It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: Don Post Deluxe - Early Numbers Better Shape... or Not?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
darthlvr wrote:
.... you then believe the weight of the helmet
pushing down on the uncured neck caused the flare we now see today?

That's not what I said. Let's try this one more time.

You're misstating my points twice in a row now. I'd encourage you to re-read my post before I feel I'm being repeatedly misquoted. Thanks for being a sport! :wink:

Please, i am not trying to anger you or misquote you so i am sorry, but below is a quote
from this thread and i am not misquoting you. This is exactly what you said

CSMacLaren wrote:
As with any fiberglass castings, you're going to see fluctuations to shape depending on how the resin of the FG cures. For example, if pulled before it has fully cured and if left on a table, the weight of the mask will cause the neck to sag and spread.

I have read this thread very thoroughly and i am sorry i don't agree with your theory,
but i was told differently directly from Don Post, and that is the molds were flawed, nothing
else..
It's really fun to prove a theory but sometimes the problems are not as complex as we would
like them to be..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:08 pm 

The warped neck seems to be on the majority of the DP DLXs, so I would have to go with the flawed/damaged molds. I would also attribute poor quality control, as is the case with other companies (MR for example).

As far as the numbering and the correlation to warped necks, IMO it was just a matter of the production line person having X amount of plaques to put on whatever amount of helmets were present to him/her at that time. Based on what has been shown, I don't believe there was a conscious decision to put low numbered plaques on early cast helmets that may not have had as severe a warping as later cast helmets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:51 pm 
Random avatar

Darth Karo wrote:
The warped neck seems to be on the majority of the DP DLXs, so I would have to go with the flawed/damaged molds. I would also attribute poor quality control, as is the case with other companies (MR for example).

As far as the numbering and the correlation to warped necks, IMO it was just a matter of the production line person having X amount of plaques to put on whatever amount of helmets were present to him/her at that time. Based on what has been shown, I don't believe there was a conscious decision to put low numbered plaques on early cast helmets that may not have had as severe a warping as later cast helmets.

Darth Karo that is interesting to hear you say, I also believe a certain quantity of plaques were
given out to the finishers and attached in no particular order. This would definitely explain why
the helmets that have neck flare are random.. When you watch How It's Made and they have
episodes when they show a finisher at work, you don't see them working in sequence, they
finish the product as it's handed to them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 pm 

darthlvr wrote:
Please, i am not trying to anger you or misquote you so i am sorry, but below is a quote
from this thread and i am not misquoting you. This is exactly what you said

CSMacLaren wrote:
As with any fiberglass castings, you're going to see fluctuations to shape depending on how the resin of the FG cures. For example, if pulled before it has fully cured and if left on a table, the weight of the mask will cause the neck to sag and spread.

I have read this thread very thoroughly and i am sorry i don't agree with your theory,
but i was told differently directly from Don Post, and that is the molds were flawed, nothing
else..
It's really fun to prove a theory but sometimes the problems are not as complex as we would
like them to be..

Again, you're quoting me out of context. This is the third time now, and you seem to be ignoring what I'm saying as to the context.

In the interest of just maintaining peace, let's just move on.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:21 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
Again, you're quoting me out of context. This is the third time now, and you seem to be ignoring what I'm saying as to the context.

In the interest of just maintaining peace, let's just move on.

I am sorry, but i must insist i am not misquoting you. I rechecked the entire thread to see
if your explanation was different but what i found were these 2 additional quotes taken from
this thread
CSMacLaren wrote:
In terms of the neck, as I made mention in my preceding post, if a mask is pulled a little too early before the resin had a chance to cure, the weight might bear down on the neck and cause it to sag and spread outward.

CSMacLaren wrote:
There is certainly more than on the CKing which was the point of Post #1, which is almost straight on the left (as you look at it). I think what you have is approximately the norm. I think that from the norm (which is flared) you have variances in addition to the norm. If, for example, the masks were pulled prematurely and set upright on a table, the weight would bear down on the neck and cause the neck corners to flare outward. This, however, would not be a mold issue.
If the resin and curing agent mix ratios were incorrect, then some masks may have required additional curing time.

I will agree to move on but i just wanted you to see that i was not misquoting you or taking
anything you said out of context i was just trying to understand your theory as you were
explaining it in these quotes..
I am very sorry for upsetting you..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:34 pm 

Quote:
I am sorry, but i must insist i am not misquoting you.

You're quoting me word for word, but you're quoting me out of context. Do you understand context?

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry, but i must insist i am not misquoting you.

You're quoting me word for word, but you're quoting me out of context. Do you understand context?

Ok for argument sake. What is the theory you believe to be the reason for the neck flare
because i have only seen you discuss one theory and that has been what i have been quoting.
you have already made it clear that you don't believe it to be faulty molds so as an information
nut regarding star wars i am very, very interested to hear your idea's.. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm 

darthlvr

If I correct your misunderstandings - only to see you ignore them....

If I explain myself - only for you to take my quotes out of context...

If I ask you if you understand context - only to see you ignore the question and to ask me about my "theories" (wording you've used more than once)

Enough talking to you. Have a nice day.

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:44 pm 

I should have made this comp shot earlier. This is the difference between the Rubie's and the Don Post's mounting systems:

Cookman, glad you have that sorted out. It does indeed look like someone at some point in the production felt it was an ill fit into the dome's "ashtray" (receiver) and sanded the mounting system down. Although I notice that your resin appears to be white whereas my two appear to be gray (hence there is possibility that somewhere during the production they may have changed either resin color or resin brands) the mounting system and attachment appears to be the real deal.

