It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Lifesize Vader display
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 am 

Attachment:
DJ figure.jpg
Hey, Gang!

I hardly ever post here but here is my figure. I've been improving it on and off here and there for 25 years but it now has the following:

1. ESB helmet I made from a DJ cast
2. Mike Warren (Vadermonkey on 501SL) ESB armor made from "DJ" armor
3. Custom ROTJ box I made 20 dang years ago
4. Custom belt boxes I made 20 years ago but with Marco Ent. buckle
5. Someone's cod ???
6. GT gloves (Galaxy Trading)
7. KevVader cape
8. GT shins (not visible)
9. Body suit made by a local shop to Prowse measurements

It is important to note that I am going for a "coolest" Vader. It never made sense to me to adhere to a particular movie since they were always going for the best they could achieve within time and budget constraints. So this is idealized but not sanitized if that makes sense...

And oh - the mannequin is just 2x4's and foam I put together and stacked with foam before carving down with use of an electric knife. Very inexpensive though it took a couple weeks. The Prowse body measurements are out here and it is all you need. (and 3M glue lol)

Attachment:
DJ figure.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Lifesize Vader display
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:08 am 

That actually looks nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:54 am 

Hope you don't mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 am 

Hey, Chef Hawk that looks great!!!!

I should take some better photos.

Right before taking this I dropped the dang face and lost one of the front tusks. Ugh. It is already on the road to repair but one of them big reminders that this is a load of plastic that does nothing except look nice lol.

But that is a great photo, Chef!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:00 am 

And thanks, 45 - the whole goal I think, if really pressed, was to make it look functional.

There is always such a let down in person when we see props but that this might look like you could turn it on maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Looks really great. Sorry about the damage.

A suggestion. Ruffle up the leather shirt a little to give it some folds, which will make it look more alive and not just like a costume on a mannequin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm 

Really nice setup. That homemade mannequin presents well!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 pm 

Absolutely beautifull :cheers :thumbsup Love how the DJ helm looks in ESB form

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:03 pm 

Thanks again, gang!

As for the leather suit, I did scrunch it up a bit but it is flattening out. In a sense, I might have had it made "too well" at the time. This was 1995ish and I was kind of figuring out things as I went along. It probably has a touch more batting in it than others but, with any trooping time, it should get screwed up enough. Here is a 6'5" guy wearing it for a reference shoot for artwork I did and you can see it collapsing a bit on someone smaller.

I thought too that I might carve down the mannequin slightly here and there.

Part of the issue could also be that it is line quilted top to bottom - I did not do sections of fabric so anyone wearing it might not last super long lol!!

Attachment:
modelV copy 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:08 pm 

Darth Africanus wrote:

I was so curious to see what the actual changes in the helmet were that I decided to do the conversion myself. And apart from just enlarging the chin triangle, the face is virtually untouched.

But the "curve" on the bottom of the dome is what got sanded/ ground down so as to be basically flat on a table top. It is the same length in the middle of the back and at the bottom front corners but almost 3/4 of an inch came off the sides.

And also the issue of accuracy - if you convert an ANH era head you get a first rate ESB head imo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 pm 

darthjones wrote:
Darth Africanus wrote:

I was so curious to see what the actual changes in the helmet were that I decided to do the conversion myself. And apart from just enlarging the chin triangle, the face is virtually untouched.

But the "curve" on the bottom of the dome is what got sanded/ ground down so as to be basically flat on a table top. It is the same length in the middle of the back and at the bottom front corners but almost 3/4 of an inch came off the sides.

And also the issue of accuracy - if you convert an ANH era head you get a first rate ESB head imo.
Looks really great it's nice to see actuall conversions from the ANH to the other films helms

How did you do the widows peak the pointed end of the ANH helmet to get it to the ESB flat centre strip with the indentation? Just sand it back or dit you cut of the pointed end

And would love to know is the dome also just the ANH dome with the bottom sanded like you stated. Anything else done did you perhaps lessen the flare of the dome some how. It seems like you also sanded the dome skirt abit thinner to the ESB with would love to know

But it really looks amazing I love seeing vader perfection from all the fine folk on the den

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:38 am 

Darth Africanus wrote:
darthjones wrote:
Darth Africanus wrote:

Looks really great it's nice to see actuall conversions from the ANH to the other films helms

How did you do the widows peak the pointed end of the ANH helmet to get it to the ESB flat centre strip with the indentation? Just sand it back or dit you cut of the pointed end

And would love to know is the dome also just the ANH dome with the bottom sanded like you stated. Anything else done did you perhaps lessen the flare of the dome some how. It seems like you also sanded the dome skirt abit thinner to the ESB with would love to know

But it really looks amazing I love seeing vader perfection from all the fine folk on the den

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

In my opinion you may be over thinking it a bit. There are a number of changes from film to film but we have to remember that there is no "reason" behind any of it other than, "Hmm, I think I can improve that a bit!" And that is the approach I took.

