It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Are scaled parts available for smaller Vaders?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:26 pm 
Random avatar

Hi all. New to the site and referred by a friend. Thanks for having me. I've toyed around with putting together a Vader suit for decades but never followed through due to my smaller size. I'm 5ft 9 inches and 155lb. Now with 3d modeling and tech advancing as quickly as it is I figured I'd revive an old dream and check to see what the options are now.

Does anyone know if there are vendors able to make 90% scaled helmet and armor. I have found someone for a scaled cod. The chest box could probably be 3d printed smaller. Any help is appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Are scaled parts available for smaller Vaders?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest to become Vader. (costume-wise, not literally) :)

For scaled armor parts the best route right now is pep-files that you print out and put together yourself and coat with resin, building up the layers and filing and sanding to shape. Printing is currently still too expensive, unless you have your own printer and make your own files or find free ones online.

Regarding 3D scans of screen used props or casts of props, they usually cost a lot to make and if you don't own the original piece you have to work out permissions with the owners regarding what you can use the scans for. Then comes printing, and as I said, if you want really good quality, it costs a lot of money. But, it can be done. I'm definitely looking into different options, but don't want to step on any licensees toes in case they have an interest in covering that market niche with scaled down versions of the full scale props.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:33 pm 
Random avatar

Hi all! Nice to see a newcomer... as I am one too! :wink:

I'll have to try and find where's an area to intriduce myself, hehe.

Well, getting into matter I am in a similar ship. I am 180cm (that's 5' 11" right?) so what suits me would roughly suit you. I think the better option is one that might trigger hearing a big (and justified) "Aaaaarghhh!". Well, actually you have two:
I heard Hayden Christensen had a scaled down Vader suit for him, much to my surprise he's just 1 cm taller than me, so... though I really doubt you can find casts of the particular prop, right?
Then the second option is the one that I am working on and is the main reason I finally decided to register after ears of having a look.
I plan to take a Hasbro mask ...
-Aaaaaahhhrggghhhhh!!!!!! :eek :eek (well I told you)
...and turn it into something minimally decent. I currently own a happily acquired Rubie's deluxe (they are really hard to find in Spain) and maybe some day I'll try one of those fantastic "accurasation" jobs I've seen here. But meanwhile I wanted something I might wear myself (even if I am so far away of having a full suit and probably never will).
The thing is that generally speaking, the Hasbro is basically 1/1,08 scaled, or 92,6% if you prefer. The big problem for the Hasbro and other cheap ones is as you well know, beyond unaccuracies and scale, the terribly small dome. Well, I'll try to develope this in my thread.
About chestbox etc, well, I don't think an 8% excess will look that flashy, let alone the belt boxes. Chest armor might probably be slightly chopped IMHO.
So the pivotal problem (OK, I invented hot water), is the mask and helmet.
Unless someone tells me a different story, I don't think anyone sells domes scaled to 92%
It might be an idea...
Cheers to all
JB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 am 
Random avatar

A very good questioner

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm 

Sith-Frog wrote:
Hi all! Nice to see a newcomer... as I am one too! :wink:
I heard Hayden Christensen had a scaled down Vader suit for him, much to my surprise he's just 1 cm taller than me, so... though I really doubt you can find casts of the particular prop, right?

Cheers to all
JB

The Revenge of the Sith Vader was not necessarily smaller by great measure than Original Trilogy props. When you place ROTS props side by side with OT props, they are within the same size range.

This might be an enjoyable watch for you - behind the scenes footage of the making of the ROTS Vader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_2nK5KUAo

This may also help:

Quote:
During the production of Revenge of the Sith, Christensen asked Lucas if a special Vader suit could be constructed to fit his own body, rather than have a different actor don one of the original sets of Vader armor worn by David Prowse.[18] Lucas agreed, and a suit was engineered to fit Christensen's frame, even including extensions to allow for the actor to attain Vader's 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) height. His voice as the "robotic" Vader, however, was dubbed over by James Earl Jones, who first made the voice famous in the original trilogy.[19]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayden_Christensen
Citation for Source [19]: "Hayden Christensen Talks About "Revenge of the Sith"". Movies About. Retrieved May 17, 2010.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 pm 

I haven't bought from this seller but they do have medium size armor and accessories for smaller Vaders.

http://thors-hobbies-and-costumes.ecrat ... =price_asc

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

That looks like Star Fortress pictures. Honestly, I would stay far away from them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

I'm test printing a scaled version - a 90 % version - of the symmetrical face mask just to see what my printer can do. So far the pieces have been difficult to get off the printer plate and have cracked, but I have some new printing material, so I may reprint those parts. Though, I'll probably cut the helmet model differently, to cut down on the individual parts I need to glue together, but that will also increase printing time pr part.

Maybe I should do the normal asymmetrical helmet instead as I have both face mask and dome ready for that in ESB style, whereas I only have the symmetrical face mask ready.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 am 
Random avatar

Awesome! Can't wait to see more progress with the 90% scaled helmet. If that can be made into reality, then I will definitely commit to fully realizing my dream of a vader suit that is well proportioned to my medium build. Thanks for filling me with hope

Profile E-mail