It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:47 am

All times are UTC


THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:56 am
Posts: 238
Hi guys!

Just wanted to share my Vader display with you all but more importantly the helmet. Its a Don Post CA helmet that I modified as much as possible to get as much accuracy as possible out of it. Hope you guys enjoy it and if you have any questions or opinions feel free to let me know.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 am
Posts: 715
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Hi Juan! Great job on the DPCA :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing your next step with the new helmet/armor!

Cheers,

Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:54 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:26 pm
Posts: 644
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Very nice! I have long owned an original DPCA with a very warped dome. It's long overdue that I take a stab at fixing that as best I can, likely with a heat gun as the primary weapon of choice. I can set the temperature on it and have it blow high/low speeds. How did you reshape yours? And if you care to disclose, what paint brand and colors did you use and what kind of surface prep to the vinyl did you perform, if any, before painting?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:56 am
Posts: 238
dcarty wrote:
Hi Juan! Great job on the DPCA :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing your next step with the new helmet/armor!

Cheers,

Dave



Thanks Dave!! I cant wait to get started!

BTW- Is this the same Dave that was selling the incredibly re-done DP Deluxe Vader??


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 am
Posts: 715
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
juan7fernandez wrote:
dcarty wrote:
Hi Juan! Great job on the DPCA :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing your next step with the new helmet/armor!

Cheers,

Dave



Thanks Dave!! I cant wait to get started!

BTW- Is this the same Dave that was selling the incredibly re-done DP Deluxe Vader??


Hi Juan, I don't know about incredible but I appreciate the compliment and yes I reworked the DPD, lol. It hasn't sold yet for whatever reason. Part of me is glad I suppose. As much as I could use the money I love coming in to work every day and seeing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:56 am
Posts: 238
banthapoodoo wrote:
Very nice! I have long owned an original DPCA with a very warped dome. It's long overdue that I take a stab at fixing that as best I can, likely with a heat gun as the primary weapon of choice. I can set the temperature on it and have it blow high/low speeds. How did you reshape yours? And if you care to disclose, what paint brand and colors did you use and what kind of surface prep to the vinyl did you perform, if any, before painting?



Thanks for the kind words! TO be honest I've gotten supper lucky and the two DPCA helmets I own were not warped at all. The re-shaping I did with this one had more to do with the T track mounting system on the face mask. I got the idea from a helmet that was sold not too long ago over at the RPF ( I forget the members ID). The T track was cut and lowered by a lot and it gave the helmet a more screen accurate dome position. This mod was done just about a month ago and it's not really even finished. Its still pretty raw under that dome. The Helmet was painted ages ago when I first got it so I made the cuts carefully, not wanting to have to repaint the entire face mask. However its being held together by some epoxy putty I had left over. I'm planning on taking that epoxy off and giving it a nice fiberglass reinforcement and a nice patching of the seems on the cuts.

As for the paint, I know its automotive BMW paint but I cant remember the name of the color or the code number. Like I said this paint job was done when I first got it back in the mid 90's. I didnt do too much prep work on it other than a light sanding (very light). I didnt even prime it. I knew one of the flaws on this helmet was the softer edges and details so I didnt want to take any more details away by sanding too much or caking too many layers of paint, so I opted to just lightly sand it and go straight to painting. I did use a very thin clear coat at the end.

All in all I think this is a good example of the potential the DPCA vader helmet has and I would love to see other try it out or take it even further.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Don Post CA Vader heavily modified
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:56 am
Posts: 238
dcarty wrote:
juan7fernandez wrote:
dcarty wrote:
Hi Juan! Great job on the DPCA :thumbsup Looking forward to seeing your next step with the new helmet/armor!

Cheers,

Dave



Thanks Dave!! I cant wait to get started!

BTW- Is this the same Dave that was selling the incredibly re-done DP Deluxe Vader??


Hi Juan, I don't know about incredible but I appreciate the compliment and yes I reworked the DPD, lol. It hasn't sold yet for whatever reason. Part of me is glad I suppose. As much as I could use the money I love coming in to work every day and seeing it.



Oh Dave you have no idea how madly in love I am with your DPD vader. I look at the pictures at least once a day LOL. No but seriously I am still interested in buying it from you. I just ran in to a situation with a client who still owes me for work that I startted in January and has not come through. As soon as thats taken care of and if your DPD is still up for grabs, Its coming home to me. I am amazed that no one has ripped it off your hands.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Hosted by Freeforum.ca, get your free forum now! TOS | Support Forums | Report a violation
buy web visitors
MultiForums powered by echoPHP phpBB MultiForums