It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:22 pm 

SithLord wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:
Thomas I see plenty of reference with regard to what I stated about your TD and what you've stated/implied. You can word play all you want, but the inferences are there plain and simple.

Then clarify for me what you see. I know what I posted.

Apparently you don't. All YOUR quotes. It's very clear what you tried to imply. Your statements about the original mouth wall being visible was an obvious attempt at trying to prove that it was somehow altered during the casting process of the original when, in fact, Brian had already told you that the tubes were sculpted to the end like seen in the original, yet you still attempted to mix fact with fiction to get the answer you wanted. And yes, you have implied plenty of times that it is was possibly a production helmet. I've stated before that you have a real nice faceplate, but you've been a very naughty boy misquoting Brian all this time.

SithLord wrote:
I can say that the cut there is not what one would see if one were cutting fiberglass...and on the side of the mouth there is an addition edge...a vertical edge so it's not just the mouth triangle side coming down to the bottom...it's the original sculpture of the mouth revealed there...before the tubes would have been added and they were added just as roles of clay.

SithLord wrote:
And yes I have measurements of an ANH mask from 1976 that is larger than the DJ ANH and larger than the TM.

SithLord wrote:
Mine is from ANH.

SithLord wrote:
This mask's "father" has all the details and even more than a VP or TM, because it's from ANH.

SithLord wrote:
Let's just say that mine has ANH details that are missing on the DJ ANH, TM and VP. It has everything that should be on an ANH because it IS ANH, and yes Brian confirmed this.

SithLord wrote:
The tubes on mine were cut back, simple. You dont' even notice that where they are cut back you can see the side of the original mouth as it was sculpted by Brian Muir. Ever see that before? :rolleyes

Maybe you should have a close look at HD caps of the Tantive IV scene when Vader chokes the rebel soldier and look at the left side tubes and get back to me. I'm not sure why I have to explain everything to you.

SithLord wrote:
The tabs are as sharp as the TM tabs and identical in size to real ones. Keep in mind this mask was used with a dome and there is wear on the top indicating that. I could strip the paint but it seems to be original paint. The photos are so fuzzy that it's really hard to appreciate the sharpness. The neck on mine is exactly as the original...you dont have to put an extension on it as with the TM and it's not cut back like the VP. Not only that, the neck fits the GH master armor like a glove, and I mean perfectly aligned with it. Nothing else out there I know does. That's how big this thing is. You can simply compare the eyebrows for example...yes they are sharp on the VP and TM but they are not supposed to be...they are modified or altered slightly from the original. Furthermore the undercut on mine exceeds anything else out there and the rear curvature matches the Paul Allen mask perfectly (except mine has more material in the rear). Anyway I could go on but you guys have your favorites and I have mine.

SithLord wrote:
Well during the refinement of the ANH mask, John Barry the production designer instructed Brian Muir to alter the ends of the tusk tubes. The tube ends on mine are slightly wider but the same height. Notice as well on the screen mask that there is evidence of a demarkation where the edge of the tubes toward the ends becomes irregular. I said to look at the left tube end of an HD screencap. Clearly no one did that. There's what looks like a white line right were the cut point is on mine. I'm not sure if mine was cut in the casting but it seems to have been molded from something that had it's tubes cut back. The cut marks suggest it was clay, not fiberglass and it could not have been cut off from a fiberglass casting because what remains is the original side of the mouth in how it was sculpted. Brian Muir took long strips of clay and rolled them round and then stuck them on the side of the face to make the tusk tubes. So if you took away that piece of clay you would see the side of the mouth. That's just one small thing I could point out among many things.

You see, you guys haven't really been following the hints I've tried to give you. The screen mask did not come out of the original mold. And if you knew how the helmets were made it's obvious why. There was a secondary mold for the screen mask but the master, yes, would not have had tabs. The cast tabs on this mask are the one thing that doesn't make sense because the type of mold this mask came out of is kind of unique.

This mask obviously wasn't used onscreen. And both Muir and I know that it didn't come out of the original mold, but then again neither did the screen mask. But after Brian did the sculpting it all went to the plasterers and so it was out of his hands. It could have been a test helmet since it has original black paint. But Brian does think it is original.

SithLord wrote:
The question is whether it was used in the production or not. I have evidence that it might have been.

SithLord wrote:
Maybe you should compare an ANH from 1976 with an ESB from 1979 side-by-side and get back to me....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:43 pm 

SithLord wrote:

Darth Karo wrote:
With regard to the ILM mold, there's a lot more than just some tusk restoration going on IMO.
My opinion is that the original was altered in the UK prior to being sent back to the US. Tom, if you didn't read my comment that I posted early this morning elsewhere, I bring up the same questions as to the molds in the UK. The differences in the necks, their sizes, and width of the TM,VP and the TD (in addition to the short tubes on the TD) suggest that there were more than one mold.

