It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: SPFX ANH Vader raw kit
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:35 pm 

Hey I'm just wondering do you have a paint gun or do you just use spray can's like myself? Did you use masking tape or did you try to go freehand on it? I'm no expert but you should always use masking tape.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:11 pm 

Darthminion wrote:
Hey I'm just wondering do you have a paint gun or do you just use spray can's like myself? Did you use masking tape or did you try to go freehand on it? I'm no expert but you should always use masking tape.

The gunmetal/silver on ANH Vader was hand-painted using a brush. If you look closely you'll see that the imperfections are part of the look. The definitely didn't tape anything off when they painted it and I followed suit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm 

The more I live with it, the more I think you're right, RBJ. It's just a little too light. I might have avoided that by not buffing it out so much. I may try a second coat of the MrMetalColor. It was quite a bit darker before buffing but I neglected to get a pic of it. I was also considering trying some dulling spray on it to see what effect that would have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:17 am 

Have you got any pictures of the finished helmet? Hows it coming along?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:25 am 

I got to spend a little time with Darth this weekend and managed to get the grille and lenses installed. I ended up putting dog screen behind the grille since I hope to troop with this helmet one day. Tusks are in place now too. I also worked out the start of a mounting method for the helmet but it's not quite done yet. I also need to work out the strapping and internal padding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

freakengine wrote:
Darthminion wrote:

The gunmetal/silver on ANH Vader was hand-painted using a brush. If you look closely you'll see that the imperfections are part of the look. The definitely didn't tape anything off when they painted it and I followed suit.

Actually... there are several lines on the helmet from where they taped off. But it is unlikely they taped all the black parts off, just simple strips to get nice sharp lines between the colors - in fact... the reason these lines exist is because the tape was pulled off too late, where the paint had dried too much to level out and be plane with the rest, leaving an edge. Definitely sloppy work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:25 am 

Too Much Garlic wrote:
because the tape was pulled off too late.

To be honest i don't think he used any tape on it. Looks to me like he went full-on free hand but if he did use tape on those edges i think it would have had that effect taking it off too early rather than too late.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

I was talking about the original. And no, if taken off too early the paint will bleed in over the tape line, making a ragged line. The tape marks and straight lines can only suggest the tape wasn't removed early or at the right time. My father was a professional car painter and that was his comment on the tape lines.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7