It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Is GINOS Yoda Photoshoped?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 pm 

Trap Joes AKA Jorg in the RPF brought up a very interesting point today that I've always suspected which is has Gino Photoshoped this image of his Yoda display?

]Image

Me being a ex graphic designer would say yes and also the fact that Gino works in a publishing house suggests he, as a graphic designer himself would be very inclined to us digital technology to enhance. He also used some interesting language in discribing his Yoda the other day.... i.e "There are other maker's of yoda pieces, but no one has parts to sell quite like this one unfortunately. It's kind of unique."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is GINOS Yoda Photoshoped?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 am 
Random avatar

Looks like it to me. I always look at the edges, and the edges around the ears and shoulders look a little too crisp to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 am 

The right ear<from the viewers perspective> looks particularly suspect to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:06 pm 

Well on thinking not only the bad in this guy, may he have done this while add the puppet to the background?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:45 am 

Turrican wrote:
Well on thinking not only the bad in this guy, may he have done this while add the puppet to the background?

Not according to GINO on the rpf.
GINO wrote:
Thanks!
Actually the shots with the woods behind him are not photoshopped backgrounds, I actually took him to an outside location for those shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 am 

There does look like there is photoshop work done to the original image of Gino's yoda on the log, but after examining the reflections in the eye, I would conclude that it is possible he shot it outside as the lighting seems to be more akin to having a horizon component, whereas the indoor shot has a window component to the reflection.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 am 

Quote:
I would conclude that it is possible he shot it outside

as gary posted above it was a outside photo shoot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:25 pm 

I know Gino had planned to talk it outdoors to try and photograph it somewhere in some wooded area. What I would conclude is he's done that but enhanced the image (blurred the background and darkened it a bit) using all the photoshop tricks at his disposal. The object would have been to generally darken down a bright sunny location.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:54 pm 

geordietrooper wrote:
Quote:

I read Gino's original post, and I also read Gary's post. The question is whether Gino did in fact do that. If you take whatever he says at face value then that is certainly your prerogative.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm 

cyberman wrote:
I know Gino had planned to talk it outdoors to try and photograph it somewhere in some wooded area. What I would conclude is he's done that but enhanced the image (blurred the background and darkened it a bit) using all the photoshop tricks at his disposal. The object would have been to generally darken down a bright sunny location.

The most obvious PS work is down around the base of the log area with some hazing affect but it is pretty much moot at this point. Still fun to try and figure out if it was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's an old trick to blur out the background and anything of less importance to really make the important part of a photo to really pop. Loads of people do that. Definitely not uncommon. Even manipulating the prop digitally in photoshop to hide or enhance artifacts is done by many.

Why this is worth of discussion somewhat escapes me, as it is not something done solely by the person highlighted. Is there a point to singling him out?

Mate, don't be like what I had become... let it go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm 

Aperture has a lot to do with focal distance and depth of field. It is very easy to blur background simply using the aperture as tool do do so. I've taken many pics to create just that and the subject almost pops out at you even when not using photoshop at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:46 am 

SithLord wrote:
geordietrooper wrote:
Quote:

I read Gino's original post, and I also read Gary's post. The question is whether Gino did in fact do that. If you take whatever he says at face value then that is certainly your prerogative.

I will just point out i take nothing GINO says at face value the guy twists so much he would put Chubby Checker to shame, the only reason i quoted his post was as a reply to the previous post where Turrican asked if it was possible only the background was PS.

Thomas regarding your earlier post with regards the indoor vs outdoor horizon vs window reflection in the eye is it possible what you state as an horizon reflection could just be the same window with a blind partially pulled down ?
I'm no photo expert heck i'm not even an avid amateur but that struck me from a purely logical sense to be more probable than an horizon.
My reason for this is if we assume you are correct and the rectangular light reflection is a window why would the "window" reflection be identical in size to the one you called an horizon ? surely an horizon would be entirely different wouldn't it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 am 

Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble working out what the problem here is.

Any photgrapher will work on a shot later on. Even in the pre-digital days, I used to have to airbrush negatives and transparencies to improve the image as well as using various tricks in the darkroom when printing (even simple dodging and burning is manipulation of the image).

Certainly these Yoda photos have been maniplulated post shoot: The levels have been given more punch and the colour slightly 'dialled up' for starters - I suspect the original would have looked a bit flat. But surely this is all to be expected. When you look at the site that these pic are being presented in, I'd be amazed (and frankly sceptical) if I was told that all the shots are presented the way they came out of the camera. Like the guy or loath him; you have to admit that it's a very polished, professional looking site.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

If there had been anything added or manipulated on the prop itself, altered to make it different from the actual sculpt and more like the original, fudging with it in that respect with the intent to fool, I could see a point to arguing about someone photoshopping something... but simple image enhancing to make one thing pop and irrelevant stuff fade or blur is as old as photography... not really new or anything to cry foul about.