I believe the DP DLX's mounting system are actually part of the casting and not separate pieces.

Good! Congrats on verifying your mask!

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:38 pm 
Random avatar

CSMacLaren wrote:
darthlvr

If I correct your misunderstandings - only to see you ignore them....

If I explain myself - only for you to take my quotes out of context...

If I ask you if you understand context - only to see you ignore the question and to ask me about my "theories" (wording you've used more than once)

Enough talking to you. Have a nice day.

I do understand context and taking things out of context. I am not distorting anything you have said
just merely repeating it and analyzing it.

I am sorry you feel this way. I am trying to give you the floor to explain how i am misunderstanding
you and i thought i was doing so in an open minded manner. I don't wish to have problems with you.
I am very passionate about this very much like you, i have also done a lot of research on
this particular matter that is why i joined into this discussion.....

If i am misquoting you or taking words that your saying out of context then please correct
me with how. Don't just simply tell me that i am and not explain because i feel that is how we have
come to this impasse..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 pm 

Darth Karo wrote:

So if the majority of DP DLXs had warped necks, then would that mean the majority of the molds were flawed to cause such warpage? Would they have been all similarly flawed to where we don't see too much variation in neck flare width?

What kind of flaw or damage would result in creating a consistent flaw?

Darth Karo wrote:
Based on what has been shown, I don't believe there was a conscious decision to put low numbered plaques on early cast helmets that may not have had as severe a warping as later cast helmets.

Agreed! :thumbsup

- Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:41 pm 

CSMacLaren wrote:
So if the majority of DP DLXs had warped necks, then would that mean the majority of the molds were flawed to cause such warpage? Would they have been all similarly flawed to where we don't see too much variation in neck flare width?

I think that may require compiling as many neck width measurements as possible from the various DPs that exhibit that neck flare. There does seem to be some variations with regard to how warped some necks are (not including the ones that seem to have very little or slight warpage). My understanding of how molds work is if you have a faulty mold, that flaw will get progressively worse and more exaggerated the more that mold is used. I don't claim to be an expert at molding or casting, so if I'm wrong by all means someone let me know. I would imagine that a faceplate mold, for instance, may only yield 10-12 real good casts baring any tears or damage. It is very plausible that DPS may have stretched that number to 25 or even 30, 40, who knows. There is also the possibility that the warpage was intentional, but that doesn't explain the non warped/flared necks.

CSMacLaren wrote:
What kind of flaw or damage would result in creating a consistent flaw?

Not sure if I understand that question correctly, but a multitude of things contribute to flaws and damage in the molding and casting process including, but not limited to climate, handler error, proper mixing of chemicals, lack of or faulty mother jacket, overuse of an already faulty or damaged mold, proper curing time, lack of quality control, experience and a general desire/interest to put out a product that could reflect positively on the person or company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Well. Consider this. They were possibly lent a master from LFL to mold. What if they only had that master for the initial mold and had to remold one of the casts for subsequent molds. Depending on which they picked, the following casts would share the traits of that cast. So, the rumor about the "low numbered being better" may be true... just in terms of the ones made from the first mold and not later ones and nothing to do with the numbers on the plaques.

Though... some of the DP helmets do look strikingly like the later Rubies Fiberglass versions... so how does that explain that Rubies got the master from LFL - the same that was sent to DP - and then have theirs end up looking like some of the worst DP casts?

This is all speculation btw... I have absolutely no idea how DP did things... or what stipilations LFL placed on them during the production. All I know is that a few DP DLX helmets look good, whereas the majority kinda looks like donkey shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:41 pm 

Boy the Den is sloooow for me.

I have to say though that I have seen several low numbered DPD's that do not look like this...although I agree they likely just slapped in whatever plaque was on top of the pile.

That being said I think its a stretch to dismiss this as a simple flaw in quality control...it is too much like the Rubies for that IMHO....unless we were to see more DPD's pop up like this anyway. Add that to the fact that the mesh is both different and glued in like a Rubies and the strap/clips are the Rubies versions. I doubt they would change those items anywhere in the run, especially since those items are commonly available.

Very strange indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 pm 
Random avatar

NoHumorMan wrote:
Well. Consider this. They were possibly lent a master from LFL to mold. What if they only had that master for the initial mold and had to remold one of the casts for subsequent molds. Depending on which they picked, the following casts would share the traits of that cast. So, the rumor about the "low numbered being better" may be true... just in terms of the ones made from the first mold and not later ones and nothing to do with the numbers on the plaques.

Though... some of the DP helmets do look strikingly like the later Rubies Fiberglass versions... so how does that explain that Rubies got the master from LFL - the same that was sent to DP - and then have theirs end up looking like some of the worst DP casts?

This is interesting. Maybe DP did send back the helmet too soon and when they needed a new
mold they just took a helmet off the shelf to create a new one.. Thats a really good theory
NoHumorMan

I had heard a rumor going back some years that someone at DP switched the real helmet with
a replica before it returned to the LFL archives. If this really happened and it wasn't a rumor
then this could explain why the rubies helmet looks so bad. Maybe the fake was from an
extremely poor mold.. The only other thing that i am wondering is would LFL send rubies the
same helmet that DP had used in their production? If so then this could explain a lot.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next