It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: How did ORIGINAL ESB helmets connect to dome?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:00 pm 

I'm presuming ALL the original ESB helmets had domes which connected with face section using "O" connectors, like this?

Anyone know different?

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm 

I wish I knew Jez, I've been looking for the mounting ring source for so long and I still haven't found it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

That's correct Jez apart from the "Hoth" helmet which they were quick to correct. I dont think any other mount other then the ESB hat mount and the O "dome puck" was used for Empire.

If anyone claims otherwise, they will have to show proof as I have some rare ref material and have never seen any different :cool:

The other mount on darthblades site is incorrect stating that there were 2 differnt types of fixing mech's for ESB...not true.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:01 pm 
Random avatar
Yes, all the film used ESB helmets were made using the ring. The ROTJ helmets were all re-furbished ESB helmets.
The ring is a seperate part attached to the faceplate on each helmet.
The don post style attachment is a post production method.

Here are some pics of my ESB face with correct ring and 3 fasteners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the info guys

That suggests to me that this cant be original (suggested to me its an original ESB dome)

views?

No front on pic as yet unfortunately

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:48 pm 

Very nice ESB Gino, when are you gonna show off the finished helmet and mask combination? Very much looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Jez you are incorrect. That IS an original cast off original dome with 100% certainty I say that. It is the TM dome.

Remember that was one of the possible earlier versions of the ESB and for it's purpose if it was in the movie was not used as a hero or stunt dome with the usual fixing mechs.

I have examined the TM in great depth so that is accurate info.

Every angle, every imperfection, is more or less present on that dome as it is in the movie in terms of looks, (not scuff marks etc..which occured over 28 years)...except the dome ring inside.

I have spent a number of years studying the ESB dome in particular so I say that with confidence.

Quite surprised you dont know this information when all the threads came out last November. :wink: :lol ..Regards..

Last edited by Darthvaderv on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 pm 
Random avatar
Just FYI, all the film masks start out the same. They all have the cast in tabs and small chin vent. The chin vent is arbitrarily cut out on each helmet as well as the placement of the ring. Some have the tabs completely removed, others only partially. Both are correct as I've seen multiple of each version.

I know of several other helmets in private collectors hands that were made post production of the 3 films that were cast from lfl molds. And, they have the ring placed on them (although finished differently than the film used versions).
It is totally possible that the TM helmet was made post production just as these other helmets were. I don't believe that the TM was actually made for ESB like proported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I pretty much agree with most of that...apart from the last bit in particular.

As the ESB Dome is a dead giveaway..So the Dome is not ROTJ and the Dome is not ANH..that leaves the obvious...ESB...in which it is an ESB dome..

Anyway..I think I will keep my Mod hat on and disengage from this conversation unfortunately....

Cheers Gino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:17 pm 
Random avatar
Despite what people have thought over the years, there's no difference between ESB and ROTJ helmets aside from their refurbished paint job, mouth grills, lenses, and interior foam padding.
The ROTJ helmets were repainted ESB helmets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:21 pm 

darthvaderv wrote:
Jez you are incorrect. That IS an original dome with 100% certainty I say that. It is the TM dome.

Remember that was one of the possible earlier versions of the ESB and for it's purpose if it was in the movie was not used as a hero or stunt dome with the usual fixing mechs.

I have examined the TM in great depth so that is accurate info.

Every angle, every inperfection, everything is present on that dome as it is in the movie in terms of looks, (not scuff marks etc..which occured over 28 years)...except the dome ring inside.

I have spent a number of years studying the ESB dome in particular so I say that with confidence.

Quite surprised you dont know this information when all the threads came out last November. :wink: :lol ..Regards..

Paul

I'm not aware of those posts as tbh it was not a subject I find all that really interesting.

My understanding before this thread was that if it were original it would have a mounting ring. Having posted this thread no one seemed to suggest anything different hence my post that the lack of connector ring "suggests to me" that its not original.

By original I mean it was made FOR the movie in 1978. Whether it was used or not doesnt actually matter so long as it was made and finished at the same time from the same moulds by the same people. If this is an original ESB dome I'm just confused as to why its missing a dome yet otherwise is completely finished.

I have to say I'm very sceptical of any prop proporting to be original if its missing a key attribute we know is found on an original. Not discounting this but imo it raises a question mark.

I was asked by an independant source for my opinion on it

Cheers

Jez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

well lets agree to disagree...on that point as you posted that in a very old RPF tread that was unsupported. Although I agree that most of the ESB dome is present in ROTJ apart from some ittle indifferences and the main indifference such as the indentation /thumb indent at the beginning of the peak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Jez,

forgive me if I came across a certain way..I just assumed you would know the history of this helmet.

The answer to your question is yes.it likely original just by it's age and the paint looks spot on for the most part....A copy of this helmet just went for $4,550 on ebay.

Perhaps TM himself will see this thread and chime in for more clarity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 pm 
Random avatar
I really don't care if my opinions are supported. People can go on being wrong all they want. I'm just saying for those who want to know the facts.

Also, a helmet made at the time of ESB from a LFL mold and a helmet made post ROTJ from a LFL mold would be indistinguishable in it's raw state. The only things that would authenticate it as being a screen used is in the finishing, and those details are not public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

GINO wrote:
I really don't care if my opinions are supported. People can go on being wrong all they want. I'm just saying for those who want to know the facts.

Also, a helmet made at the time of ESB from a LFL mold and a helmet made post ROTJ from a LFL mold would be indistinguishable in it's raw state. The only things that would authenticate it as being a screen used is in the finishing, and those details are not public.

I apprecaite what you are saying and I agree with part of what you say but I have never linked an ROTJ Dome as being an ESB with a glossier paint job. I am friends with people who have handled ROTJ screen used domes and I have pictures of them and the Jedi is not identical to the ESB minus the paint job.

If that makes me wrong... then so be it, but I have proof.. which, as I'm sure you understand I can not share either..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next