It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: ESB Darth Vader - Kotobukiya Cloud City Ver...
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Darth Vader – Cloud City Version

This is the third piece in Kotobukiya’s ARTFX+ Statue collection. This pre-painted model features two interchangeable right arms, and a very cool secret glimpse under the helmet. Not unlike the previously released Stormtroopers and Boba Fett ARTFX+ model kits, Vader comes with a black base featuring hidden magnets to allow for countless display positioning options. In addition, this model kit also comes with an additional stand that looks like the floor of the Bespin Carbon Freeze Facility. This second stand relies on foot pegs to hold both Vader and an additional figure. All the figures released so far have compatible foot peg holes. The Darth Vader – Cloud City Version ARTFX+ model kit, which stands 8 inches tall (1/10th scale), is scheduled to ship in May of 2011.

*All reviews are based on 5 stars. The review is brief in many respects so it’s readable and not over complicated with details. The review can also be based in relation to the category that the item falls under.

Packaging ****
The packaging is a positive. It’s simplicity along with an elegant design is what makes this stand out. There isn’t that horrible see- through window which many of the previous kotobukiya models have displayed. It shows the product from a front view and at the sides of the box it displays each of Vaders side views which is nicely done. On the back it has the scene the sculpt was partially made for and all in all a nice description and back story to Vader. The box isn’t oversized either. Everything has been to a high standard. I would of personally liked to see more of the screen used ESB Vader on the box to have a bit of that nostalgic feeling but it’s really not a big deal and a nice use of dark colours.

Sculpt/Outfit ****
This really is a decent attempt for the Empire Vader. The criteria is best covered in movie accuracy below but overall, the pose, the way the cape and robes drape with a good enough likeness for this version of Vader, I’m impressed. The sculpt of the helmet, Especially the face really hinders what could have been something much better but the texture and a good enough quality to the sculpt is well done.

ImageImage

Paint ****
Some nice shades of matt, satin and gloss blacks. In areas the gloss is a little over done such as the gloves and belt and like some previouse companies I would’ve preferred to see these colours in satin and not gloss but overall a nice mix of colours so the detail and look isn’t lost with such a strong colour as sometimes black can all look much the same. The chest armour (minus the incorrect bell shade) is arguably the closet match seen to date for an ESB Vader Statue/Figure across the board. While other things such as the chestbox and belt boxes is all done to a good standard and close colour which many fail to pull off. Normally there is a lot of slop on these smaller statues but it outshines the majority on the market. The let down yet again is with the lack of two tone gunmetal and black on the face. Instead it gets the ROTS all black treatment which is a bit poor. Overall the paint scheme and colour applied is not perfect but certainly a strong point for this model.

Pose ****1/2
The pose is reminiscent of Vader’s iconic stance throughout the majority of Empire. It’s in proportion for the most part and the simple transfixed pose with the addition of the interchangeable left hand really does a good enough job. Rather than those sweeping motions and static capes that some Vader’s have been designed to create this Kotobukiya has a simplistic pose which is loosely based off both one of the infamous Topps promo cards and the carbon freeze scene is likely to appeal. The proportions are all strong. Apart from the helmet going over the cape and raising that portion up the body while not perfect is all a decent size. Vader could be bigger/broader but the statue is not that under-sized . One of my favourite poses to date, it’s very ESB.

