It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Let's get CSi, Columbo, Hawai 5.0 on the ANH vader
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:21 pm 

Great thanks wow. It almost looks like there isn't a "worm" there, or? Maybe I'm wrong about this...I'll have to work on it when I get home. Any better one's of Vader's left side? That closeup from below is very helpful because then I can check the inside of the eyes...many things to check...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 pm 

since i have alot of free time at work, i've been doing some digging regarding the goggles. Found these that might or might not be on the right track...

they are vintage Swiss Military Goggles. Didn't find pictures with green plastic frames unfortunately. The company that made these ones are Cebe.

Maybe this might help?!?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:50 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Great thanks wow. It almost looks like there isn't a "worm" there, or? Maybe I'm wrong about this...I'll have to work on it when I get home. Any better one's of Vader's left side? That closeup from below is very helpful because then I can check the inside of the eyes...many things to check...

Yeah based on that last shot it doesn't look like the worm is there now, which could make things simplier or maybe even more difficult. I do notice that the eyes edges appear soft. I'm still looking for more pics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:58 pm 

Brian,

Is it possible you could suggest maybe one or two of these colours that are close
to the goggle frames?

:cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 pm 

I hope the PMS works out. It's based on ink over coated or uncoated white paper.

The RGB (Red, Green, Blue) of uncalibrated LCD monitors may interpret those colors quite differently.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:56 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:
Yeah based on that last shot it doesn't look like the worm is there now, which could make things simplier or maybe even more difficult. I do notice that the eyes edges appear soft. I'm still looking for more pics.

Well I'm looking at things like the corners of the eyes, the cheek symmetry, details inside the mouth triangle area, front edge of the mouth triangle, insides of eyes, thickness of the casting in the chin vent area...need to check a few things...even the shape of the edges of the eyes...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:32 pm 

HAL9000 wrote:
Brian,

Is it possible you could suggest maybe one or two of these colours that are close
to the goggle frames?

:cheers

The nearest would be PMS 368

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:50 pm 

Brian, would you happen to recall if the goggles you saw looked expensive like a designer brand, or dirt cheap ones?

Thanks
Jeremy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:27 am 

It might be an idea to post a montage of many goggles with numbers for each frame and Brian could point out a type that looks the closest?

Ya that MGM helmet is either from the ILM mold or from a copy of something from that mold...hard to tell because if it is directly from that mold then there's been some cleanup...or thick paint...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:59 am 
Random avatar

I was at Disney MGM Orlando last November and it was there.
Very hard to photograph with all the people and the glass case.

chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:09 pm 
Random avatar

SithLord wrote:
It might be an idea to post a montage of many goggles with numbers for each frame and Brian could point out a type that looks the closest?

Ya that MGM helmet is either from the ILM mold or from a copy of something from that mold...hard to tell because if it is directly from that mold then there's been some cleanup...or thick paint...

The only problem with a montage of ski goggles is that the 70s vintage ones are scarce on the web. They can be found, but be prepared for some research in finding two lense 30+year old ski goggles. You have to remember the citeria, two lenses, ski goggles. I think the frame color may not be relevant as many colors were available, but this is just an opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:31 pm 

Also, the Pantone/PMS color system does not necessarily work on uncalibrated monitors which means the same green may appear differently on each person's monitor.

The PMS color system is based on coated or uncoated white paper and how its inks will appear. It's not a light based color. Monitors, conversely, work on the RGB light system (red, green and blue). If you try to give RGB art to a printer, they'll almost always complain and ask for you to provide CMYK art (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) - which is a color identification scheme for printing on white paper - or they'll ask you for PMS color information.

There is a device you can buy that has an optical sensor that calibrates Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (or whatever supported software you might use) to display Pantone colors as closely as if you had taped a piece of paper over your monitor with the actual inks. However, this is still an approximation.

What's worse is that the Pantone books that Pantone corporation will seem to vary in color from time to time. It's nuts, I know, but that's what the print shop people tell me.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:37 pm 

I think we are looking for something in the ballpark, not an exact color match here. I was going to ask Brian for a sketch of what he remembers, but that would just be plain silly, wouldn't it? :toothy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 pm 
Random avatar

clutch wrote:
I think we are looking for something in the ballpark, not an exact color match here. I was going to ask Brian for a sketch of what he remembers, but that would just be plain silly, wouldn't it? :toothy

Probably so, but the worst anyone can tell you is "No".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:32 pm 

I think any information is better than no information in an investigation.
Anthing that helps us zero in on the killer...I mean...the source of
Vader pieces. Sorry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next