It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ironguts sports Vader for first time
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:40 am 

Sorry I've been delinquent in posting for awhile. I've been mad busy on the personal side of things looking for work (and actually just landed a new gig last week).

This is the very first time (except for some dry run fittings) I've sported Vader, I realize it ain't perfect and there is likely a lot of folks will point out that I need to do/take care of -- which by the way I'm glad to hear/happily will accept any comments/criticism (be gentle tho - remember - 1st time! LOL).

I do have foam I've put in under the shoulders and chest to bring it up closer to my neck (yah I know the chest armor still looks a might low (altho I forgot to get my wife's help in securing the cape collar under my helm so that might be a factor)... not sure what to do about that hmm... advice appreciated).

I have yet to put the saber hook on (it's coming Kent honest just needed to get the fit on first! LOL).

Honestly looks better than I thought (or maybe I just have really low standards as I'm just excited my work-in-progress has at least/at last gotten this far anyways).

Anywho... thanks to a whole whack of folks on the forum for their help. Without you folks who helped with parts, pushes, answers etc... I wouldn't be as far along as this.

Altho I'm sporting a beautiful SPFX in the photos I will likely troop in another bucket (got a 'beaut I'm hoping to have ready by this Fall at the latest)... I'm a bit too worried about the SPFX as far as trooping goes - and the helmet displays so nice. Well... I've got time to decide (really torn) but will likely depend on how spectacular (or not) the trooping ANH helm turns out (given the source I'm sure it will be amazing tho).

So again, comments, criticisms, etc all welcome. I know there's work to be done. :)

Hope you enjoy the pics (apology for the lack of quantity and quality - my wife had not used the camera for some time and was having trouble).

Cheers,
- 'guts

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ironguts sports Vader for first time
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:23 am 

Nothing like dressing like the big guy for the first time! Looks good..I would pad the shoulder bells out a bit...and put the belt buckle on the right way :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 am 

Actually its not a bad first attempt...well done. A little foam under the shoulder blade area of the armor would raise it a bit and maybe try to match the chestbox finish to the armor would be my .02 :thumbsup

Are those pen lines on your suit? If so, you can remove them with Fieblings (sp?) Leather wax. Just wax on wax off. :toothy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Instead of padding you could always go ultra serious with the weightlifting! :cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:52 am 

Hey thanks much guys. (Especially for being gentle LOL).

Yah I already have padding at the top of the shoulders and at the back (but could put more on the back for sure). That will be my next step to bring the chest up more.

I have padding in the bells right now but wasn't sure where to pad next. (Anyone got any inside shots of their chest and shoulders showing padding placement I could look at for ref? TYVM).

Oops yah I know the buckle. Weirdly looking at ref shots on my computer I thought I had it backwards after attaching and "fixed" it. Guess I had it right the first time (doh)!

Hmmm didn't see any pen lines but good advice and good to know in case someone gives me the angry end of an autograph pen at some event I end up at LOL. I'l check the suit over in case I missed something tho thanks!

Cheers!
- 'guts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:33 pm 

I'm a bit worried about the chest armor as I've added more padding now to bring the neck up. The chest armor at the shoulders isn't really curling around to the back, it's stays almost flat - like it didn't get molded properly or didn't cure properly - I'm worried the padding may create "hunch back" vader because of it bringing my shoulders up higher as well as the neck. Not sure what would be best to deal with this.

I have some ESB chest armor and it is much lighter and fits better, but is ESB.

I'm wondering (big question): is it possible to use a heat gun and bend the shoulders back so they fit better (hopefully bringing the neck up too).... is it possible to heat thick (this thing is heavy) fiberglass and get that sucker to bend?

Here's a shot of what I mean (note how wonky the armor curves around the shoulder to the back:

I've got tons of padding in now (about 3 1/2" at the back of the shoulders which graduates to 1" near the colarbone area). Not sure more foam will help without looking really bad.

So should I start looking for new chest armor or try taking a heat gun to this sucker or what?
Advice sought on this pls (and thanks!).

- 'guts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:59 pm 

Looks great buddy.

Must be daunting to do a full size Vader, and a money pit!

More pictures as you go along would be great.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Actually... I'm no costumer, but to me it looks like you are padding it wrong. You are lifting it at the back and at the shoulders, making the front more vertical. You have to think of the shape of a body-builder and how his back and chest looks. Personally I would try removing the padding at the shoulders and add it at the front, middle down, so it sits at more of an angle on your body, but rests on your shoulders, rather than with padding in-between.

You need to pad your front to get the body-builder physique, as you look rather skinny in the outfit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm 

Thanks TMG, here's another WIP... advice taken, I've removed some of the padding from the back of the shoulders and added more to the chest area ("fake pecs" if you will) to raise the chest and help with the angle. Much appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 am 

As for heat shaping it, it can be done but it is super hard to do with a heat gun. If you had access to a parts washer (automotive shop) you could put it in for about 5-10 seconds, bend it to shape (pull the back in opening together) and then while holding it submerge it in cold water.

As for foam, I am going by this photo. If the foam just above and forward of your shoulder was gone, the armor wouldnt sit so flat across the chest and the foam in the rear would pull it up and back...you just have to play with it and see what you think works the best for your frame/build.

What I'm calling pen lines might be the way the black thread is showing up in the pics (flash) but alot of leathersmiths will use a ball point pen to draw the lines before sewing over them when working with black leather. Some people leave them as they arent that noticeable unless photographed or examined under bright light.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm 

Thanks much!

Advice taken, here's some new WIP shots.
Please let me know if you think this is looking/fitting better (I think it is). It would be a huge help if I could see some shots of members with their chest armor on over their civvies so I can see how far up the neck the chest armor should be raised (base of neck, just under adam's apple etc). Thanks much

Thanks again for all the help guys!
- 'guts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

How Kermit Eller wore the original during the tours:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:07 pm 
Random avatar

Instead of padding the armor you should think about padding underneath the suit to give you a more muscular appearance.

chris