It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: TIE Pilot Helmets & Armor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Since this has turned into an RS Props TIE helmet discussion I'm thinking of splitting the topic out into an RS Props TIE helmet thread.

Really sorry I haven't kept up on updating the lists. I've just not been feeling well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:50 pm 

voice in the crowd wrote:
Turrican wrote:
The hoses have the right look but they are not flexible and very strong.
You also can not see something through the lenses.Not even what is 1m in front of you.

I am sure the original screen TIE pilots hoses are full of expanding foam to keep their shape in keep them from coming out the chest boxes.

I am also sure Jez from starwarshelmets.com said that seeing through the bubble lenses on the TIE / ATAT screen helmets was really hard.

Must have been torture being one of the actors having to wear one of these on the film set :)

Thanks Chris for that info.
I also have read anywhere on the RPf that Shepperton still fill them up with PU faom.
Do you know any good source for them.

The ones i got from RSprops are really nice looking but not have the correct shape compared to the originals.
Also as i messed one up while i try to bend them in palce with my heatgun , i would need a new set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 am 

Nairod wrote:
Ok, thanks.

In fact I ordered a TIE helmet kit when RSprop announced it

I also ordered a storm helemt kit at the same time.

They delivered me both helmet, before Christmas as promised (but I wasn't in hurry).

Storm helmet kit was perfect, as usual (not my first order from RS team)., but the TIE helmet kit was incomplete and "damaged".

I only received plastic parts (ears, two halves of the main helmet and the faceplate).

The faceplate is pinched on one side (left tube) due to a very thin area on the plastic (thus when I manipulate it, it bend a lot).

I contacted the team and they explained me that they sent what they had when I ordered the kit and promised me replacement part and missing parts. I then learned that they had some trouble finding the correct material for the lenses, which explain the delay this project took.

I recently saw on facebook that a customer received his kit. He had the decals, the greeblies, the lenses, the plastic parts to join the mohawk area, the star (petal) foam and everythings needed to complete the kit as a finished helmet.

I've sent many emails (with questions about upcoming products, since I really like what the team do). Sometimes I had news and answer and sometimes not. Since my last email (sent one week ago), no news :pale

RSprop TIE pilot helmet, Episode 2

I finally received the replacement faceplate and some of the missing parts. (I remember you that I bought the helmet kit on November 2014).

So I can finish the helmet. But in comparison with some other customers, I didn't recieved some parts. No stickers, no padding foam, no greeblies (ears bolts and front snaps), no certificate....

I didn't know what happened with RSprop but I'm really surprised.

Nevertheless, I have the main elements to finish this helmet and it's still a great replica (nice strong ABS and cool details).
The whole shape looks very accurate!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:08 pm 
Random avatar

Turrican wrote:
Do you know any good source for them.

The ones i got from RSprops are really nice looking but not have the correct shape compared to the originals.
Also as i messed one up while i try to bend them in palce with my heatgun , i would need a new set.

The hose RS Props use is this - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-conduits/7314261/

Unfortunately this stuff isn't cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:16 pm 

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup

Have found some other hoses ( also not what i want ) and tried the PU-Foam thing.
It was a mess... but... they keep now in position.

Will may show some pic's later today.

But do you think those hoses you show above is some of the kind they used back in '77?

Edit:

2 teaser pic's:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:21 am 
Random avatar

I got my RS Tie helmet in untrimmed kit form. I have almost finished it and i am really pleased with the helmet and how the assembly has gone.

BTW, if you get any scratches in the helmet, you can remove them with T-Cut. I have even sanded many areas on mine and then T-Cut those areas to a perfect scratch free shine.
So if you get quite a bad scratch, just sand it with fine wet and dry paper, then just keep T-Cutting it until its gone.

Its not like the acrylic capped black ABS which you can't sand and polish up, as you wear through the acrylic capping.

Really, really pleased with mine :cool:

Keith.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:33 am 

jkno wrote:
Can we get some more info on the BOC interiors and clock greeblies please? Or are they state secret :lol

Sorry but these 2 items were not my finds.

The things I found were the BOC bulb holder, the box on the back of the TIE and ATAT helmet, the TIE forehead greeblies, the cannisters on the back of the ATAT. It is common knowledge the ear greeblies are Michells turntable pulleys.

Feel free to PM me about any of the items I have discovered but it is up to the other TIE / ATAT guys to share their finds if they want to.

No need for any of this anymore. I have a list of almost all real greeblies used on AT-AT Driver. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:53 am 

jkno wrote:
jkno wrote:
Can we get some more info on the BOC interiors and clock greeblies please? Or are they state secret :lol

Sorry but these 2 items were not my finds.

The things I found were the BOC bulb holder, the box on the back of the TIE and ATAT helmet, the TIE forehead greeblies, the cannisters on the back of the ATAT. It is common knowledge the ear greeblies are Michells turntable pulleys.

Feel free to PM me about any of the items I have discovered but it is up to the other TIE / ATAT guys to share their finds if they want to.

No need for any of this anymore. I have a list of almost all real greeblies used on AT-AT Driver. :thumbsup

That's cool, now RS just need's to make an AT-AT Helmet. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:08 pm 

RS TIE Helmet + can of Grey spray paint = AT AT Helmet. At least that's how I was thinking of doing it, lol.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:54 pm 

dcarty wrote:
RS TIE Helmet + can of Grey spray paint = AT AT Helmet. At least that's how I was thinking of doing it, lol.

Dave

That's how ILM did it for ESB anyway. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6