It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: AA Comps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:24 pm 

SPLIT FROM AA TRIAL Darthvaderv

Note from Mac: This topic was split from the LFL vs. AA lawsuit thread, as I felt discussing the accuracy of AA's helmet, although loosely related, was not pertinent to the lawsuit discussions and requested that it split off in kind Moderator response to my request. The intention, however, is not for me to be the thread starter on this topic. - Mac

zenwalker wrote:
I agree with a lot of your points above Mac. I think a lot of the problems with that SDS had to do with improper assembly, and that point has been addressed in the past and I know Jez has spoken about this before as well.
With regards to your comparison pic above I am not really sure what you mean by the helmet being 'skewed'. Please also keep in mind that the SDS Battlespec is not an accurate rendition of a TK bucket at all, as AA tweaked it in the computer and made it more symmetrical on purpose.
For me the faceplate of the SDS seems bang on, as well as the dome and cheek tubes. It's weak points are the back of the helmet (and swoop), the ears and the undercut of the helmet.
But perhaps we are deviating from the purpose of this thread-the trial...please carry on.

Thanks for asking. Just to clarify, skewing refers to leaning to one side, but it can also refer to sagging or drooping. The jaw on the battlespec really droops to the right; and it strikes me that the helmet seems to be warped as if melting a little towards the left.

Here is the AA/SDS Stunt:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/July/complete1.jpg
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/June04/AAHelm01.jpg
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/June04/sdsstunt2.jpg
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/sepd ... ntback.jpg

And a similar effect with an unfinished hero helmet:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/unfinishedstormy.jpg

It also has the same warpage as the Battlespec (another shot of the battlespec below to show that last image I had posted was not an isolated case):

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/2007/sdsarmour01.jpg

The unique aspects of SDS helmets' appearing skewed has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. I'd encourage anyone interested to examine screencaps of ANH stormtroopers to see this jaw bulge-out on the viewer's right is consistent with all screen-used stormtroopers.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Last edited by CSMacLaren on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The AA Trial - renamed from armor sculpt topic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:45 pm 

Qui-Gonzalez wrote:
But aside from the face mask, everything else was way off.

I showed these before....read into it what you like. Arguing the case is one thing, arguing helmets is another. If I see things that look accurate or inaccurate to me, whether it's Vader or TK helmets, I'll point it out.

So here's a recap....cap....get it? :lol

The case doesn't change basic observations about the helmet. If I am showing these do I support AA? Well I think his helmets have something going for them so if you equate that with supporting AA that's your choice. I study helmets and their accuracy and state my impressions about them. Just because AA's a lier doesn't change my interest in determining where these buckets came from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:46 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
It also has the same warpage as the Battlespec (another shot of the battlespec below to show that last image I had posted was not an isolated case):

The unique aspects of SDS helmets' appearing skewed has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. I'd encourage anyone interested to examine screencaps of ANH stormtroopers to see this jaw bulge-out on the viewer's right is consistent with all screen-used stormtroopers.

They are not skewed or warped, see my comparisons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Jez' earlier analysis of the TIE pilot and the mohawk differences was my first indicator that just because something was made by Ainsworth, it doesn't mean it's entirely screen accurate. He has to reconstruct the look, almost from scratch, save for the molds he has. Given the molds he was working with and the skewed effect his pulls were having, I believed at the time that making the mold off of the interior of a screen used helmet and then vac-forming over that would produce a more accurate reproduction of the screen look than what Ainsworth was selling.

Huh? You joined the RPF March of 2007. The mohawk was discussed long before then.

Remember these?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:46 pm 

Admin,

Can we split SithLord's comps (and any pertinent posts by others) to another thread, so we can focus on trial and lawsuit discussions here? Thanks.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

The comps do relate to the topic in some form as it has lead into this as you posted comps also Mac but I agree on some counts, there are other threads in the Trooper section that these comps could be done so it makes for clearer reading.

Lets try and get back to the court case and older threads could be opened to do comps or start a new thread please. :thumbsup

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:22 pm 

Feel free to put it in a separate thread, I don't mind. Sorry for the big digression...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:25 pm 
Random avatar

Thomas...really? Again with this nonsense? Even in the tear area, your little red obfuscating lines merely point out the discrepancies.

Post subject: Re: AA COMPS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Split from AA trial...

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:54 pm 
Random avatar

darthvaderv wrote:
Split from AA trial...

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 pm 

Gonz,

I recall you had brought this issue up in the TD Vader discussion thread. From what I gathered, this was already discussed to an extent on RPF. If you don't want to rehash the details, do post links to the pertinent RPF thread(s), but it would also be helpful for us new to this topic if you could bring us up to speed.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:57 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
Gonz,

I recall you had brought this issue up in the TD Vader discussion thread. From what I gathered, this was already discussed to an extent on RPF. If you don't want to rehash the details, do post links to the pertinent RPF thread(s), but it would also be helpful for us new to this topic if you could bring us up to speed.

Mac, it's just the things that I spy with my little eye. The ear on the SDS is different, some of those mystery markings are just simply not there on the SDS, and barely there on the TE. Pointing to paintdrips on one that are not there on another. It's just tiresome seeing these images again. It is just Thomas defending this charlatan again.

Post subject: Re: AA Comps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:31 pm 

None of the comps SL did match. Not one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:38 pm 

Karo,

I could not agree more.

I don't want this discussion to turn into another 20+ page debate like the TD thread where all the fuss over obscure and small details while completely missing or ignoring dozens of other issues. The obvious differences are being ignored.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 am 
Random avatar

Darth Karo wrote:
None of the comps SL did match. Not one.

That is the same thing I have told Thomas before, Karo. His comps cemented it in my head that Ainsworth was full of bunk.