It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Hot Toys ANH Darth Vader review
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:41 am 
Site Admin

*All reviews are based on 5 stars. The review is brief in many respects so it’s readable and not over complicated with details. The review can also be based in relation to the category that the item falls under.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Packaging ****

The packaging lends itself to a simplicity, along with an elegant design. It’s a bit basic but it holds up well enough, with regards to the money spent. The image on the box depicts the Vader figure and not the movie version. The same can be said for the inner card sleeve, once again depicting the Hot toys Vader.

The item is well packaged inside. Take care though, as this isn’t one of those collectibles from Hot Toys that you can just simply put back into it’s box as new, if you remove Vader and the items contained. Once it’s opened, unless great care is taken, the packaging and set up become fiddly to maintain in it’s pristine original condition thanks to the sealed/taped packaging bags.

Sculpt/Outfit****1/2

This really is another great sculpt from Hot Toys, Especially for the mass market. The criteria is best covered in movie accuracy below. I have a few nit picks but overall the look of this ANH version of Vader is well done and the extras such as the additional hands, sound, interrogation droid, and light up feature all have a quality we have come to expect from a company at the cutting edge of high end designs.

Paint ****

As you would expect the paint is good. Some nice shades have been used. Nice to see Hot Toys set a high bench mark here. Gunmetal on the right places have been applied, where many companies give Vader an all black mask. I know that’s something of the past but the detail like the black tusk and even an attempt at a C-Scar and some light weathering on the face and neck are all positive additions, despite a lack of accuracy.
They haven’t quite got it right in terms of weathering, as the chestbox, the armour and belt boxes needed the a new hope beaten style but at least there is an effort made on the mask.

My main nit pick is with the shins. As we know these are meant to be gloss black that’s been weathered. Why matt black was used is a big oversight. They look new, as does the belt boxes and chestbox. Additionally the centre strip on the armour shouldn’t have a black strip. It’s meant to be beaten but not all black. Inconsistency, is frustrating on these small points and Hot Toys at the high end market should of spotted this, especially the shins.

ImageImageImageImage

Pose *****

The articulation deserves top marks. The interchangeable hands, 2 lightsabers, light up feature and extras all add to the realism.

One thing to bear in mind. This is a fussy figure. Do not remove it from the packaging and display on the stand and expect it to look good like the promotional images. In fact, at first, Vader minus his mask/dome, looks a bit bulky and baggy, a poor imitation of our promised product. Items like the belt boxes, belt, cod piece and robes can all slip out of position. Take time giving the figure some quality of set up. I spent 10 minutes but I could’ve been there for at least 45 minutes, getting the chestbox, cape, robes cod etc all in a more accurate position. You can see the belt on mine has slipped down and too close to the cod and the chestbox strap has moved out of position, for example.
One of belt boxes (right) will not move forward as well due to Velcro preventing it. You can spend time sorting this out but be careful you cause no damage. I just left it in the end and moved it as far as it would go naturally.
As mentioned put a bit of time into this figure and the rewards are greater.

Movie Accuracy ****

Starting with the dome. This is the a new hope version of Darth Vader. I think Hot Toys have done a good job on the centre strip, peak and dome cap. It’s not perfect, I could be a bit fussy over the strip or say the dome is a tad high etc but there is no mistaking the effort and I’m pleased they changed this from the promotional material.
The flange edges on the side are not as thick as they should be which is a frustration to a solid sculpt. The proportions, again, aren’t perfect but this is amongst the most accurate either on a figure or statue to date.

The face mask is well done. Not one aspect is highly accurate, from cheeks, nose, tusks etc but this does look like Vader should to a fan. In fairness, everything has been done to a high standard and the proportions are positive. A small point would be the lenses needed to be a bit lighter, they aren’t jet black but are still too dark and I would mark the only bigger flaw (along with the dome flange edge thickness) to lie with the mesh used in the mouth. A bit careless considering Hot Toys attention to detail with head/mask details. Overall though, this remains the strongest part of this collectible.

The cape chain is okay. It could be better. Now, as for the robes and cape, this is where I feel an error has been made. The cape is too light and too soft. I think Hot Toys could of tailored this better with a cape set that mimicked wool. So that it had some starch and a more ridged effect without it looking bulky. It’s simply limp and can pull the display easily out of position. With the other hindered piece-The armour, the two combined are adequate enough but if you are seeking greater accuracy the fold over the shoulders is annoying unless you spend a great deal of time with the set up. They haven’t tapered the armour at the back enough for the type of material they’ve used with the cape, it’s just a lumpy and hunched affair. If this wasn’t Hot Toys I’d give them a pass but a disappointment for me, the same with the robes.
As for the armour, it’s just poor, from a high end perspective. It’s not accurate enough in all areas.
The chestbox is clean, it’s sharp to a point but undersized for one, the rockers aren’t the best either.
The belt buckle and belt isn’t bad, and I do like the saber hook minus it needing to be moved inwards. The belt boxes are okay and I like a detail not normally seen like the side screws but why the inaccurate mesh and the depth of the boxes are too big. The knobs are too thick too. The lights, too small. The lamp, too flat. I do however like the way the belt can be removed, just like the original belt somewhat. Nothing is drastic but a bit more attention to detail needed.

