It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC

THE PROP DEN is primarily a Darth Vader Prop Discussion Board, but we also deal with other Star Wars Props as well as Prop Replicas from other movies. If you do not yet have an account, set one up, sign in and jump into the Vader Prop Discussions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Re: ESB and RotJ Vader helmet's -what do we know?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

No, it certainly wouldn't. Looking forward to hearing and seeing what this thing is. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:10 am 

Me too - although part of me is expecting a real duff vader - you know the "original" ones we've all seen in the past trhat look like the plastic Don Post's ugly brother :lol

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Hey... don't knock it. Don't you know that if you think it's the real deal... it may turn up as the real deal... if you think it's a turd... it'd taste funny.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this Jez, whatever it may turn out to be.

The last Vader discovery you brought to light, the MP suit turned out to be extremely nice even though it wasn't screen used :salut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:59 pm 

Star Wars Helmets wrote:

Do we still think there were 6 (or maybe 7) made for ESB?

Based on what I showed in my post, there are definitely 7 helmets seen on screen (possibly 8). The Dagobah cave fighting helmet is unknown whether it's the one used in the rolling scene and the pyro shot that's been sliced off by Luke. So potentially you could have 1 or 2 more.

I believe Don Bies stated that some of the ESBs he saw had the mounts molded in. There is a mold in the archives, which I've also shown, that has the mounts molded in. Based on the distinct differences between ESB faceplates/domes and ROTJ faceplates/domes and adding in what Brian has already shared, I believe there were new faceplates/domes made for ROTJ.

Looking forward to what you have to show.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Jez, you are killing us with anticipation. :ac10

:cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 am 

I'm still waiting for some quality photographs - and agree it is frustrating.

The owner sent me a few last week but they were so poor (lighting, focus etc.) that they were completely unusable.

Ive asked the owner to initially concentrate on the helmet and to take a load of shots from every angle OUTSIDE from 6 feet away. As soon as I have something I'll post it up here.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:55 pm 

Thanks for doing this, Jez. Also, at least one shot of the thing looking directly into the camera and not looking upwards. Those iconic "looking up at the sky" shots are often useless when it comes to doing comparative analysis.

- Mac
( Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sculptingvader/ )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Can't wait... rubbing hands together... this is gonna be fun! :cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:58 pm 

Well ater a considerable amount of waiting the owner has finally sent me some photos of the helmet, so here they are.

Please can I ask that they are not copied beyond TPD at this point. I understand that people may want to copy them to their hard drives and Ive no problem with that - just lets keep any discussions on this forum please.

I'm conscious that I dont want to prejudice any discussion here so wont say anything until you guys have had your say first. However, just to recap this is a helmet (part of an ensemble costume) which the owner informs me he's confident its original, screen-used and backed with some (non studio) provenance - purchased from what I can tell in the mid 1990's for a significant sum. Note that despite a request, Ive yet to see internal or dome connection images.

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:59 am 

I’m by no way close to being as knowledgeable as some of the other members here but if you want a novice’s take on it my initial impression is that it appears more RotJ than ESB. Well the dome does at very least as I’m not that good at distinguishing the different faceplates as yet.

Hopefully we will hear from the real experts soon but that is my two cents for what it’s worth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 am 
Site Admin

That's a very nice looking helmet and thanks for showing it.

I agree with that view. Definitely not an ESB - at least not one I know of or have seen. Detailing all points to RotJ style. The shapes are remarkably soft compared to what I would expect from a supposedly screen used helmet, but that could simply be a too thick paint application. It's just painted oddly.

I really don't know what else to say.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:31 pm 

I agree with the softness - and its concerning for an "original" helmet.

Any other views?

Cheers

Jez

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:24 pm 

Thanks for the pics.

A few observations, although it has what appears to be ROTJ style tusks and an ROTJ dome, the face is more ESB than ROTJ. Based on what I can make out, the left side nose knotch is missing which is a very distinct ROTJ feature. It also has the mouth crease line worm, which is seen on ESB screenused faceplates and although I haven't studied the ROTJ faceplates much, I don't recall ever seeing that feature on screenused ROTJ faceplates. The mouth wall thickness is more ESB than ROTJ. I agree the features are soft and not what I would expect or have seen from screenused faceplates for both ESB and ROTJ. The mouth and chin mesh is not accurate for either ESB or ROTJ and certainly not accurate for any screenused version, same goes for the lenses. Their shape and color do not look screen accurate for either version. The thickness of the chin vent should be thinner for both ROTJ and ESB. There is a slight ROTJish look to the neck actually based on the curves and protrusion etc, but that could just be from the angles. There is a bit of concern from me about the tusk tubes. The left is longer than the right and the left looks to have been altered/repaired. I'd have to see better pics from the other side and closer up.

I'd ask him to provide better photos if possible. I realize he believing it is screenused, only to find out it isn't is not a good feeling considering the amount he may have paid, but he still has a real nice helmet there. I'd be curious to see the rest of the ensemble if he is willing to show it and of course pics of the dome/faceplate attachments. A shot of the rear would be helpful too.

It may have been a tour costume he purchased. Also the paint looks rather pristine for a screenused helmet. Does he have any info in what scene this would have appeared?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the comments Karo, I cant disagree with anything you've said.

Here we have someone who genuinely believes they have an "original" production made/poss screen used helmet, armor and costume but IMO everything in these photos points to a replica - or possibly tour. However the difference in value and importance are light years apart; on one hand a nice Vader helmet from one of the unique castings with clear lineage is worth $2-5k, whereas an original production/screen used helmet is probably worth in excess of $150k.

A couple of weeks ago he sent me these photos but I was so disappointed that I did not show them here - but think now is a good time.

He has said that everything here is original apart from the chest box and belt (inc boxes)

Cheers

Jez

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next