It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Jesmonite V GRP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm 

I've been doing some research into alternative materials to use instead of Fiber Glass/Resin and I've come across some stuff called Jesmonite (http://www.jesmonite.co.uk/). As far as I can tell, it's a water based, solvent-free alternative. Now my experience is that these types of product aren't usually as good as their solvent based cousins. I was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff out and if so, would you recommend it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jesmonite V GRP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:10 pm 

I'll be testing some of this out in the next few days. I've just made a Milliput press mold of the nose bridge area and intend to line it with a 1mm thick layer of Jesmonite, mixed at its recomended ratio, in order to see how well it works at the thinest level I will be using it. Seems that the Rubies nose bridge area, including the indentations of where the eyebrows and forehead ridge meet, are approximately the right shape and proportions but 8-10mm too high. So if I cast it, reshape and lower it, it should sit more or less in the right place and, if I'm right, the new piece will sit directly on top of the original nose bridge giving the right level of protrusion. Then I can re-work/fill-out the new ridges with milliput following the lines that are already there and extend the indentations to a better width. This way I'll know how well the Milliput and Jesmonite work together without wasting too much material.

Results shall be posted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jesmonite V GRP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi Wavey,

I shall be most interested to see your results. In the end I decided to get hold of some Jesmonite and give it a go. I'm in the middle of redoing my Vader helmet mould (first one was too thin). I'm going to have a g at making the helmet out of Jesmonite and see if this stuff is any cop. I really hope it works out - it'll solve so many problems about casting during the winter months.
Like you, I'll post pics/info when I have some results.

jon

Profile E-mail