Of course there was more than one mold...it's not just a suggestion. There's no way even if you cleaned up the TM or TD that it would be from the same mold as the VP. The same holds true if the TD had a neck extension...there's no way it came from the same mold as the TM.

So what alterations do you mean? Size difference is not an alteration, width of what? That's related to size. I stated a long time ago that the TD and TM came from different molds, that the VP was smaller than the TD/TM...so what's new here? I don't understand what you think was altered on the original prior to going to the USA? It has every detail as we see it in the UK onscreen that it has when it was on the tour and by then it would have been molded in the USA. Just because the neck comes out of that mold a little differently just because of the way the mold is seated in the jacket or whatever isn't an intentional alteration to the mask, for example. That's all I'm asking.

What are you talking about? Who said anything about how a casting comes out of the mold?

SithLord wrote:
Darth Karo wrote:
Since all three have the worms on the mouth wall in addition to the ESB Hero/s and stunts, they all had one originating source with those worms. Since the original didn't have those worms, the mold taken in the UK may have had that flaw in it or the cast taken from that mold had it, so any casts from that would have had it as well. Question is which had it, the mold taken from the original or the first cast taken from the mold. It's also obvious that ILM molds didn't have it because both the DJ and the SL don't have those worms.

Or the original as seen at Elstree has the worms....as a result of repainting...

Repainting huh? Is that your opinion or fact?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:25 am 

The dangers of supposition sold as fact;

SithLord wrote:

Oh and I'll point out again that the tubes on the screen mask were altered during production...in length at the ends...this is from production photos. Also there's indication of bondo or repair on the tube ends on the screen mask that is lacking on mine...where the tubes meet. Now you could say oh mine was just cleaned up. But then the top tube in that same area has the vertical bumps that are seen on the screen mask...in the exact same area the screen mask has some bondo or filler material or something....so it's strange...

The implication of the above statement is that Brian Sculpted the helmet with short tubes which were subsequently lengthened during production.
I presume you mean pre-production as opposed to production?

vaderman wrote:
As you state I did not sculpt the tusk short - I sculpted them as they appear on screen.

Brian

Anson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:34 pm 

AnsonJames wrote:
The dangers of supposition sold as fact;

SithLord wrote:

Oh and I'll point out again that the tubes on the screen mask were altered during production...in length at the ends...this is from production photos. Also there's indication of bondo or repair on the tube ends on the screen mask that is lacking on mine...where the tubes meet. Now you could say oh mine was just cleaned up. But then the top tube in that same area has the vertical bumps that are seen on the screen mask...in the exact same area the screen mask has some bondo or filler material or something....so it's strange...

The implication of the above statement is that Brian Sculpted the helmet with short tubes which were subsequently lengthened during production.
I presume you mean pre-production as opposed to production?

vaderman wrote:
As you state I did not sculpt the tusk short - I sculpted them as they appear on screen.

Brian

Anson

Thanks Anson. I must have missed that one as there were so many to choose from.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm 

I apologise for the OT nature of this post but here's another example of supposition stated as fact;

SithLord wrote:
When Brian Muir first sculpted the Darth Vader helmet (dome), there was initially no center ridge. The eyebrows were already formed and the line of the eyebrows went down to the center of the widow's peak. He then added the strip of clay that was the center ridge and laid it OVER the widow's peak. He then took his thumb and pressed down on the part over the widow's peak and that's how the Y-crease came to be. So it's shape is a result of the underlying convergence of the eyebrow lines.

vaderman wrote:
The helmet was 'modelled' in clay and the detail was 'carved' including the ridge and peak and not laid on as a strip as stated by Sith Lord

Thomas,
I don't want to sound like I'm having a pop at you but if you're not 100% sure about the factual nature of your remarks then DON'T state them as fact!

It's just disinformation - it really doesn't help anyone here.
It also does sod all for your credibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

I know SL asked for quotes, but this feels like it's becoming a bit personal. I think the point has been made.

I will have to ask for everyone to get back on topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:07 pm 

NoHumorMan wrote:
I know SL asked for quotes, but this feels like it's becoming a bit personal. I think the point has been made.

I will have to ask for everyone to get back on topic.

Yes, let's move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
The thing is that your theories are interesting but you've so narrowed your opinion of what you see that you won't accept a larger or opposing views. Just how many screen captures did it take to finally convince you the nose paint on ANH didn't reach the edge?

