It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Recasting - Good or Bad?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:48 pm 

If I posted as Tardis5 as you're insinuating, would you mind following up with the Den Admins to examine the Tardis5 account particulars in the board's admin control panel and ascertain that for you?

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:54 pm 

I am not insinuating anything of the kind. Simply pointing out the post(s) were likely put up by an individual who would likely, for whatever reason, directly benefit from them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:08 pm 

Fair enough. But I do have a hunch Phil is still around. Different name, different templates.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 pm 

Phil's work can still be found on ebay every now and then under a new sellers ID name. This Tardis5 identity started a new account and the same day posted up only twice with the same material and text in both posts. The Photobucket account of 'allyoucaneat01' is also quite new with only photos of my work contained in it's entire library. I believe these two accounts were set up as tools to use for a single purpose. Phil would have had no reason to be so careful to cover his tracks. In fact, he was always quite proud of his findings and would want the whole planet to know it is he who found them.

This was, in my opinion, done solely to discredit me in some way and through mud on my name.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 pm 

Well, I trust your judgment as it sounds like you know Phil better than I do, and you've probably been around long before me and back in the days when he had his own forum and was king of the hill with Vader helmets. I've only been attacked by him publicly twice in the past but they were very brief and not elaborate.

Here's a thought: what would be even more elaborate and out there is if you were connected with Tardis5 and set this whole thing up yourself just to pin this on me because you fear the Darth Ugly competition - since you know Phil, exonorated him, know his post mannerisms, current standing in the hobby, ebay accounts, and information that's beyond my reach. Sounds ridiculous, right?

Not that I believe you'd go such lengths. Just sayin'.

Photos should not be taken out of context and used against anyone, so when I saw them posted, note that I simply asked you questions (as I'm about giving benefit of doubt) but found you evading them or avoiding answering them directly. Water under the bridge.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Well, I trust your judgment as it sounds like you know Phil better than I do, and you've probably been around long before me and back in the days when he had his own forum and was king of the hill with Vader helmets. I've only been attacked by him publicly twice in the past but they were very brief and not elaborate.

Here's a thought: what would be even more elaborate and out there is if you were connected with Tardis5 and set this whole thing up yourself just to pin this on me because you fear the Darth Ugly competition - since you know Phil, exonorated him, know his post mannerisms, current standing in the hobby, ebay accounts, and information that's beyond my reach. Sounds ridiculous, right?

Not that I believe you'd go such lengths. Just sayin'.

Photos should not be taken out of context and used against anyone, so when I saw them posted, note that I simply asked you questions (as I'm about giving benefit of doubt) but found you evading them or avoiding answering them directly. Water under the bridge.

Dude, seriously? I have a one year back log of orders which only have a 25% deposit on them as a down payment. In case you have not noticed, I have stopped taking new orders 2 months ago. WHY would I, or what would I have to gain by putting your ugly helmet down? I am going to coast by for the next 12 to 15 months without taking on another order. I have NO motivation in this slur of information which is going on now by some manipulative con man activity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:43 pm 

Yes, seriously, because you tried connecting me with Tardis5. Consider your own actions rather than misrepresent mine.

- Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:57 pm 

Others are making that conclusion for themselves. Point out and quote the text where I said that you are Tardis5 and I will apologies. I will not be made responsible for any misunderstandings. The identity of this person(s) is very well concealed by someone who has allot to loose if they are discovered. Whomever is playing this game is putting all of their eggs into one basket.

Is your breath getting shorter with a slight increase of heart rate? :toothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:37 am 

Darth Stone wrote:

You know, Kent, I'm kinda developing a man crush on you.... :blah

- Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 am 

And you know, Kent, I'm not going to compete with you. Competing with another person means you've only won or less a competition. It doesn't mean one has become a better sculptor. The best way to have fun in the hobby is to sculpt for fun and let everyone decide on the results. :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 am 

And I also extend an apology to JediJeffrey for believing that Tardis5 was him.

- Mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:12 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
And I also extend an apology to JediJeffrey for believing that Tardis5 was him.

I appreciate the apology, thanks :cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:58 am 

Darth Stone wrote:
Others are making that conclusion for themselves. Point out and quote the text where I said that you are Tardis5 and I will apologies. I will not be made responsible for any misunderstandings. The identity of this person(s) is very well concealed by someone who has allot to loose if they are discovered. Whomever is playing this game is putting all of their eggs into one basket.

Kent,

In your challenge, you misrepresented what I actually said which is actually this:

CSMacLaren wrote:
... because you tried connecting me with Tardis5.

"Connecting" does not mean "Equating". And this is how you connected me with Tardis5:

Darth Stone wrote:
Considering your zest for knowledge on the subject it could be someone else that you know who wrote the thing.

