ROTJ cape does not drape no where near as much as a 3/4 does. Its closer to the half circle like my cape is. I don't think there are any fuller capes in the film after looking at all the screen shots with Vader's back towards the camera. The half design is reinforced on Bob Anderson since he didn't fill the back as much as Prowse did. It was sunken in further on the gap in the back of the armor and stretched more.

Profile E-mail