It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Darthvaderv ANH
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:27 am 

syllander wrote:
I'll always be an ESB guy, in for the long haul, but pics like this definitely show me that the ANH helmet was the baddest ass of them all. Just the level of detailing here really echoes the screen used prop. Great looking piece here Paul!

My thoughts exactly :salut

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 pm 

I was an ESB guy, now I'm legit split 50/50. There are scenes where ESB Vader looks insanely badass on screen, but most of that is the masterful lighting job by Irvin Kirshner and his set lighting crew. The TM ESB definitely captures that look. The other part that makes Vader badass in ESB is the audio quality of his voice. It's deeper, richer, fuller - definitely more threatening without having to resort to yelling at his troopers. ...and seeing the ESB helmet conjures up his voice in my head. Contrast that with the hollow recording of Vaders voice in ANH, sounds like they recorded the ANH voice in a tin shed vs. an acoustic sound studio of ESB.

I was no fan of the sterile idealized "smooth" ANH helmets I had seen around the net. Once I saw the details of these authentic cast ANH helmets/faceplates, I was sucked in. I had no idea there were ANH helmet casts out there that offered the level of details you can see on screen. Having spent the last several months researching and studying these authentic casts, like Darthvaderv's helmet, I have a whole new level of appreciation. :drool

syllander wrote:
I'll always be an ESB guy, in for the long haul, but pics like this definitely show me that the ANH helmet was the baddest ass of them all. Just the level of detailing here really echoes the screen used prop. Great looking piece here Paul!

Last edited by craigjohn on Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 pm 

craigjohn wrote:
I was an ESB guy, now I'm legit split 50/50. There are scenes where ESB Vader looks insanely badass on screen, but most of that is the masterful lighting job by Irvin Kirshner and his set lighting crew. The TM ESB definitely captures that look. The other part that makes Vader badass in ESB is the audio quality of voice. It's deeper, richer, fuller - definitely more threatening without having to yell at someone. ...and seeing the ESB helmet conjures up his voice in my head. Contrast that with the hollow recording of Vaders voice in ANH, sounds like they recorded the ANH voice in a tin shed vs. an acoustic sound studio.

I was no fan of the sterile idealized "smooth" ANH helmets I had seen around the net. Once I saw the details of these authentic cast ANH helmets/faceplates, I was sucked in. I had no idea there were ANH helmet casts out there that offered the level of details you can see on screen. Having spent the last several months researching and studying these authentic casts, like Darthvaderv's helmet, I have a whole new level of appreciation. :drool

syllander wrote:

Welcome to the club :cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 pm 
Random avatar

Craig John,
What are you planning to do to your cast? ESB, Anh or left in its raw state to appreciate the detail ?
Perhaps we should put this in a new thread outside Paul's awesome thread.

Absolutely astounding Paul. Considering your attention to detail, knowledge, perfectionism & lack of ego,It's a given that your displays are the best of the best. Great that you've post some pics for us to blow us away.

craigjohn wrote:
I was an ESB guy, now I'm legit split 50/50. There are scenes where ESB Vader looks insanely badass on screen, but most of that is the masterful lighting job by Irvin Kirshner and his set lighting crew. The TM ESB definitely captures that look. The other part that makes Vader badass in ESB is the audio quality of voice. It's deeper, richer, fuller - definitely more threatening without having to yell at someone. ...and seeing the ESB helmet conjures up his voice in my head. Contrast that with the hollow recording of Vaders voice in ANH, sounds like they recorded the ANH voice in a tin shed vs. an acoustic sound studio.

syllander wrote:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:50 pm 

To reproduce the ANH look you've got to start with a mask and dome accurately shaped. And ensure the appropriate surface details are there. And have the right paint colors. And blend and shade those colors correctly. And weather it appropriately. Vader should look scruffy and gruff like the Marlboro Man, not like he just stepped out of GQ Magazine.

For this display... check, check, check, check, check, AND check!

NAILED IT!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'll leave you with this last photo until I start nearing the finishing and will keep this thread updated. I don't have much time in the next few months but I hope to continue around October time. :cheers

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:35 pm 

Darthvaderv wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'll leave you with this last photo until I start nearing the finishing and will keep this thread updated. I don't have much time in the next few months but I hope to continue around Oktoberfest. :cheers

FIFY. :lol

...and with this photo - you're such a tease. :hehe-err

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:17 pm 

Outstanding display buddy. I can't wait to see it once it's finished. I eagerly await the unveiling of your ESB display which should easily be the best display ever. That is , of course, only if you finish it before you reach 85 :ac6. :hehe-err

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks my friend. Ha, cheeky as ever. :wink: Yep I'll try and get it all done.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure what happened to the last photo? Posted again just in case.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:17 pm 
Random avatar

Damn that's a beauty! Can't wait to get an ANH lid started up. That looks like a Darth Jones, but I suppose most of the lineage pieces all start to blur the line on which specific one it is...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks man. I agree. Anything that's similar from a good lineage can look similar, differences aside. There's the DJ, SL, ILM, EFX and the odd unknown couple. I haven't mentioned the Rick baker mold because of the EFX give or take.
It's a pretty good time because years ago there wasn't much for the community on offer.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:50 am 

That is beautiful, and I love black and white photography when showing Vader - gives it a nostalgic feel - like it's 1977 all over again. :)

I'm of the belief I missed the peak and all the excitement of Vader collection when the SL, DJ, VP, TD, and TM were all being discovered and uncovered. But I'm hoping we get a nice little uptick soon, as a few more of us newbs are looking at all of this with wide eyes and full of excitement. Hoping we can carry the torch and live up to the "Good Vader Collector Community Standards". ...The "GVCCS". :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:01 am 

craigjohn wrote:
That is beautiful, and I love black and white photography when showing Vader - gives it a nostalgic feel - like it's 1977 all over again. :)

I'm of the belief I missed the peak and all the excitement of Vader collection when the SL, DJ, VP, TD, and TM were all being discovered and uncovered. But I'm hoping we get a nice little uptick soon, as a few more of us newbs are looking at all of this with wide eyes and full of excitement. Hoping we can carry the torch and live up to the "Good Vader Collector Community Standards". ...The "GVCCS". :)

Perfectly stated! I'm a newbie as well and this community is great. The wealth of knowledge that is here is what has me stuck to these message boards for hours at a time. I also hope another something special pops up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the den. :cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next