It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: My SL ANH w DVV Amror and TM JRX ESB w GH Master Armor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:29 pm 

Granted I don't know the state of the art of 3d modeling. But I do know that when taking something "analog" such a cast from a mold or a painted brush stroke and rendering it in digital form there is quantizing (like mp3 sample rate) where at the fine grained level some subtlety and detail can be lost. Question is whether it's perceptible. Sounds like a good topic for another thread!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 pm 

thank you so much guys for all the great comments. :cheers

belloq wrote:
Wonderful sets. Congrats. Are you able to share the source of the ANH lenses?

thank you man.
well the source of the ANH lenses are from a ski goggle replacement lens i found on ebay believe it or not. dcarty made them out of that. :) did an incredible i might add.
it took a few tries on my end to try and find the correct size and color. the first try it said it was an amber colored lens but it was far too orange. i then purchased another set of old vintage goggles but the lens material was far too small and the color was too light. and i think the material was far too thin as well.
i finally found a replacement lens that was fairly large and the right thickness and color. the color which was listed said brown. i really wish i could think of the name exactly. but i want to say SOL was the name of the lenses. as you can see they were perfect for what i needed them for. i think they worked and look perfect for the SL.

i hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm 

0.005 millimeter accuracy. That's pretty amazing; digitization is unlikely to be perceptible. I stand corrected!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:42 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
Granted I don't know the state of the art of 3d modeling. But I do know that when taking something "analog" such a cast from a mold or a painted brush stroke and rendering it in digital form there is quantizing (like mp3 sample rate) where at the fine grained level some subtlety and detail can be lost. Question is whether it's perceptible. Sounds like a good topic for another thread!

yes you are right. there is some detail that is lost . but its on a minor scale. not enough to notice only unless you were looking for it or could compare it to the digital sculpt itself. but then thats why when digitally sculpting the 3D render, the artists exaggerates the finer details. so when printing in hi-res that detail comes through. and it all depends on the digital printer that is being used. if your printing on a machine that is only capable of 100 microns. then yeah the detail will def get lost. but if you print on a machine that can print at 10 microns or lower. then the finer minor details will show up. .
and yeah. def a good topic for another thread.. :thumbsup :lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:42 pm 

banthapoodoo wrote:
.005 millimeter accuracy. That's pretty amazing; digitization is unlikely to be perceptible. I stand corrected!

there you have it. see.. :lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:25 am 

What is the DVV armor? Just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:41 pm 

Great idea for the lenses. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

banthapoodoo wrote:

We can easily take that discussion to my 3D scan thread in the WIP section. But scanning and 3D modeling and printing is currently equal to molding a real life item, down to the millimeter, maybe even able to retain more detail even than a molding, depending on the moldmaking material used. Absolutely no difference, except the cost. You should just work with the original file instead of downsizing the pixels + printing in a high res or lower resolution - that's what's causing the detail loss: you need to go highest resolution, not jut high resolution. But that costs money.

DynamicMenace wrote:
belloq wrote:

thank you man.
well the source of the ANH lenses are from a ski goggle replacement lens i found on ebay believe it or not. dcarty made them out of that. :) did an incredible i might add.
it took a few tries on my end to try and find the correct size and color. the first try it said it was an amber colored lens but it was far too orange. i then purchased another set of old vintage goggles but the lens material was far too small and the color was too light. and i think the material was far too thin as well.
i finally found a replacement lens that was fairly large and the right thickness and color. the color which was listed said brown. i really wish i could think of the name exactly. but i want to say SOL was the name of the lenses. as you can see they were perfect for what i needed them for. i think they worked and look perfect for the SL.
i hope this helps.

Well, wasn't it Brian Muir who suggested the lenses may have been made from old ski goggles? You may actually have found a match, or near exact. Please keep us posted if you find them again.

darthjones wrote:

I assume that is the armor that darthvaderv was offering. That's the only nick that springs to mind from that abbreviation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 am 

No Humor Man wrote:
DynamicMenace wrote:
belloq wrote:

thank you man.
i hope this helps.

Well, wasn't it Brian Muir who suggested the lenses may have been made from old ski goggles? You may actually have found a match, or near exact. Please keep us posted if you find them again.

darthjones wrote:

I assume that is the armor that darthvaderv was offering. That's the only nick that springs to mind from that abbreviation.

