It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Recently found ANH Vader
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:39 am 
Random avatar

Yes, would also like to see a pic how the bells attached on the armor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:47 am 

Ahhh , the sign of a true freak..I keep hoping pictures of the BACKS of all these wonderful pieces will be posted!! :) :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:00 pm 

Hi Guys,

Having reiterated your comments and thanks back to the owner of the suit, he's asked me to post the following comment from him......

Cheers

Jez

"Hello,

Being a Vader enthusiast for several years myself and with the secretive stance some have had on this character had me pulling my hair out, although I do understand that there are promises to keep. When I stumbled on this Vader, and trust me, it was a pure fluke, I decided to share photo's with you all, I hope you've enjoyed them and maybe assisted you in your Vader build. I know I've spent years and lots of money trying to get my Vader right and with this in my hands I can see where my replica is lacking.

As you have all found out, the paint and clear coat on the face is EXTREMELY thick and I know that stripping the paint off is the only way to verify it's authenticity to being the poster Vader, but that's not going to happen, he has a certain "charm" in his current state. There is, however, a tell that leads me to think it is, but this is only my observation/opinion. I wont say anything further on this as I don't want to steer your thoughts, if someone discovers it, great, if not, that's cool too. My only hint is, it's prominent on the poster Vader face and faint on the face I have here due to paint (grrrr the paint!!! if I find the guy who did it, I'm going to take a dump in his breakfast!!!).

I've put this costume through some stress while taking photo's and only had it all together for less than 24 hours, but have owned it for a few weeks now. It's time to give him (and me, lol) a rest. I'm going to set him up in his new home and enjoy him, I do hope that you've enjoyed the photo's and understand my decision.

To those who've thanked me in this thread, you're welcome."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:27 pm 

Jez, please convey our thanks and appreciation to him.

Thanks!

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Last edited by CSMacLaren on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:42 pm 

Interesting, well glad he's keeping it painted, :lol

So, if there's a tell that he can barely distinguish on the mask, that's going to be hard to see in a photograph, but I'll see if I can find it. Sounds like he's enjoying his acquisition, nice of him to say hello. Interesting as well that he's staying anonymous.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm 

But he said its prominent on the one sheet, so it should be easy to find on his.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 pm 

Vadermonkey wrote:
But he said its prominent on the one sheet, so it should be easy to find on his.

Ya gotta love challenges. :banger :lol

Although there are a few things that stand out in the poster shot, the most prominent of markings, IMO, are the little white spots/blemishes/pinholes? under vader's right eye. Also there appears to be a faint line that runs from the corner of the eye across the upper cheek area. It seems this new faceplate has that line as well (or at least the beginning of it) and those markings may be covered by the paint. Just speculation on my part based on the photos provided.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:46 am 

Sorry I don't see the same features on the owner's mask, do you mind marking them?

My scepticism about the mask is related to the relative thickness of certain areas...such as these. I don't see them as being a result of repainting...sure if the mask was refinished things can happen, but I doubt these are the result of that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:38 am 

I have to admit, I don't see enough to believe that the mask is the one in the poster, unless it's gone through some changes since then. But I do believe the helmet to be the very same one. Some of the other parts, such as the cod, aren't the same, either. But the belt is a good match. What a strange and interesting mix of parts. Quite a find. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:02 am 

SithLord wrote:
Sorry I don't see the same features on the owner's mask, do you mind marking them?

Sure. It's crude, but I believe it's there. Again just speculation based on what I see.

I also agree with your assessments Thomas and don't believe it's just due to repainting. I believe that in this case, as so many before it, that the previous owner/s sanded down/altered areas he/she shouldn't have. One area of interest is the curvature of that far right tooth which appears to be on the ESB promo faceplate also, but it's not on the TD, TM, SL/DJ or the original. You can see how much sanding has taken place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:03 am 

I am more inclined to think the thickness in those areas is due to the paint being so thick as well as camera angle but good points nonetheless.

As for the face I think there are as many similarities at this point as there are differences. It will certainly be fun to study this helmet for sure... :cool:

As for the similarity in question, I approached it with the thought that if the face was the poster face the detail would have to be something cast in so obvious that it could not be covered by paint or the marking would have been the beginning of something like the chip on the nose.

I have circled the starting point of a nose chip on the poster face that appears to be in the exact location as the tour face.

As for the chinvent thickness, is it posible Thomas you are measuring the foam that was glued in as part of the fiberglass? Just a thought as it looks thinner in other better lit pics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:06 am 

Good observation about the side of the mouth triangle. As you probably know, that side has large undulations on the surface so it makes sense that was taken down a bit. Taking that idea a bit further, I tried to find a good image of a 20th C because I think it might be similar. And indeed it looks to be also taken down a bit, but that could just be a coincidence since any cleanup would require that kind of smoothing out.

Of course, any 20th C derivative would then also have that thinner side...like the SPFX.

The GH ANH was taken down on that side as well, but to a different degree.

So, it's common but hard to say if it's related. Could it have fathered the 20th C? It has the narrow nosebridge...it would take more comparing but just thinking out loud, again because it's a good point you raise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 am 

Guys, Jez, we need a name for this helmet to make it easier to discuss.

Jez, could we use the intials of the owner or can he make up something? Or you make up something appropriate? Two initials would be nice :lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:31 am 

Vadermonkey wrote:
I have circled the starting point of a nose chip on the poster face that appears to be in the exact location as the tour face.

As for the chinvent thickness, is it posible Thomas you are measuring the foam that was glued in as part of the fiberglass? Just a thought as it looks thinner in other better lit pics.

Ya, that little mark....here in red...I don't know. It's compelling but by itself not conclusive.

I don't believe it's foam on the inside of the chin, although I think Jez can confirm that, I could be wrong. But anyway, look at that side that I marked as being thicker in the casting on the chin, Vader's right of the chin triangle edge....it's curved on the poster mask and straighter on the owner's mask...it could be the angle but these are fairly well matched.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:06 am 

Darth Karo wrote:

I looked closely at that area on the movie poster and I just don't see it the way it should be if it was that raised crest or ridge as it's seen on the owner's mask. This image is enlarged and heavily processed to bring out contrast/relief. It really should show more clearly even if there was a thick layer of paint because it seems to be quite a raised ridge on the owner's mask....of course it's just a photo so not really definitive....because the absence of something given this resolution doesn't prove it's not there, but based on my experience I wager it's not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next