It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Darth Times- Darth Vader
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:18 am 
Random avatar

Hey guys,

So I don't know how many guys knew this. But, I was the lucky guy who got Mac's old modified Rubies helmet. The one in this thread modification-of-a-rubies-supreme-helmets-facemask-vt346.html

Since receiving it a couple of months ago. I've done a little bit of clean up on the helmet, and have primed the face mask. It now looks like this.

So I've been debating with myself as to how to finish this helmet off. Since it is a special mask, I wanted to do something a little different with it, and in my wild crazy muzings I can up with the idea of paring this facemask with a beat up Portumac ROTS dome that Mac also gave me, and creating an OT/PT hybrid. I'm thinking of calling it the Dark Times Vader, and the idea is that the mask is something that might have existed in the 20 year gap between ROTS and ANH. Let me know what you guys think. I want this helmet to sort of bring together alot of the elements of different Vaders and to be a sort of EU interpretation of Darth Vader at the height of his power during the Jedi Purge. Here is a real rough mock up done at night with crap lighting

Any suggestions? Besides take better pictures :lol

Thanks for looking, and of course. Thank you Mac for your generous contribution. I really appreciate it.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Darth Times- Darth Vader
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:26 am 

Ani,

Wow, I had no idea that was formerly my Rubie's mask. You've really done it justice. What an awesome priming job! Had me staring at the images going, "I did that?!" The bridge of the nose, the cheeks, etc. all came out very nicely.

I'm unfamiliar with the Dark Times Vader. Have any pics?

One idea also is that you could conver the Porty dome into an OT. The mid strip is too wide, and it can be narrowed. The crown is to squarish but if you sand it and round it a bit, it could do you wonders. If you start sanding into the FG, then Aquamend could be your friend. Or bondo. Or regular resin (which is probably better). You could glass up the interior to give you a bit more meat.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:41 am 
Random avatar

Hey Mac,

You really did a great job on this guy. It's been a lot of fun to work on.

As to the Dark Times idea, There really isn't any specific picture I'm going off of, just the idea of a hybrib look. Something that bridges the gap between the old and new trilogy.

I figured that somewhere within 20 year Vader would have figured out that he was entirely incapable of turning his head because of his masks elongated neck, and started tinkering. :lol

I've thought about playing around with the Porty dome. but I think that before I did a full on OT conversion, I would see if I can make an interesting look out of a symertical dome. If not, I've always got the Rubies dome that I have been playing around with. :wink:

Thanks

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Admin

For some reason the pictures won't show for me. Makes me sad, as I wanna see what I'm missing... :sad5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:49 pm 

Here you go!

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Hey... now I see the original pictures. Thanks for the effort Mac.

Nice looking helmet... I see something wonky with the tusk tube ends and lower mouth, but that's minor and not something I would mess with if this was mine. Can't believe that's the Rubies mask... pretty radical. Paint it up and go all out on the weathering... that'd be sweet! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:16 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
Hey... now I see the original pictures. Thanks for the effort Mac.

Nice looking helmet... I see something wonky with the tusk tube ends and lower mouth, but that's minor and not something I would mess with if this was mine. Can't believe that's the Rubies mask... pretty radical. Paint it up and go all out on the weathering... that'd be sweet! :thumbsup

Yes. Back then I was a total newbie who hadn't developed an eye for this. What I did was in thickening the lower mouth wall, I extended the extra material out to the tubes. Back then, it was the easiest way to do this mod. I was adding material to the outside of the mouth wall. Now, with my current capabilities, I'd sculpt the inside and rebuild the teeth. More work, but better accuracy.

With this one, however, once you get some proper tusks, I doubt anyone would notice.

- Mac