I don't recall a big argument about that and I conceded. So?

CSMacLaren wrote:
How many of your photocomps have I had to personally re-examine to show you that your comparisons -- one after another -- were flawed and produced skewed results? -- which you then took personally and, again, blasted us with accusing you of posing false information.

Come on, the SL ANH vs TM ESB helmet comparison perspective difference I corrected with another comparison, where in that thread did I blast you or accuse you of posting false information...again you are incorrect and simply twist what happened in the thread to suit your own argument. So get that thread straight in your mind please. Yes, how many? You like to generalize.

CSMacLaren wrote:
And in terms of you saying people are accusing you of posting false information: when you have a hypothesis, are you not supposed to conduct various experiments to ensure consistency of those observations and to rule out false positives? You're the scientist - shouldn't you be the one sticking to the scientific method?

The scientific method also consists in observation and measurement in lieu of experimental verification. As a lay-person you should know that if you like to talk science.

CSMacLaren wrote:
Don't blast us and take things so personally like we're out to attack you. But I have to say that because of your myopic approach, you're putting yourself in a position where you're now reacting to our reactions. I'm not alone in feeling this way. Here, Brian says he's told you several times over the last 3 years, and here you are saying you've heard it the first time. Either you sincerely forgot, or you chose to pick and choose what you wanted to believe, or you specifically ignored Brian.

I'm not the one saying you have a myopic approach. You are the one throwing personal comments towards other people on this forum.

What I said about what Brian told me is the truth and I am not picking what I want to believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 pm 

SithLord wrote:
What I said about what Brian told me is the truth and I am not picking what I want to believe.

Says SithLord:

SithLord wrote:
When Brian Muir first sculpted the Darth Vader helmet (dome), there was initially no center ridge. The eyebrows were already formed and the line of the eyebrows went down to the center of the widow's peak. He then added the strip of clay that was the center ridge and laid it OVER the widow's peak. He then took his thumb and pressed down on the part over the widow's peak and that's how the Y-crease came to be. So it's shape is a result of the underlying convergence of the eyebrow lines.

Says Brian:

vaderman wrote:
I'd set the records straight when I'm being misquoted as it then becomes documented and then fact.

vaderman wrote:
clay was not laid on top of helmet and thumb was not used to form 'y' impression. He only used his thumb for the nose indentation.

Case closed.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:32 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:
Apparently you don't. All YOUR quotes. It's very clear what you tried to imply. Your statements about the original mouth wall being visible was an obvious attempt at trying to prove that it was somehow altered during the casting process of the original when, in fact, Brian had already told you that the tubes were sculpted to the end like seen in the original, yet you still attempted to mix fact with fiction to get the answer you wanted. And yes, you have implied plenty of times that it is was possibly a production helmet. I've stated before that you have a real nice faceplate, but you've been a very naughty boy misquoting Brian all this time.

Good, I'll address these quotes. And I knew Brian sculpted them that way. I said they were CUT BACK.

SithLord wrote:
I can say that the cut there is not what one would see if one were cutting fiberglass...and on the side of the mouth there is an addition edge...a vertical edge so it's not just the mouth triangle side coming down to the bottom...it's the original sculpture of the mouth revealed there...before the tubes would have been added and they were added just as roles of clay.

So....what is it then? Why are there edges on the sides of the mouth where the tubes were cut back? You can't cut fiberglass that way. Maybe Brian can explain that. He's seen the mask. Nothing changes what I said about that.

SithLord wrote:
And yes I have measurements of an ANH mask from 1976 that is larger than the DJ ANH and larger than the TM.

Yes, the TD ANH.

SithLord wrote:
Mine is from ANH.

Yes, according to the account of the previous owner who obtained it from a prop lady who worked on ANH. She also worked on an earlier film that Stuart Freeborn worked on. At this point given the research I've done on the SL ANH do I know for sure if the TD is from the ANH production? No. But I have nothing yet to rule that out definitively so I'm trying to determine when it could have been made. Ok?

SithLord wrote:
This mask's "father" has all the details and even more than a VP or TM, because it's from ANH.

That was in reference to showing a finished casting of the TD before the TD ANH thread....right? And that statement still stands and is easy to illustrate because the TD is ANH, not ESB and it's not cleaned up like the VP. Saying it's from ANH means it is an ANH mask...if I meant it was from the ANH production I would have said so.

SithLord wrote:
Let's just say that mine has ANH details that are missing on the DJ ANH, TM and VP. It has everything that should be on an ANH because it IS ANH, and yes Brian confirmed this.