ImageImageImageImage

Movie Accuracy ***1/2
Each review I’ve covered to date from the $1,000 items to the cheaper end really have little bearing on movie accuracy as we’ve seen. Kotobukiya have produced good results with this artfx series but there really isn’t any details for the hard core fans to rave about when you make comparisons to just how detailed Vader could be regarding accuracy but it‘s a step in the right direction. One of my biggest relief’s is to not see a cape chain for Empire Vader. While a cape chain/hook was used (mainly for the stunt scenes) it really isn’t associated with the “Hero” look of Vader as the chain is under the helmet. It’s a never ending frustration to constantly see the lack of care in attention to detail over quite an obvious point so this kit picks up a few extra points in my book. With the addition of the neck seal it almost counter acts one of the high points but these companies love to put that seal in. whether it be on an Attakus piece or something like this, It’s an unnecessary thing to add as the Hero Vader doesn’t have a neck seal even if it is quite cool that you can look up and see Anakin (teasingly) in the helmet. The dome is too pinched for Empire. It would make a pretty good ANH dome regarding the thinner crown/dome cap. As with most other Vader statues etc the strip is a little too thick and the look of the strip is better associated with ROTJ. The correct tilt, angle and positioning is also incorrect. The tilt is meant to leave a much smaller gap between the back of the dome and Vader’s cape but it‘s actually not drastic as the helmet sits over the cape exposing a greater lift on the statue. The flange lengths/widths and eyebrows are also wrong but to be fair as an overall it’s not the worst I’ve seen by a long shot. Just disappointing the sculptor couldn’t incorporate at least a thumb indent into that peak and make some subtle alterations to improve it. Onto the face now. This is where the model kit really suffers. The pictures shown actually do it justice to an extent but in reality the eyes, nose, cheeks, mouth, tusks and chin vent are all incorrect not to mention the neck. There really isn’t one detail that has been done to an accurate standard and while this is a £40 model this really is a poor effort. I compared the face with a small 11 year old Hasbro Vader and the face looked so much better on that. Most Vader faces can beat this one. The nose, cheeks and mouth really are off and amongst the worst I’ve seen for some time. The proportions are way off the mark and this adds to that skewed look. Swiftly moving on to better things…The rest of the body holds up really well. To the point it is good enough to compete with the expensive Vader variants on many level’s if not better them. The armour is actually pretty good. It lacks some attention to detail and it’s got it’s fair share of poor areas but overall it’s better than what most other companies have aimed for. It’s a little flimsy but thanks to the colour and a sharp enough sculpt in areas adding to a decent attempt at the armours curvature it’s good, not great but a high point. A point of frustration with the ANH colour bells but as that colour very briefly featured in Empire it’s not a massive deal but a little careless how most companies always get the all black colour correct regarding this detail. The chestbox is ok too. Pity the actual box shape is a bit poor and It’s not really any stretch to see the quality and details are lacking but at least they did a reasonable job with a half attempt to at least capture the greeblies with an overall strong colour scheme of the box. The suit is good but It’s not really accurate regardless but where as previous companies have paid more attention to the ribbing and spacing Kotobukiya have slipped a bit on this one but by no means drastically, a decent enough attempt and nice to see some inconsistent ribbing ala ESB, it would‘ve been easy for the sculptor to just add some texture to give it more of a wrinkled look so that’s a shame . The gloves are done to a good standard, they have flaws but they aren’t too bad, again that over glossy look is not needed but it breaks the suit up, maybe in a harsh way but most use the same paint scheme. The robes and cape are also strong enough. We’ve seen a few times how robes and capes can hinder a nice statue but on this one enough care has been done to replicate that infamous pose. It is quite plastic looking but most companies do go down this route with statues and I actually like it for the most part...Now, after reviewing 2 upside down buckles from sideshow dioramas it’s nice to see a buckle the correct way up. It’s an ok buckle. The slots could be much better, especially the last one but it’s ok. As for the belt it’s a welcomed relief to see the inner groves that Kotobukiya seem to get right with their previous bigger ESB/ROTJ version. Yet again too heavy with the gloss paint application though. The belt boxes while too far apart and too small are also decent enough. It’s a shame the knobs are too big and wide because this is a good example of an ESB belt but overall. it is well done for this size model. The cod is also very nice, just the right texturing. Not movie accurate but a great attempt nonetheless and a convincing one at that. The shins are to a good standard. The boots lack the details of the stitch lines and the thick sole and slighly higher heel add to a small disappointment. So many companies have been strong in this area and similar to the face it’s sloppy of Kotobukiya. As for the Lightsaber Hilt This is in my opinion one of the best. It’s a fraction undersized but that’s really nitpicking as overall the attention to detail is very good. A very nice touch. Pity the black saber hook featured but again it’s a small point. Despite all these flaws. the body of this Vader is one of my favourites.

ImageImage

Display Status ***3/4 With Fett ****
The black bases that these kit’s come with are magnetic and they work very well. You do have to be a bit careful that they don’t topple over if you are moving them around while on the base as the magnets aren’t overly strong but if the display is stagnet there isn’t a problem. Vader comes with 2 bases. One black and the other a section of the carbon Freeze to accommodate Boba Fett. This base is on a peg system and is actually not all that great but the 2 figures side by side look very good even if either Fett or Vader become either over or undersized when next to each other. The difference isn’t major though. Vader looks good by himself and as part of the set up with Fett. The kit is good enough to come off as a small statue and not a plastic figure even though that’s really what it is. Especially from a distance Vader looks good even in the most sophisticated of prop rooms as it's subtle. The display in my opinion has more quality to it with Vader alone on the black stand,thanks to the overall quality and pose of the model.

Value *****
This model kit is terrific value. From the box down to the interchangeable hand, the 2 different bases and Vader standing at 8 inches tall makes the overall kit value for money. If you get the Boba Fett to complement Vader it can start getting a little pricy but each piece is affordable. In the UK it’s RRP is £44.99 but on the internet you can usually get it for around £35-40.

Overall ***3/4
I’ve been waiting for this kit since I saw the prototype at Celebration 5. I went up to the Kotobukiya stand and happily said I would take one to be told it wasn’t for sale until next year. That was 9 months ago so it’s been a long wait. Back then I liked the grey prototype as it captured the ESB likeness well enough. It does have several flaws. Overall, not one aspect is correct for ESB Vader pertaining to prop accuracy but then it’s no surprise as statues and figures etc always fall short of expectation. Despite it’s short comings and the disappointment of the face, the body of this statue is amongst the best seen to date. It really is a niece piece standing at a reasonably good height with some little added extras, not to mention value for money and well presented with the packaging. This is a must have for Empire Vader fans as it's one of the best versions of ESB Vader . A pity 5 stars couldn’t be given due to the downfall of the face being so skewed and comic book looking but It’s highly recommended and with some alterations this really could be an excellent model and in most areas outshines the plastic looking bigger versions from Kotobukiya as well as besting many other Vader statues in general.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post subject: Re: ESB Darth Vader - Kotobukiya Cloud City Ver...May 2011
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:54 am 

Huh... looks fabulous, except for the head. Why can they NEVER get the heads right?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 pm 

Yeah, the head looks like it's an ROTS head on the ESB body. Thanks for the review Paul. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

The face is just slightly out of scale with the rest of the helmet and neck.

But overall I like this figure and have it sitting here on my desk.