It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Hey Vendors: Would you consider using Polyurethane?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:39 am 

After working with "Darth Ugly", I found that urethane is very nice to work with. Very consistent material. Conversely, Homer1138's thin fiberglass (random swirly pattern) is a bit hard and brittle but workable. Golden Armor's resin is very chalky and gives me pause.

Urethane can potentially have good detail depending on the molding process, but I've not seen detailed urethane to make that assessment just yet. I love working with it as a material. I've not done too much grinding except for lense removal, but if you think about it, if you hate the pokey rash you get from FG glass, it beats the HECK out of FG. Consider also that once FG is in your lungs, it's there supposedly for life and can cause cancer. Not saying that Urethane won't, but my guess is that if there is a chance an alternative material should be considered, then Urethane is a good choice.

Also, the mentality that just because the originals were FG then in order to be screen accurate you must use FG is just bad thinking. Urethane formulation may (or may not) have improved over the years, and people tend to use what's familiar to them in the casting industry.

Now it may be possible that FG is stiffer, and if that's the case then that is a very valid reason. I think that the Darth Ugly is reasonably stiff, and I'm not out to bend it until the paint breaks.

Also, FG will break; FG is brittle in certain cases. Urethane may be a little softer and therefore tougher but can be repaired just as easily using Aquamend.

Someone should research the health issues related to urethane casting but it's something that should be carefully considered. Imagine using heat instead of bondo to reshape a neck flare. Or if someone wants a screen accurate helmet but wants to make the neck wider or more narrow based on his own neck width!

It's also less work, theoretically.

Wanna give it a try? Might lower your production cost too and help you with your health!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Interesting proposition.

Is Polyurethane the same as Polyurethane Resin, or are they two separate materials.

I know that Polyurethane Resin creates a fantastic and smooth surface finish and are - I think - what SgtFangs helmets are made in. I could be wrong though... the old memory is not working so well these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:46 pm 

I honestly don't know. You can tell from the interior photos of Darth Ugly that it's incredibly smooth.

Is there any fiberglass in SgtFang's helmets? Or was urethane used alone?

Well, TAP Plastics sells resin urethane.

http://www.artmolds.com/category76.cfm

I may have to try this stuff some time.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:43 pm 

OMFG! I CAN POST!....Look out world I'm back.

Hey CS.... not sure either on weather they are the same or not, but it is rrrreal nice to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:43 pm 

I am not 100% sure but I believe that all of Sarge's casts are slush molded with resin only. I dont know if he is using a polyester resin or a urethane resin though. He is getting really incredible casts with great detail.