Yes, again, nothing has changed. Brian agreed it is an ANH mask, not ESB or ROTJ. Of course he couldn't say whether it was from the production or not because he didn't do the fiberglass work so that was an open question.
But unless he can account for every casting made in the production, who knows whether this came from ANH or not...but the account of the previous owner suggests that. It could be false, but that's why I spent four years studying the mask and I stated my ideas clearly about it.

SithLord wrote:
The tubes on mine were cut back, simple. You dont' even notice that where they are cut back you can see the side of the original mouth as it was sculpted by Brian Muir. Ever see that before? :rolleyes

Maybe you should have a close look at HD caps of the Tantive IV scene when Vader chokes the rebel soldier and look at the left side tubes and get back to me. I'm not sure why I have to explain everything to you.

Well? Is it the original side of the mouth? The tubes were added after the mouth was sculpted I assume? How could they be added before? And as for the second part, I showed where there was a dark ring on the side of the tubes on the screen mask...in the same place as were the tubes on the TD ANH were cut back. I never said the mask was sculpted with shorter tubes, only that they could have been cut back both on the TD and on the screen mask because presumably both would have longer...yes longer...tubes and thicker as well then what is on the original sculpture. Now Brian says they look exactly as he sculpted them. But then why the differences in length onscreen? They could then have been changed in the fiberglass casting and that's what I was showing, not that they were sculpted short to begin with which is what you assumed from my statement. Let us dissect this statement since English seems a problem here:

You dont' even notice that where they are cut back you can see the side of the original mouth as it was sculpted by Brian Muir. Ever see that before?

....you can see the side of the original mouth as THE SIDE OF THE ORIGINAL MOUTH WAS SCULPTED by Brian Muir....

NOT THE TUBES SCULPTED THAT WAY.

I don't see how someone can get that from this sentence that the tubes were sculpted shorter. IT refers to the side of the original mouth.

SithLord wrote:
The tabs are as sharp as the TM tabs and identical in size to real ones. Keep in mind this mask was used with a dome and there is wear on the top indicating that. I could strip the paint but it seems to be original paint. The photos are so fuzzy that it's really hard to appreciate the sharpness. The neck on mine is exactly as the original...you dont have to put an extension on it as with the TM and it's not cut back like the VP. Not only that, the neck fits the GH master armor like a glove, and I mean perfectly aligned with it. Nothing else out there I know does. That's how big this thing is. You can simply compare the eyebrows for example...yes they are sharp on the VP and TM but they are not supposed to be...they are modified or altered slightly from the original. Furthermore the undercut on mine exceeds anything else out there and the rear curvature matches the Paul Allen mask perfectly (except mine has more material in the rear). Anyway I could go on but you guys have your favorites and I have mine.

NOTHING CHANGED HERE. So what's your point?

SithLord wrote:
Well during the refinement of the ANH mask, John Barry the production designer instructed Brian Muir to alter the ends of the tusk tubes. The tube ends on mine are slightly wider but the same height. Notice as well on the screen mask that there is evidence of a demarkation where the edge of the tubes toward the ends becomes irregular. I said to look at the left tube end of an HD screencap. Clearly no one did that. There's what looks like a white line right were the cut point is on mine. I'm not sure if mine was cut in the casting but it seems to have been molded from something that had it's tubes cut back. The cut marks suggest it was clay, not fiberglass and it could not have been cut off from a fiberglass casting because what remains is the original side of the mouth in how it was sculpted. Brian Muir took long strips of clay and rolled them round and then stuck them on the side of the face to make the tusk tubes. So if you took away that piece of clay you would see the side of the mouth. That's just one small thing I could point out among many things.

So? Where do I state here that the TUBES WERE SCULPTED WITH CUT ENDS? And I state clearly that I AM NOT SURE...and....IT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MOLDED....the cut marks SUGGEST IT WAS CLAY.....

So where ARE MY STATEMENTS OF FACT HERE???????

SithLord wrote:
You see, you guys haven't really been following the hints I've tried to give you.

Nor to you follow them to this day.

SithLord wrote:
The screen mask did not come out of the original mold. And if you knew how the helmets were made it's obvious why. There was a secondary mold for the screen mask but the master, yes, would not have had tabs. The cast tabs on this mask are the one thing that doesn't make sense because the type of mold this mask came out of is kind of unique.

And? I just held out telling you about the secondary mold made from the plaster master that Brian worked on. But that's what I meant...that the original screen mask DID NOT COME FROM THE MOLD OF THE CLAY SCULPTURE....which you guys forever thought was the original mold. Sorry, wrong. And by unique I meant a two-part mold, front and rear halves which I knew about long before I met Brian because of the attachment on the top where a male part would clip onto implying a front and rear half were tested at one point. Also the seam on my mask indicated that it came from a front and rear half, not from a single fiberglass mask.

