It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Recently found ANH Vader
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:13 pm 

Regardless of whether this is a tour suit or promotional suit or whatever, I think it is great that pieces like this are still turning up, and even better that the owner is sharing pictures with us geeks! :cheers

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 pm 

Very cool Jez. Thanks to you and the owner for posting pics. I agree with Joe, regardless of where it stands on the vader food chain, it's one helluva nice helmet. It most likely is not screenused, but that doesn't take away from it's beauty. It wasn't that long ago that the DJ was held to such a high regard and within the last 5 years we keep seeing one vader helmet after another that keeps our interests going and going. I know of a few more out there that I'm just waiting to be unveiled, but this one surely is a nice start. :thumbsup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:00 pm 
Random avatar

Fantastic shot of this helmet :drool Hope we will see more pics of it in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:27 pm 

Beautiful, just beautiful, everybody else has already said what I want to say.

Thanks Jez and thanks also to your contact for making this piece public, and for making The Prop Den the place to reveal it.

Cheers mate,
Alan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 pm 

Yea, pretty cool new one.

Welcome back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:06 pm 

The owner sent me these shots of the complete costume. From what I gather, he received everything bar the upper part of the leather suit and the gloves. The shins and I think boots are there but not in this shot. Note that only the COD has a B&N tag so the provenance of the other soft parts is unclear. However the leather pants do look very interesting and appear to have a similar elastic section to Kermit's

More info on my site including info to say that it's WHITE gel coated fiberglass painted black.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:27 pm 
Random avatar

Killer :drool very lucky owner.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:24 pm 

I've been talking to some of the guys here off line and the more I look the more I'm convinced this is a "mix and match" Tour suit thats been used for various promotions since the late 70's.

I'm pretty convinced the helmet dome IS the one from the ESB promotion shot but the face may not be. What I'd love to know is whether the face was cast (1st generation?) from the screen-used ANH helmet or possibly the original moulds? the fact that the gel/fiberglass is white interests me...

The cod piece doesnt appear to be the screen-used one so the B&N tag is odd - did B&N do tour parts or did they make several for ANH? It's the sort of info John Mollo would have in his diary/art book so another question to ask him when I next get an opportunity.

The other parts look interesting, but I have to say that my knowledge of chest boxes and belts isnt too hot so will deferr to others. However the rigours of a tour costume for what was THE most successful movie of all time suggests to me that worn or damaged parts for these costumes were altered/repaired/replaced with little concern over the provenance they once had.

Once I get some better pics of the parts I'll post them up - however as a remaining tour costume I think its fabulous and may just help us fill in a few more gaps in this interesting hobby we have.

Thanks for all your input

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:18 pm 

BingoBongo275 wrote:
I'm pretty convinced the helmet dome IS the one from the ESB promotion shot but the face may not be. What I'd love to know is whether the face was cast (1st generation?) from the screen-used ANH helmet or possibly the original moulds? the fact that the gel/fiberglass is white interests me...

Thanks Jez for the amazing coverage of this suit.

It seems to me that the helmet might have come from the same ILM mold as the DJ and SL. So it would be cast from the screen helmet if it's from the ILM mold and therefore 2nd generation from the original mold. But I've not seen the top of the mask yet so hard to say for sure, it's just a guess. But the size is on par. I don't see the mask as being the movie poster one as there are just too many minor but significant enough differences to suggest otherwise. But they seem to be similar age, right. If they are the same age and paint treatment then that argues they were sourced together. The armor is not the same clearly but there are tells indicating it's from the same mold as the movie poster armor. Quite an amazing ensemble nonetheless....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 pm 

Gotta' say that face-on shot reminds me of the DK / John Naulin piece. Something
about the right hand cheek cut-in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:42 am 
Random avatar

Can't say it enough...thank you Jez for sharing these. Also please thank the owner, what a find! Are there any other photos, say of the suit itself or the shins??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Again thanks for sharing. Excellent stuff.

The chestbox is not the real deal IMO but it does derrive from there 100%. So it is cast off screen used. The rods, light, rockers etc are all positioned correctly.

The cod looks like a tour and the belt, the boxes for the most part look good but not screen IMO. I agree a mix and match of authentic and misc pieces which some IMO have come from the screen used at some point, they are just casts though, and by looking at the armour and everything I would say they are high up on the generation line.

Great find and thanks to the owner :thumbsup

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:23 pm 

Even in it's current condition, that is one bad ass display. Again Jez I can't say it enough, thanks to you and the owner for sharing pics. I'm curious about a few things, but I'll leave that to pm. Keep those pics coming....... :cool:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:44 pm 

The full setup really captures the look we've all come to love. Jez, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm 

What an amazing find! The kind we all dream of..I'll just add to the " thanks so much for sharing" club!! I hope more details can be revealed here..I love hearing stories of how things were found and brought into the "collecting" comunities! Thanks again..looking forward to more!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next