I think it's safe to say Tardis5 is not JediJeffrey as that was my error in supposition. But if Tardis5 were connected with me, note that Tardis5 misrepresented me as he was attacking you:

Tardis5 wrote:
But this guys wares will go on to be praised why FRIENDS that's why just like with the MAC issue recasting is looked the other way when our friends do it right?

First off, the Den Admins didn't exactly come to my help when JediJeffrey first laid claim to be the father of Darth Ugly. Second, Carsten did categorize me being wrong even though the classic definition of recasting doesn't even remotely take into account a total renovative effort. For example, if a candle melts and you recycle the wax to reform a candle, that's something of a different nature. The long and short of it is, that entire ordeal was not exactly pleasant and it took a lot of effort clarifying my position that I did not illicitly do a direct duplication of anything. That is not and has never been my way.

So why would I have someone I know sign on as Tardis5 and drag my own name through all that mud all over again?

To conclude, I am not connected in any way with Tardis5, and to drop all these little posts that someone benefits indirectly while making these comments on my supposedly fearing your competition doesn't make your supposition true. Darth Ugly has been enjoying support and encouragement by fellow fans, and whether you have a one month or one year wait list, and any suggestion in your previous two posts that I would benefit indirectly from Tardis5 attacking you may validly be your personal feelings but that does not make them true.

I may not agree with you on evading my questions, and you may not agree with me asking them. But let's not magnify the issue beyond the immediate disagreement. In fact, the one thing I think we can both agree on is we don't want Phil to be laughing at the idea he threw a pebble into a still pond and got three prop makers going after one another.

- Mac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm 

JediJeffrey,

I thought I’d share some new photos to show what level of work I actually do, in light the recent posts and exchanges on the topic of recasting.

This is my scratchbuilt ROTS sculpt. None of this is illicit, direct duplication of anyone’s work or product. This mask is 100% made out of 2-part clay. Whereas recasting may take a day, this has been a process of the last 7 years.

Earlier stage:

Today:

I started with a taxidermy clay (yellower to approximate bone in appearance and in hardness) but eventually abandoned it for something far easier to sand (white). None of this is fiberglass or polyurethane. I eventually resculpted my original taxidermy work with the new white material but some of the old clay still shows in a few remaining areas. I occasionally paint the sculpt black to examine surface continuity, hence the black streaks.

Another clay sculpt I’ve done that you had expressed concern for in the past is my “ClayNH”. This is another charity project that I’m sculpting for yet another SW fan on this forum called DarthVaderNut72 but it’s been so long and I’m a bit ashamed with my lack of progress, but I hope to circle back to it.

Earlier shots you saw:

First, the mask may have been sculpted on a small mannequin head, but this does not constitute recasting. When sculpting something for actors to wear, unless extremely oversized like a raptor or werewolf, the Hollywood special effects industry uses a foam bust of a male or female as a size reference before they commit clay, as sculpting out of a massive solid clay block is incredibly heavy and costly.

The “ClayNH” here uses none of the underlying surfaces of the mannequin.

Lastly, the dome is a new sculpt. I used a Hasbro Voice Changer as my armature but as you can see in the following photos, there is up to 1”-1.25” of clay over it.

Using a quarter as a size reference to show how much clay there is packed over the original dome:

In this case, this is not a modification. I’m not using any of the original dome. In fact, at this stage, I could theoretically remove the original dome but the clay is so heavy the flange would distort, so it needs the plastic underneath to hold it up. And were this a solid block of clay, it would be expensive for me, not to mention quite heavy and unwieldly to work with.

Anyway, I hope we can find some agreement and peace on the topic as we are both fellow artists working on what we love.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm 

For the small handful of folks who have been busting my balls over this mould lately, you may find this interesting.

I made this mould over a year ago mostly so that I could have a glossy ANH to display with the one efx had delivered. Even going out and purchasing two acrylic covers to display the helmets. At no point in time did I ever entertain plans of some big offering or having it replace my other moulds in my library. I admit, I had a weak moment and in a bit of desperation I offered a few on the RPF. I was a bit surprised at the reaction it received but I understand better how some look at licensed material and I have complied with their wishes without complaint.

For me this was always meant to be a fun project for myself. Over recent developments and after someone went for a stroll in my photo account and used images out of context to make me out as some sort of evil doer I have decided that having this tool in my library is just not worth the BS that comes with it. I did share a few castings to some who were looking to complete their projects. I never once perused anyone with a lookie what I got after the brief RPF offering. If that is the way some people feel about it I sure as heck am not going to go looking for a fight over it. It just is not that important to me is all.

I have been giving this some thought over the last week. And I have come to the decision to destroy the target on my balls which everyone has taken to kicking at. But before I do this I have made one last copy for myself that will get painted one day to finally complete what I started out to do in the first place. So, after all of the hateful and sleep depriving interrogation that I have suffered, I bring you this,...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next