It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:37 am 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
I like HDPE, but not all helmets in ANH were made of HDPE. Using ABS is just as accurate as using HDPE.

The current consensus is that only the Hero helmets were ABS, so doing a stunt in ABS - since no ABS stunt helmets have been located in spite of AA claiming he made some - would be prop-accurately wrong, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:46 pm 

IIRC AA said he made a half dozen HDPE stunt helmets and then moved onto using ABS but we know that there are more than that many HDPE helmets still in existance, couple that with no ABS stunts ever turning up and it sounds like another one of AA's tales.
Surely if any stunt helmets were going to be aquired by people after production they would have snagged a nice white ABS helmet rather than some crappily painted HDPE one ?

Anyway back on topic what's the consensus on colour then grey/green or beige ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm 

I have to agree guys. AA made a lot of mistakes and I wont voluneteer just why he made them - but he clearly made a lot!

However all the Stunts were HDPE and all the Hero's were ABS.

As far as what colour the hdpe was, having handles a great many I'd say "Khaki" in the English dictionary, ie. a dull army green type colour.

Here's some pics of a number of original helmets Ive had my hands on to show the colour. Note that for the pic in the bottom right my colour balance was way off.

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:57 pm 
Random avatar

Okay, in all those pictures I see grey and I see green, no brown. The fact that all those pictures vary in hue saturation from light green to dark green etc, or light grey says that the atmospheric lighting when those pictures were taken are playing tricks with the camera, or the camera was not set (white balanced) properly. The amount of green in the grey base colour varies from picture to picture. The top far right picture is the closest to what I saw on a real helmet at the Sci-Fi museum but still not quite the same. If you added a small amout of green to the top middle pic then that would be almost exactly what I remember seeing.

If you ever have a choice always shoot a subject in natural light, you will get a more accurate hue and tone reading on the colour of a subject. And if you are shooting with a digital camera make sure your white balance is properly set.

After doing WWII military modelling for years and looking through all my model paints, all the khaki colours are a brown/ green colour with brown being the predominant hue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:14 am 
Random avatar
There were two different colors used for the film helmets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:18 am 
Random avatar

Which two colours were used, Gino?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:38 am 
Random avatar
One was a lighter khaki-ish green, and the other was a darker khaki-ish green. On the original set for stun helmet, the cap was formed out of the lighter colored stuff while the face was formed out of the darker stuff.
Not all of the helmets followed this pattern though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:11 pm 
Random avatar
I'd say the colour in the pics Jez has posted was beige-grey. The colour can look quite different in pics but that colour does look like beige-grey to me.

I believe Matt has shown pics of one of the original sandtrooper helmets that was pulled in grey HDPE and had a smooth cap so using beige, grey or beige grey should be OK if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:38 pm 

So are the bump caps due to the material used and part of the material itself, or were the bumps basically paint that didn't quite bond too well to the material and gathered into drops?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:00 pm 
Random avatar

troopermaster wrote:
I'd say the colour in the pics Jez has posted was beige-grey. The colour can look quite different in pics but that colour does look like beige-grey to me.

I believe Matt has shown pics of one of the original sandtrooper helmets that was pulled in grey HDPE and had a smooth cap so using beige, grey or beige grey should be OK if you ask me.

The original I saw was Grey/ Green. Perhaps there were more colours used than we think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:09 pm 

Hot pink!!! :ac6

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:06 pm 
Random avatar
zenwalker wrote:
Perhaps there were more colours used than we think.

Absolutely.

Just because the majority of the helmets seem to be beige/khaki doesn't mean that every helmet 'must' be the same. I would say that AA used whatever he had at the time and would not have given much thought about using other coloured plastic as they were all going to be painted white anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

CSMacLaren wrote:
So are the bump caps due to the material used and part of the material itself, or were the bumps basically paint that didn't quite bond too well to the material and gathered into drops?

Haven't you asked this question many times and already gotten your answer?

On the originals the bumps were caused by dirt or excess material on the molds when the forming was done, leaving impressions in the surface from inside out on some of them, and also paint drips on the outside.

The fan-mades only has the bumps from the original forming - none of the paint drips - as the molds were made from the inside of the helmet. You have to recreate the paint drips yourself.

So... to sum it up.

Original: dirt on molds and paint drips causing the bumpy look.

Bumpy fan-made: only the dirt bumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:40 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Haven't you asked this question many times and already gotten your answer?

You young 'uns have to have some patience with old farts like us who sniffed too much paint as kids before we knew there were such things as carbon filter masks! :hehe-err

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:39 pm 
Random avatar
That is not the reason for the texture/bumps on the back/cap.