It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:25 pm 

Thanks everyone!

So today I went and enhanced the curvature a bit more with heat, and flattened out the front fold/spine a little. It's general shape is pretty much the same, but it's just to maximize the comfort.

Here's a comp of yesterday's progress with a Tantive IV scene:

I'm not sure how accurate this comp is. My instinct is that Prowse's chest is actually thicker.

However, I'm trying to craft an "everyman" armor that works with us folks who don't have that 50" chest.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:30 pm 

And here's the result of today's tweaks. This is probably the third round of tweaks.

It may be ready for all the beveled areas now. We'll see!

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

The Tantive picture has Vader closer to the camera... look at the proportions of the helmet compared to your picture's helmet.

Could you please post a frontal picture of your armor with the new tweaks... there's something wrong with the transition of the two black center bars, nest to the grey middle strip, to the curvature of the rest of the armor. If you look at pictures of the original - then only the grey center strip is somewhat horizontal at the bottom, though, with a slight, slight curve... the two black bars at either side are straight, but angled slightly upwards, so they blend in better with the curve of the armor, if you know what I mean. This gives a much more fluid and connected line on the armor from one corner and all the way across the bottom lip to the opposite corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:37 pm 

Actually, that was a very far shot. This was the one where Vader walks down a corridor in the distance, and Leia peeks around the corner, seeing him walk past the door while she is trying to avoid capture. It was a wide angle shot. Oh yes, and the nature of film cameras is that they do add width.

I know the black bars around the neck are wider than the screen-used, but I'm keeping my neck opening narrow for now.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:56 pm 

Hey Mac, done any more work on this lately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 am 
Random avatar

Trapezius! The trapezium is a bone in the hand, the trapezius is the muscle on your back/shoulders. Sorry, it was niggling away at me.

That said, the armor looks good for styrene. I think Brian was right about maybe sclupting it in clay. Will you be overlaying clay once you have the styrene base squared away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:22 am 

Everything ok Mac? Have not seen any progress on your projects for some time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:23 am 

Day job, Bubba. More on the armor later....

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:29 pm 
Random avatar

Can't wait to see more of this thread. I'll be watching this very closely. Oh and if you are ever lacking time to work on projects like this...just try avoiding sleep. :slp You'd be amazing what you can get done. :eek

Hobie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:35 pm 
Random avatar

Mac, You have a lot of talent and I can't wait to see how this comes out.

chris

Post subject: Re: Scratchbuilding ANH Armor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 pm 

Can you believe it's been over three years? Recent events have brought me back to this armor.

I want to avoid making definitive statements in terms of what is going to happen with this project. I find that a certain fluidity is important, because ideas and options sometimes come about as a result of the creative process. :wink:

Years back, I was enamored with a vendor armor (Karline-2000) that give me a great fit. I'm size 40-42", and having dealt with oversized armor, the armor was something else. However, Karline-2000 ended up dropping off the map after he was exposed for taking a lot of fan money and never delivering product - only a series of excuses. It turned out he was a recaster as well. The inherent weakness of the Karline armor was that if you looked at the armor from the side (while wearing it) the armor may have been a good fit for size 40" but the helmet made my chest look very thin.

(Above: note that, depending on Prowse's posture, his chest is deep. With armor, his side profile looks like his chest is at least as deep as the dome of the helmet. The helmet's "depth" will depend also on how it's positioned. So this is all very approximate.)

In the above photo, you can see how deep his chest is. Many interpret 50" to be a very wide chest, but that was not the case (just simply study the silhouette of his shoulder profile). So per the question earlier on how the chest box will work with this armor, let me say this:

If we are, say, size 40" and we're trying to fit ourselves in armor made for someone with a very deep chest, even if we were to wear the screen-used armor, it would not look right on us. For instance, as a body builder, Prowse had developed trapezius (shoulder to neck) muscles. I'm sure that played a part in how the armor and facemask fits on him so naturally, whereas we'd look like a child in adult-sized armor.

The armor seems to fit Prowse like a second skin. The chestbox laid on his sternum area and stuck out a teensy bit past the bottom rim of the armor. However, if we are small, we are going to have a hard time approximating that look.

If you want to simulate Prowse's chest depth, you'll have to wear some kind of padded vest to pad your front and back so that the chest box will lay properly in relation to the armor. The padding can be thick from chest to sternum, and then thin out towards the waist so that you can still rely on your own waistline for putting the belt on. Just an idea for you costumers.

(Above: Just a guess as to how Prose may have looked inside the suit. This incorrectly combines two photos taken at two distances. But we can imagine, can't we?)

So that being said, I can't guarantee this will fit everyone the way they want it to fit. Some people will want to fit to the armor, while others will want the armor to fit them.

I can't predict a person's silhouette as defined by their own trapezium muscles. I understand, for example, that the Rubie's plastic armor is supposedly based off the screen-used, but that armor fits me terribly and gives me a lot of neck and shoulder strain. My piece of styrene fits very comfortably and I don't know why. I had even used the Rubie's strap system to make the Rubie's shoulder profile more pronounced, but it still stressed by neck and shoulders.

I also can't predict how heavy a person's cape will be. Some heavier capes will naturally pull against the armor and want to choke the wearer to death.

With this scratchbuilt armor, I'm trying to add more material around the neck to make up for the fact that many of us do not have Prowse's neck thickness nor his trapezium muscle development. So for any kind of costuming, please don't make this out to be a "Holy Grail" solution. You may have to adapt a cape by using a much, much lighter grade of wool. If you're doing ANH, you may be able to forego the satin lining as you almost never saw it on the screenshots. If that prevents you being 501st-approved, then ask them to disprove the FX stormtroopers because, clearly, they exhibit structural features that didn't exist on any of the screenused stormtroopers! :toothy

The styrene is currently a work in progress. I have since cut the armor down on the front to mimic the screen armor more. I'm leaving the excess material in the rear for now. The fit is still fine. The mannequin is a size 40-42". Because I've cut the armor down, the black guide lines are no longer valid.

Now currently the armor is 40-42" as a first pass. When the armor is done, it's conceivable we can do runs to support deeper chests. Also, depending on the thickness of the clay I apply and any gradient surfaces I sculpt, the styrene you see may not necessarily be the foundational surface, so I'm saying this preemptively to assuage the concerns of those who are particularly observant. In other words, this armor will have screen accurate features, but the sculpt will be its own "animal".

The following photos are taken yesterday. Note the mannequin does not benefit from the padding afforded by a leather suit. The first shot is using two dried kitchen sponges under the front chestplate. Also note that the neckline to bottom edge length is longer than the screen used. The shape is not final.

In the next photo, I've removed the sponges. The armor wears flatter.

What I'm probably going to do is a happy medium between the two. Having a leather suit may achieve that naturally. With some sheet foam for chest and sternum/stomach padding, the chestbox would have a platform to lay against.

I will endeavor to make the armor appear deeper as I sculpt the middle portions.

- Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:48 am 

I like it! Any more progress?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:10 pm 

Nt just yet... will start working on it after I get Quasimodo and Goldie out the door. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 pm 

Holy Cow, I am really loving that armor man................I cannot wait to see how this ends! At this rate it will give the screen armor a run for it's money!!! :)