SithLord wrote:
This mask obviously wasn't used onscreen. And both Muir and I know that it didn't come out of the original mold, but then again neither did the screen mask. But after Brian did the sculpting it all went to the plasterers and so it was out of his hands. It could have been a test helmet since it has original black paint. But Brian does think it is original.

And? Nothing has changed. The screen mask didn't come out of the mold used to make the plaster master. Sure the odds are against my mask coming out of the secondary mold because Brian said there couldn't be tabs on the plaster master. I knew that a long time ago. But the paint is there. And as I said before that Brian thought it's original but not from the original mold. By that I knew he meant it was authentic, but he couldn't tell me if it was from the production or not. There's still nothing yet that rules that out in my mind. So I'm still looking for something to rule out the claims of the previous owner. Ok?

SithLord wrote:
The question is whether it was used in the production or not. I have evidence that it might have been.

Yes, the size for one thing, the paint flaws for another (like the chin drip being in the paint not in the casting), the foam, the seam, the undercut in the rear, etc. It's not proof, but it's evidence. And I said MIGHT HAVE BEEN. NOT IS. MIGHT HAVE BEEN IS NOT A STATEMENT OF FACT. HELLO!!!!!

SithLord wrote:
Maybe you should compare an ANH from 1976 with an ESB from 1979 side-by-side and get back to me....

Yes, in other words if you are going to say something like the TM ESB is identical to the original ANH then maybe you should do that....as I've done with the TD. There's no question the TD is VERY old. When I got it, it smelled inside like something from the Smithsonian institution...a really bad old smell inside. You want science? As soon as I can get the paint dated I will. Until then I'm proceeding under the believe that it is from that period. Could it be from 1979? Sure but then it should be like the TM and it's not. And the TM is from 1979. Could it be later on? Sure but then it would be smaller and it's not.

So again, quote me where I state as fact that the tubes were sculpted short, that I misquoted Brian, and that I was claiming as fact that my mask was an original ANH mask. It could be from the production, but that's what I've been trying to find out and I've made that clear. It's an ANH mask....is it an ORIGINAL ANH mask? That's what I've been trying to find out. Where does it sit generationally in relation to the screen mask, that's been my question all along. Maybe it was a test fitting mask...who knows? Is it the same generationally as the screen ANH mask? Maybe not....but then why are the tabs different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:40 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
Says SithLord:

SithLord wrote:

Says Brian:

vaderman wrote:
I'd set the records straight when I'm being misquoted as it then becomes documented and then fact.

vaderman wrote:
clay was not laid on top of helmet and thumb was not used to form 'y' impression. He only used his thumb for the nose indentation.

Case closed.

Once! And it's not a misquote, I assumed that's what he did and it was wrong. Maybe someone else told me that at one point that it looked that way but it wasn't. I didn't go through every single detail of how the sculpture was made with him. But I acknowledge if I made a mistake. But you guys like to throw that in my face and say I always misquote him, that I for 3 years have misquoted him. That's insulting frankly because I take great pains to be accurate about what I say and I make it damn clear if it's a suggestion or if I know if for sure. I thought I knew that, but I was wrong.

Brian told me that the tubes were added on separately as rolled out clay. For some reason I thought the center ridge was made that way. I was wrong. Brian corrected me.

If I misinterpret (not misquote) how it was sculpted he can say as much, but I make damn hard that I never misquote anyone so don't generalize from this one instance. And now that he's here he can answer for himself so I need not asssume anything.

If I make one mistake you guys will jump on it. So be it. I know exactly what I post and I stand behind everything I post and if I make a mistake I acknowledge that....why don't you quote the acknowledgement too from that thread? Because you guys like to do that sort of thing I suppose....make others look bad when they are trying to contribute something constructive to the threads.

Sorry Alan and NHM for the OT....but I have a right to defend myself here when they are saying I am misquoting others and stating falsehoods as fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:54 pm 

SithLord wrote:
....but I have a right to defend myself here when they are saying I am misquoting others and stating falsehoods as fact.

"They" is a misstatement.

The subject is "he".

Those were Brian Muir's own words in direct response to a very specific and detailed process of sculpting you spoke authoritatively on his account.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

NOTE TO EVERYONE -

All parties have had their say
SL has responded and before it goes round in circles or gets locked lets get back on topic just as Carsten asked.

If people are unsure - please check the rules as to ignoring staff warnings.

Reviews statuemodellarge-figure-review-section-vf203.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6