The same story with the cod piece. Firstly it’s a bit oversized and while pulling the belt up and creating a distance does make the cod seem smaller the overall design isn’t as accurate as what I would’ve hoped for. It’s a bit of a generic cod to be honest. It’s not unique enough as it should be. The centre loop is a sloppy attempt.

The shins are positive enough but painted as a brand new shin in matt black. It just looks wrong and the shins can be a bit stubborn and bag out thanks to the baggy and oversized leg areas of the boots. The bottom part of the boot is positive, once again a bit careless why Vader has thick, square outsole edging, where as this was a thin sole that barely protruded.
This brings me to the gloves, which are okay. They need to be interchangeable and they are a bit baggy as is the suit on the arm area. The rest of the suit is good overall and luckily fitted enough in most areas.

The interchangeable hands are all well done, the lightsabers are also to a high standard. It’s also nice to see a saber blade that’s not so red. Vader’s saber is more pink than red even if fan boys don’t want to admit that.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Display Status**** 1/2

This is a nice large enough display piece and I would say it comfortably would exceed most Vader statues/collectibles in terms of ANH accuracy. It’s an expensive item and Hot Toys are amongst the leaders when it comes down to collectibles.

Value ***1/2

I paid £335 on eBay and I’ve seen some fetch more. It’s highly likely to rise in value as many Hot Toys items generally do. I think it’s a good £100 plus more compared to many new-ish releases. It’s a bit excessive but if you’re a Vader fan and collector I doubt you’d be disappointed with the value for money versus future appreciation.

Overall ****1/2

My review seems harsh in areas but SW fans are getting fussy these days, especially for expensive figures such as this.

The quality and effort over time has seen many improvements but did Hot Toys hit the mark with the legendary Darth Vader based on his first appearance in 1977?

The answer is yes. For the mass market this is an excellent product. The price is high but most Hot Toys items are, and the fan base expects it. It’s whether value for money is warranted? The answer is yes again. You get enough product for the retail value here and with likely rising appreciation that’s an added bonus, provided the item is kept in excellent shape.

That aside, what is wrong with this product or how could it be bettered? That’s easy, I know what I would do if I had two.
Re sculpt that armour. Make the chestbox bigger, make the suit more taught in the arms and on the boots, remembering to paint those shins the right colour and this will make an instantly better Vader.

Additionally for more accuracy , Give it a weathered painted look on the chestbox, armour/bells and boots. Have less depth to the belt boxes and improve on details and then pull the boxes closer to the belt. Bend the cod in slightly , re sculpt the inner loop, change the material on the cape/robes and add some material to the dome flange edges, maybe even change the lense colour to be lighter and sort small things like the mesh out on the face/belt boxes.

Those changes would see a far superior Vader, One that was genuinely worthy of a 5 star rating.

Hot Toys do amazing products. Vader just isn’t their finest creation, unfortunately, and you feel a bit deflated by an oversight of attention to detail. I just wish artistic freedom was checked with someone who had a bit of Vader expertise when passing off the product. However, Vader is a difficult character to get right and Hot Toys haven’t failed because this to date, is the best ANH Darth Vader money can buy at this time on the mass market and overall it would be an easy recommendation.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject: Re: Hot Toys ANH Darth Vader review
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:39 pm 
Random avatar

Got this one myself, along with the Sandtrooper from HT. Awesome piece. I can see the pieces that could be more accurate, and your review is very fair. The piece, though not perfect, is a great collectible and I'm glad I picked it up on preorder from them. I broke my belt the first day I had it trying to situate it, and had to get a replacement from them. took about two weeks so the customer service aspect was nice too.
My biggest gripe with this piece is how you have to access the batteries inside the figure to have the lights and breathing/talking work. I just don't trust myself removing and installing the suit for that effect.

Only figures I've seen worth the money are the ones from Hot Toys. Sideshow I suppose gets to put their name on it for the marketing effort? Their standard SS toys, while not terrible, are just not close enough to spend this kind of money on. If I'm going to hear it from my wife for owning a Star Wars "Barbie", then it's got to be a gem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:23 am 

Very cool review. I passed on this Vader waiting for the ESB or ROTJ one from Hot Toys but got the Interrogator Droid from someone :)

As for sideshow figures, I'd advise you to get their Probe Droid, it is insanely good. Cool figures are also the Snowtrooper (my only gripe is with the eyes too small) and TIE Pilot. The upcoming AT-AT Driver will be cool too. And I forgot about the Scout speederbike, a tad too small, but otherwise superb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:45 pm 

Great review and pics. Certainly the most accurate ANH figure I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys :cheers

Post subject: Hot Toys ANH Darth Vader review
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:41 pm 

I got the ANH Vader and twin-set stormtroopers from Hot Toys to display in my bookshelf. I thought that'd be it, but now I'm itching for that snowtrooper too. Damn! :-D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:43 pm 

Great review, btw!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

:cheers