The front edge being "thinner" is yes, them guys sanding it flat (at an inward angle to some degree) along the edge. And when I did it, it became ESB very quickly. I used a file on the front face and a file again on the tiny "return" face before smoothing it all down a bit.

On the widow's peak I just sort of sanded it and "lost" the pointiness of the ANH peak pretty quick. It's not straightened off like ROTJ but just sort of "lost" - and the depression that is left is just a softening of that "V" depression we see in ANH.

All in all, if you just sand down an ANH helmet you pretty much "get" an ESB. And watching it transform almost naturally was a cool experience. That way all the waviness is still in there (if you think of Vader's first shot in ESB with all the wandering reflections in the helmet dome).

I could have taken the front edge lip a little further. I could also have flattened out the center strip more like I saw on the Paul Allen stunt helmet dome.

But I wanted to be conservative.

If ever I cast it I might carry it over into ROTJ.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pm 

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk[/quote]

In my opinion you may be over thinking it a bit. There are a number of changes from film to film but we have to remember that there is no "reason" behind any of it other than, "Hmm, I think I can improve that a bit!" And that is the approach I took.

The front edge being "thinner" is yes, them guys sanding it flat (at an inward angle to some degree) along the edge. And when I did it, it became ESB very quickly. I used a file on the front face and a file again on the tiny "return" face before smoothing it all down a bit.

On the widow's peak I just sort of sanded it and "lost" the pointiness of the ANH peak pretty quick. It's not straightened off like ROTJ but just sort of "lost" - and the depression that is left is just a softening of that "V" depression we see in ANH.

All in all, if you just sand down an ANH helmet you pretty much "get" an ESB. And watching it transform almost naturally was a cool experience. That way all the waviness is still in there (if you think of Vader's first shot in ESB with all the wandering reflections in the helmet dome).

I could have taken the front edge lip a little further. I could also have flattened out the center strip more like I saw on the Paul Allen stunt helmet dome.

But I wanted to be conservative.

If ever I cast it I might carry it over into ROTJ.

:)[/quote]

Thank you DJ for the answer much appreciated, always though as much was done as you say was the most likely easiest
way they made the helmet ANH to ESB

and it shows perfectly in your work :cheers

Would love to see the ROTJ version of it ,my favorite helm :cheers :thumbsup
can't wait to see more keep up the excellent work

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:32 pm 

darthjones wrote:
And thanks, 45 - the whole goal I think, if really pressed, was to make it look functional.

There is always such a let down in person when we see props but that this might look like you could turn it on maybe...

Right? So many people come up to me wanting to press the buttons on my chest box. I have to tell them its all for looks.

Intact there is nothing practical about Vader's costume. Its all for aesthetic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 pm 

vader45 wrote:
darthjones wrote:

Right? So many people come up to me wanting to press the buttons on my chest box. I have to tell them its all for looks.

Intact there is nothing practical about Vader's costume. Its all for aesthetic.

In fan extrapolation, yes, right? But I always would have loved (as would all of us) more pointed dialogue on the matter. Imagine if something like this exchange happened in some early story after ROTS:

…and he watched as Vader turned with a bow and left the emperor’s audience, a full detail of troopers in tow, rushing to keep up.
“You look puzzled, my friend,” said Palpatine.
“Not puzzled, my lord. I mean…where did you find him? Vader, where is he from?”
Palpatine did not answer immediately but moved to return to his desk.
“I made him,” said Palpatine, a wry smile.
“You made him?”
Palpatine said nothing and moved to sit.
“Well, what system did you use…I mean, what powers it?”
Palpatine, relaxing in his char, looked back to the astonished ambassador with a slow growl:
“…what powers it? The body of a dead Jedi.”