No Humor man is correct darthjones. it is what darthvaderv was offering. probably one of the finest if not thee finest set of armor that was available. but dont quote me on that. im still a noob. lol
but to me. its far superior to the GH Master set i have. there are details on it that i notice that are on the production set of armor.

Carsten, as far as the lens material. im not sure if Brian said that or not. you would know best my friend.. but it would make sense if he had.
the first couple of lenses i purchased were vintage. but the colors were waay off. so i ended up going with a snowboard replacement lens.
so i looked back at my purchase history on ebay and i found them. and the name of the listing was "New Replacement Sol X-400 Lens For Smith Phenom Turbo Spherical Goggles". and the color was BROWN, thats what the lister had named the color. not sure if thats the right name of it or not. if it was. it could have changed for that was back in 2012 ad i believe it was old stock that i purchased. . but it was clear that its an amber brown. because they def have that dark reddish orange brownish color to them. and these were the thick already formed spherical lens. you can find them on ebay or even online. but when searching make sure they are just one color and make sure they arent mirrored. the ones i have were just a plain color. and ask for in hand pics and if they can with a white background so you can determine color.
and you want to make sure they are the spherical lens and not the flat thin flimsy lens. dcarty said when he went to cut them out and put them into the eye openings of the helmet he didn't need to do much to them as far as curving them. they almost fit perfectly he said. he only had to heat them up a little bit to get them to fit just right. pretty cool...
below is an example of the type of lens i purchased. they looked very similar to this..even the color. granted these shots were taken out side and it all boils down to the lighting, angle ,camera and lens. but these are pretty darn close. and in parts of the images they look to be the same color when doubling on themselves. mine were darker when seen inside.
are they an exact match to the color of the lenses weve seen in ANH? hard telling. but i would say that the ones i have are pretty darn near close. or as close as ill ever get..or ever find.

good luck and hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-DRAGON-ROG ... 41737e229f

my lens's color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:56 am 

Thanks for the armor info! As soon as I saw it here I noticed little details. The thing that has always gotten me is how different sets of armor seem to have warped at some point. The GT is an extreme example but what I like about the GH is that, when you look from the front, the shoulders are supposed to slope WAY downward from the neck down to the shoulder.

The GH armor seems to have retained this very well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:57 pm 

Wow, very nice pieces, are you going the all the way and building two life size Vaders ? , if you are I don't think you could be off to a better start.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm 

darthjones wrote:
Thanks for the armor info! As soon as I saw it here I noticed little details. The thing that has always gotten me is how different sets of armor seem to have warped at some point. The GT is an extreme example but what I like about the GH is that, when you look from the front, the shoulders are supposed to slope WAY downward from the neck down to the shoulder.

The GH armor seems to have retained this very well.

no problem.
yeah the GH did. but the DVV has that same slope. and all the dteails that the ANH production set of armor had. you can see it in the screen shots on the Tantive V.

al may wrote:
Wow, very nice pieces, are you going the all the way and building two life size Vaders ? , if you are I don't think you could be off to a better start.

thank you man.
at one time i planed on going all the way. i had all the pieces minus the leather suit boots and the helmet and shoulder/chest armor. but that was before Phil Snavely ripped me off.
so he kind of killed my dream so to speak. so i ended up selling everything i had. but i was determined to find the holy grails of Vader props. or at least the holy grails that were obtainable.. :lol

and i wanted to start with the helmets and armor. and low and behold. i was lucky enough to find the grails i have been looking for. i may venture into the life size full figure one day. but for now. these will remain strictly busts for display only.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:04 pm 

Good old Phil, I think most of us have had a bum deal with this guy, looks as though you found the good guys in the end, your ANH looks like it just came from the film set, very very cool , thanks for posting :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 pm 

just wanted to shout out to JKNO Sergiu, Thank you for pointing me in the right direction on where to find such grails.
i asked him on another forum where i could find the most film accurate helemts available. and he directed me to this forum.

so thank you Sergiu. i added you to my initial post. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:58 pm 

I always thought the armour Paul was offering was the Elstree? I could be wrong but I have two sets..... One fibreglass Which I love and one in a weird matt kind of non poisonous fibreglass Which isn't my bag. lot's of air bubbles.........

Profile E-mail