It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:15 pm 

interesting about the molds...well molds can shrink also because of moisture loss, correct? I have quite a few production molds from the prequels and hope they last too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:19 pm 
Random avatar
Some silicones are more prone to drying out than others. Think of it more like the shelf life of that particular silicone.

Just make sure the molds are stored in a cool dry place. And it's very important to not let any material touch up against the silicone that would absorb the oils out of it. Any fabrics, paper, wood, etc... will suck them dry over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:24 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
I was under the impression they did a laserscan in order to have the computer mirror-flip one side of the face so that the resulting helmet could be realized using a 3D printer.

Hi,

Mac you are 100% correct in fact there is DVD extra on one of the SW box sets that shows the EPIII Vader being made it shows a Vader helmet being scanned and new pieces being cut in a machine. It then shows the dome and faceplate being made. It is really good footage.

I will try to dig out and find what DVD it was on.

Gino you are absolutely correct the rebel fleet blaster mould still exists and I have a blaster from the run and it is a great piece.

I also think at one point LFL / Elstree had a few moulds. They definitely kept stuff in the UK and US for promotional work after the original trilogy was finished.

Wasn't there a company in the UK who used to deal with making promotional Vaders at some point? I cannot remember the name of the company for the life of me. I will trawl through some of my emails to see if I can find their name.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 pm 
Random avatar

Actually the rebel fleet blaster pics of gun and mould are still up if anyone is interested and hasn't seen them before. 30 year old moulds looking good :). Not sure if there is any size difference from an original.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=25020

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

They did mold a helmet, apparently to use only as reference. You can see the prop guy holding a cast of it in that extra feature about the RotS helmet, where he explained about the asymmetry of the originals.

Also, here is a link to an excerpt from an article from one of the prop guys being responsible for the creation of the RotS: http://www.sithtrainingtemple.net/phpBB ... ght=#14170

(you need to sign up to view)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 pm 

thanks for the tip Gino.

amazing about the blaster mold....man....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:49 pm 

I'm so glad to have such individuals around that share the same passion as i do.
Nice read, thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:54 pm 

voice in the crowd wrote:

Wasn't there a company in the UK who used to deal with making promotional Vaders at some point? I cannot remember the name of the company for the life of me. I will trawl through some of my emails to see if I can find their name.

1. are you referring to the late 70's/80's here?
2. I was told about this mysterious company too - but my research only ever
lead back to EMI Elstree or Don Post's guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:51 am 
Random avatar

Hi HAL9000,

I am sure I have a note of the company that dealt with promotional work and I am sure they even done stuff into the late 90's.

I just cannot find the information. I know I have it I will keep looking. Maybe the info I got is wrong but as I say I will keep looking.

Cheers Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:34 am 

Don Bies (of Lucasfilm Archives fame) set up a firm in thr 90's with his wife which produced promotional Vader costumes, called D & A Productions... he was the D and she was the 'A' IIRC.... geddit? :wink:

Don is an especially cool guy to talk to, and answered some vital questions I had over the phone, concerning my ROTJ Stormtrooper.

Cheers,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:54 pm 
Random avatar

John,

I have been sifting through mountains of emails and driving myself nuts trying to remember that. Funny thing is I just realised it was you who told me :lol

Thanks for putting me out my misery.

Cheers Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:51 am 

No probs mate... glad to help :)

In a nutshell, Don told me that his firm (D & A... sounds a bit like DNA) specifically created Vader promotional costumes... no other characters/costumes

I didn't push him for details on the Vader stuff as it was specifically the Stormtrooper's history I was interested in at the time. Also I received the phone call from him on my mobile/cell-phone whilst at work and had to rush out to my car to take the call, so I didn't have time to discuss life, the universe and everything!
He just told me a couple of things about the Stormtrooper costumes in the Archives, which confirmed what I had already suspected... :)

BTW Chris, I'm very happy with the box that arrived a couple of weeks ago... and I haven't forgotten :wink:

Cheers,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:37 pm 
Random avatar

Well on the Vader making company here it is from Don Bies in a post he made over at the RPF.

This refers to tour suits for stormtroopers and Vaders.

Quote:
I might be able to shed some light on this...

I was the Lucasfilm Archivist from 1988 until 1994, and then again from 1995 until 1996.

There were a total of 18 Darth Vaders made for the Fox marketing campaign of 1995, and I believe 32-36 stormtroopers made. Fox needed so many for different campaigns around the world, so they were sent off to places such as Australia, the UK, Italy, Spain, France, Mexico...A manual created by me accompanied each set (One Vader and Two troopers), explaining sizes of actors, how to dress, and how to act. Unlike the popular myth, the suits were not made for the Special Editions, although many of the stormtoopers were used in some of the scenes for extra filming, as the many original suits were in bad shape.

The ILM model shop, under the guidance of Charlie Bailey, made the stormtroopers, and I believe they were created using styrene. The molds were fabricated by pouring plaster into existing parts (ESB or ROJ era suits), and cleaned up here and there--though many parts are not as sharp as their originals. Additionally, some smaller patterns were created new, such as belt and knee details. They also molded prop guns to go with the characters out of urethane.

The Vaders were created by my wife and I under our company banner (at the time) of DNA Productions. The mask was cast in fiberglass, and the helmets and chest control boxes were vacuum-formed black styrene. Urethane details were cast to dress the control box, and stock electrical project boxes were used for the belt details. Grant Imahara of Mythbusters fame provided a digital "breathing" soundbox, as well as blinking electronics. The suits were made of fake leather (pleather?),as the budget would not allow anything higher quality.

To the best of our knowledge, the costumes all made their way back to the archives and are occasionally still used, though many fan-built suits today are better, in my opinion. Some details and accessories of the costumes were lost (or stolen), but I think everything was accounted for at one time or another. One Vader and two troopers were destroyed in a car accident in Mexico--nobody was wearing them, as they were in a van in their crates when the vehicle rolled over. That suit was returned to the ranch for inspection and replacement, though it was never recreated.

Hope that answers your questions,

--Don Bies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:45 am 
Random avatar

WoW, thats an interessting story. 18 (!!!) suits. Never thought there were so many of them.....and all came back.Thanks for sharing these info :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:53 am 

Great to get such info from "the horses mouth", doesn't get better than that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next