It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 am

All times are UTC


THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: MR SE Symmetrical (idealized) Stormtrooper "Stunt"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:41 pm
Posts: 3022
Location: The Netherlands
Amy just posted this on RS:

Stormtrooper Helmet – Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (Stunt)

This helmet was originally designed as an exclusive for a European retailer.
Unfortunately, they reduced the quantity which did not cover the cost of development and tooling.
Therefore, we are making the balance available to our Retailers.

This helmet is significantly different from the Limited Edition Stormtrooper helmet.


Special Edition Helmet:

Suggested Retail Price: $119
Version: "Stunt"
Edition Size: Open Edition
Geometry: Symmetrical (idealized)
Lens: Flat-Green
Material: Injection molded ABS
Interior: PU Foam Pad on Crown
Plaque: No
Stand: No


And................no pics available...


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:23 pm
Posts: 1197
Location: Turkey
Interesting...

Didn't they make a symmetrical prototype a year or two ago? Definitely a fan of the price they're looking at.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:51 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:52 pm
Posts: 379
Yawn....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:04 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:03 pm
Posts: 266
Location: Canaduh!
They should just start shipping the 1st helmet which was supposed to ship "Late Summer" according to their website before offering further pre-orders! :angry4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:23 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:03 pm
Posts: 657
Location: UK
I get the impression this is going to be in the "Rubies" territory - still for £60/$120 retail I can understand that.

Thats what Don Post used to charge for their standard vinyl helmets

Cheers

Jez


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:57 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Essex UK
Christ they're certainly trying to squeeze everything they can out of the license before it ends aren't they


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 196
Has anyone seen this lid? They say injected ABS for this thing, which for what it is is great, however if it ends up being vinyl, ala the Rubies...we have a melter on our hands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:58 am
Posts: 10575
Location: Denmark
CGClone wrote:
Has anyone seen this lid? They say injected ABS for this thing, which for what it is is great, however if it ends up being vinyl, ala the Rubies...we have a melter on our hands.

Injection molded ABS is what the Rubies Supreme Vader is made of, so it sounds like it's going to be quite sturdy and tough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Essex UK
you wouldn't use vinyl for injection moulding,but you have a point i'm wondering why they would invest money in what would be a short run in tooling for injection moulding which is far more expensive than rotocast vinyl would be.
They wouldn't be able to produce injection moulded trooper helmets either only with a very complicated set of tooling which would require some major precision engineering and they would still have seam lines.
The best option would be 2 to 4 parts so assembly would be needed,the advantage would be that parts could be produced that don't need trimming like with vacuum forming.
I wont be surprised to see either a rotocast helmet or none at all though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 196
Defstartrooper wrote:
you wouldn't use vinyl for injection moulding,but you have a point i'm wondering why they would invest money in what would be a short run in tooling for injection moulding which is far more expensive than rotocast vinyl would be.
They wouldn't be able to produce injection moulded trooper helmets either only with a very complicated set of tooling which would require some major precision engineering and they would still have seam lines.
The best option would be 2 to 4 parts so assembly would be needed,the advantage would be that parts could be produced that don't need trimming like with vacuum forming.
I wont be surprised to see either a rotocast helmet or none at all though.


I would just love to see one, see if its worth its salt in the $100 market, thats all.

I understand the details of the molding process, my father has been in the plastic industry for over 35 years, 33 in injection molding & engineering, so I hear about it all the time :lol

They could have taken 1 to 3 different ways to make the tooling (not fact, just convo points) that I figure on to be cost effective, but depending on their overseas partners in the tooling and manufacturing is going to dictate where they reached the price point of $110 and the need to make more.

Duh, right?

I only bring it up in that they made have made nicer injection molds and run a better injection process with a higher grade of abs (or not) and the need to make more to recoup their costs may be to our benefit.

Granted, it is what it is...just want to see one, and some details if possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 am 
Random avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:55 am
Posts: 65
Well when MR propsed doing a Stormtrooper helmet a while back, they said that they were going to do a symertical CE in 4 piece plastic. So maybe this helmet is the CE renamed.

It would be cool if it actually was a 4 piece helmet. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if the end product will look anything like an ANH helmet or maybe a ROTJ or SE?

Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:09 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 196
Anakin Starkiller wrote:
Well when MR propsed doing a Stormtrooper helmet a while back, they said that they were going to do a symertical CE in 4 piece plastic. So maybe this helmet is the CE renamed.

It would be cool if it actually was a 4 piece helmet. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if the end product will look anything like an ANH helmet or maybe a ROTJ or SE?

Dan


They had that Fiberglass TK lid at C3 in one form...the released one was different. Just would love to see pics of this beast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:55 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:58 am
Posts: 10575
Location: Denmark
First glimpse. Symmetrical TK HelmetShudders... :eek


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:55 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:03 pm
Posts: 266
Location: Canaduh!
Must be a stock photo....that looks like their scaled replica.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 196
Sure thats not the Rubies?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buy web visitors
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums